Worst TD tracks

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

sparrow wrote:I used to dislike most TD soundtracks, especially sorcerer. Nowadays they do get an airing. I've always liked Heartbreakers just for it's nice melodic sound.
Sorcerer is one of the better ones for me!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

for me all the tracks from TD are good or very very goods.
But two minuts from TD are better than one minute and one minute is better than 33 seconds from TD and for me the worst track from TD is "off to see beverly" because i think this is the shortest (33 seconds).

Charles
Last edited by la sagesse du destin on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

la sagesse du destin wrote:for me all the tracks from TD are good or very vert goods.
But two minuts from TD are better than one minute and one minute is better than 33 seconds from TD and for me the worst track from TD is "off to see beverly" because i think this is the shortest (33 seconds).

Charles
I like your thought process Charles.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Erik

Post by Erik »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:I went back and listened to Destination Berlin (mainly because I couldn't remember what "Wall Street" sounded like). Whoa, that's a tough listen nowadays. Thing about that album is (keeping in mind that it is a soundtrack), that it's more a bunch of themes than compositions. There is such a lack of depth and substance--completely superficial. What's more, they seemed to use only one rhythm pattern and the same two or three keyboard voicings thoughout. While the music may be suitable for purpose for which it was intended, it simply doesn't stand on its own, they way almost all other TD soundtracks do. And "Wall Street" is difficult to even try to take seriously.
i hate to bump such an old topic, and i'd hate to take anyone's post out of context. but i really liked the way you put it in this post. i think original soundtracks, by any artist, have a 50/50 shot at being good. they either need to be paired with their corresponding "moments", or they are just great compositions to begin with. but in this case, it was too simple and too "novelty". i think Wall Street was the strongest track on Destination Berlin, and i think it was decent enough whenever it was played live. it's good in that context. in terms of soundtracks, i don't normally like theirs. they can be pretty bland. Wavelength was tragic (movie and music). i still gotta hear Thief and Firestarter. i've heard good things. i loved Legend and Shy People (Dancing on a White Moon!!).

as for contributing my thoughts to the thread, their are some weak spots for me sadly. i'm even one of those freaks who thinks the Melrose albums were pure gold. i always have a great time with them. but despite the fact that i love a HUGE array of TD music, their are two studio albums that i cannot get into. i'm not one to just go "this sucks" and move on. i'd like to go a little deeper than that

Goblin's Club. well, Tyranny was good, and Mars Polaris was a good start to a new "era". but Goblin's Club gives me the weirdest vibe. like it was TD in some strange alternate dimension where they weren't themselves anymore.

1. Towards the Evening Star is great, and i can tell why it ended up on future releases. i really thought i was gonna enjoy this whole album from that point.

2. right after that is Darwin's Motel. this ended up on Cyberjam collection i believe, as it should. it ain't too bad at all. for unknown reasons, i was expecting the track to get a little more exciting. or maybe it should've been shorter. but it's got a very pleasant energy. and strangely i feel this about every track to varying degrees. i liked vocals for this and Evening Star. to be honest, this track has a cheap sound to it at the start. it progresses pretty well though

3. not too bad either! those "clanking" sounds that are used are my only complaint

4. Rising Haul isn't horrible for the most part, but that harp is so abysmal. and the snare drums are kinda bad

5. United Goblin's Parade. i remember hating this. the time signature rubbed me the wrong way. but when it picks up, it's got a "Talking to Maddox" vibe in it. and that's not a bad thing. i feel like this would work really well as a soundtrack. some days, this sounds ok. on other days, i just think it's bad. it's causing me inner conflict.

6. Lamb With Radar Eyes. this had some re-workings that i very much enjoyed. the one on Vintage Vanguard is a gem. but the original, i don't remember too much. but after hearing it just now, i suddenly didn't feel so "distanced" from the album.

7. Elf June. if i were to simply score it, it would be a 5/10. speaking of which, this article has incorrect info. apparently it's first appearance was in 2006, lol
http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/_elf_ju ... patrol.htm

8. Sad Merlin's Sunday. i really don't care for the first 2 minutes. after that, it has such a classy old TD sound. it's got some really odd pacing variation, but it works. the end gets weak unfortunately.

Forth Worth Runway One. hmm.....i don't think this should've been on the album

in the end, it's hard to say whether i enjoyed it or not. it's their most unbalanced album for me. but i guess even at their worst, they aren't too bad at all.

as for the second, Autumn in Hiroshima. a FAR better experience, but i'm very disinterested until about halfway through. now when you reach Oracular World, things get good. i like the Atomic Seasons albums, but this was the weakest entry for me.
6.5/10 overall.

now is Mota Atma a soundtrack or just a regular ol' studio release? if it's the latter, i guess i'll include that too. none of the tracks themselves are bad by any standard, but they shouldn't be together. they are all WAY too similar.

i'm not gonna hold anything against them in regards to unreleased soundtracks. they are very unimportant. they can have some hidden gems (streethawk, vampira, kneuss, Geradeaus), and some flops. and they are more often bad than good. Spasms and Vision Quest Jump to mind. maybe i'm remembering them wrong. "Jahreszeiten der Liebe" has some stunningly awful music.
Last edited by Erik on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I like longer posts, and it is a nice break-down of Goblin's Club you have here. Makes more sense when you describe why you don't care for each track.

Still this shows how different we are, because Goblin's Club is actually one of my favourite albums by TD. I don't get tired of it, and I also like the "companion album" Tournado, with nice live versions.

PS. I only have Tournado as a part of the Lamb With Radar Eyes double set.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I hate the vocal tracks on Cyclone as I hate everything about the singing :evil:
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

For me the worst track TD made is "Dancing on a white moon".

Terrible!!!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

phaedra1974 wrote:For me the worst track TD made is "Dancing on a white moon".

Terrible!!!
Never heard that one. How is it? Hehe.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I find Sad Merlin's Sunday one of the better Goblins Club tracks.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Justin wrote:I find Sad Merlin's Sunday one of the better Goblins Club tracks.
Agreed :P
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I'm very fond of Goblin's Club. Sad Merlin's Sunday isn't one of my favourite tracks but that isn't to say I don't like it. It's just that there are (IMO) better tracks on the album.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

Dancing on a White Moon really isn't TD-ish. but i really love that song. their vocal projects are always good with me.

now i have yet to say i completely hate one of their albums. there are some things about Goblin's Club that kinda grow on me, but the tracks are just too inconsistent in of themselves. i'll enjoy a part of it, and there will be elements to the track i don't like. like how i was with Rising Haul and United Goblin's Club. unfortunately, the downsides outweighed the good by too much. i bet i could like it a little more if it was a good day.

if Goblin's Club was like a cupdisc it would be awesome.

1. Lamb with the Radar Eyes
2. an abridged version of At Darwin's Motel. if it's gonna be the way it is, it shouldn't be 7 minutes.
3. Toward the Evening Star
4. Rising Haul (a good live version)

Tournado was pretty good! Rising Haul is so much better live for some reason. it has some great guitar playing. but what is up with the harp? ick
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Have to say that Elf June and The Midnight Patrol is absolute pure class (IMO). Linda Spa doesn't write too much stuff for TD but when she does it's usually pretty special.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

i have nothin bad to say about it, but it should've been given the honour of being played live!
Last edited by Erik on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Erik wrote: 1. Towards the Evening Star is great, and i can tell why it ended up on future releases. i really thought i was gonna enjoy this whole album from that point.
That would describe my feelings toward 'Tangram Set 1.' Back when TD was completely alien to me, I heard the first 3 1/2 minutes of this track on Youtube and thought it was great. After all, everybody seemed to be raving about this album. But when I got the album over a year later, I was shocked to find that most of the music fell way below first three minutes. To this day, I still consider Tangram a big disappointment.

I also checked out 'Towards The Evening Star' once during those early Youtube days. I don't remember being blown away by it, but I distinctly recall thinking the vocals were a weird turn-off. This is coming from a guy who also heard 'Rising Runner Missed By Endless Sender' and loved it. But when I finally got Goblin's Club, I immediately fell for this song, vocals and all.
Erik wrote:8. Sad Merlin's Sunday. this is simply not Tangerine Dream. too cold to be a closing track. when it's all said and done, all i can think is "oh dear god...". it might be one of my least favourite official studio tracks by them. i'm ok with them playing jazz, covering chart toppers, and being cheesy. but this never should've been recorded. ever. The Phantom Menace of their discography.
I've always felt very similarly about 'Sphinx Lightning,' which never really appealed to me. Just as 'SL' seemed like the odd-track-out on Hyperborea, 'Sad Merlin's Sunday' was in the same boat. It's probably the most experimental track on the album, and I simply couldn't get it for a long time. The track's length certainly didn't help. But it's grown on me a lot, though, so I actually don't mind listening to it now. It's not in the "worst" category, but it still remains my least favorite part of the album.

I've always been fond of 'On Crane's Passage' and 'Elf June And The Midnight Patrol.' In fact, I did a cover version of both those songs as a medley. Listening to it closely, I've come to realize that 'On Crane's Passage' resembles a straight-faced take on 'Graffiti Street.'

I agree with you about the drums on 'Rising Haul In Silence,' though. While I like the song, I think it could've used a better snare.

I find 'United Goblin's Parade' very listenable, but otherwise it's one of the weaker tracks. I don't mind Edgar's guitar solo, but I'd prefer he use a more distorted lead effect than the limp-sounding one he used. The same criticism goes for 'Haze Of Fame' on the previous album. But I agree about the beat on 'UGP.' Sometimes I think Edgar should've left most of the percussion duties to Jerome.