first TD you ever heard

RemoteViewing81
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by RemoteViewing81 »

Stratosfear (1976)

While working at a record store in 1979.
"The aim of the music [of Tangerine Dream] is to paint surreal pictures with musical instruments."

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

The beginning of "Tangram Set 1".

And it changed my life forever... :D :D :D
Art_of_Fantasy

Post by Art_of_Fantasy »

Beach Scene , still one of my most favorite songs.
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

Crystal curfew
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

"Das Mädchen auf der Treppe" (the girl on the stairs) was my first listen.
And I did not like it.
Little later I saw the logos tour and I was an fan :-)
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Stratosfear, back in October 1980 or rather 1981, I think.

I have to thank a schoolmate who had bought a lot of second-hand LP's in the USA during the summer of 1980 and 1981 and was also lent some other stuff by a friend in his class, including this record of TD that he made me listen to. I was heavily into Jean-Michel Jarre at the time. I was not completely in love with this music but I certainly liked it. So I bought Stratosfear and a bit later the new album Exit that was just released. I noticed the huge differences between the two and went on digging farther... I was lent "Force Majeure" and then "Rubycon" by the same mate the year after, then "Cyclone" that I didn't like much. I bought "White Eagle" when it was released in 82, and the following albums, plus I bought some of the older stuff, regularly. Encore, Ricochet, also Force Majeure, Phaedra, Alpha Centauri, Atem and Zeit. Those 3 ones were hard to appreciate, especially Zeit. Even Phaedra was a bit too "abstract" for me in the beginning.
I kept my audio tape of "Rubycon" for many years, which was stupid, as the LP had such a nice gatefold sleeve. I loved the album yet ! But well... I wanted to save money I guess.I played the tape so often that I knew it by heart before I could find the LP, I think. Then I thought it wasn't worth buying the LP, as my tape was good... I never owned it then... I bought Rubycon on CD in 90 maybe, whose bad sound made me cringe, and then the remastered edition...
To this day I still do not own Electronic Meditation yet ! And I bought Cyclone only a few years ago... I liked the first side but not the second. I haven't changed my mind about this, in spite of numerous attempts.

I became aware of Edgar Froese solo material a few years after that, I'd say in 84/85. and I loved most of it. Especially Epsilon in Malaysian Pale.
Last edited by Marc M on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Marc M wrote:I bought Cyclone only a few years ago... I liked the first side but not the second.
really? interesting
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Jon

Post by Jon »

A friend played Le Parc (the track) in May 1991. Immediately hooked.
DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter »

Cloudburst Flight. I think it was on Fluff's Saturday Rock Show on BBC Radio 1. I was a big prog fan so it was love at first listen. Then I got the Dream Sequence 2CD for my birthday and never looked back
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Probably White Eagle when I was 12-13 years in the middle 80's. My brother had it on LP. Mojave Plan got me hooked.
Did not really start collecting and discover all the other TD music untill many years later though.
Goseba

Post by Goseba »

I had just started to really get in to Kraftwerk in '78 and a friend at school sold me his copy of Sorcerer. And then I was hooked.
zygote23

Post by zygote23 »

Sorcerer....way back on cassette around 1978. I then travelled backwards in time and picked up the back catalogue.

I never really got any of the more recent stuff. I'm afraid it all sounds a little too music by numbers for me.

However.....Ricochet, Rubycon, Stratosfear, Poland, Pergamon etc still make my skin crawl they are so good.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Rubycon in 1975. Birthday present from my brother. Hated it. Brought it back from a foreign-exchange trip to France. The only thing he could find that I would remotely like.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

Ricochet, Saffron Records, St Austel, Cornwall 1977

Loved the cover, asked the store manager if I could hear a bit and he played all of side 2 loud in the store. The rising sequence after the piano part blew me away and I bought it there and then.

About a week later I flogged all my other records to buy TD
Erik

Post by Erik »

i don't know what it is about the ricochet cover, but i love it. great design. i wish i could have a t-shirt or a poster of it
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "