Buying the original Moog Modular

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Buying the original Moog Modular

Post by 24db »

probably old news, but what the heck:

Edgar Froese: "The Rolling Stones had purchased a massive modular system from Moog in 1969** . Mick Jagger tried for a long time to produce a few particular sounds with it but had no luck and eventually wanted to sell the machine*. Of course, when we heard it was available we were very excited and took immediate steps to get it. The system was composed of several large units and we purchased it piece by piece over a period of time. We had the whole machine only shortly before we began recording Phaedra and went into the studio without having used it beforehand. Luckily, and here's something I've never admitted to anyone, luckily we managed to hook up the machine more or less correctly without knowing how to at all. We connected the wires between the various components, the sequencer, oscillator, filter and so forth, using pure guesswork. So much of what you hear on Phaedra was accidental".

* It also appears in a movie Jagger starred in, titled 'Performance'. Rumour has it he was given lessons on how to use it for 5 weeks. Several members of the group had them in fact, as odd as that might sound

** It was probably autumn 1968, at that time it cost $11,000, TD later bought it for DM800,000
Chris Monk

Re: Buying the original Moog Modular

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:probably old news, but what the heck:

Edgar Froese: "The Rolling Stones had purchased a massive modular system from Moog in 1969** . Mick Jagger tried for a long time to produce a few particular sounds with it but had no luck and eventually wanted to sell the machine*. Of course, when we heard it was available we were very excited and took immediate steps to get it. The system was composed of several large units and we purchased it piece by piece over a period of time. We had the whole machine only shortly before we began recording Phaedra and went into the studio without having used it beforehand. Luckily, and here's something I've never admitted to anyone, luckily we managed to hook up the machine more or less correctly without knowing how to at all. We connected the wires between the various components, the sequencer, oscillator, filter and so forth, using pure guesswork. So much of what you hear on Phaedra was accidental".

* It also appears in a movie Jagger starred in, titled 'Performance'. Rumour has it he was given lessons on how to use it for 5 weeks. Several members of the group had them in fact, as odd as that might sound

** It was probably autumn 1968, at that time it cost $11,000, TD later bought it for DM800,000
My wife would say "Typical man.... doesn't bother to read the manual".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
24db

Post by 24db »

A couple of other bits of trivia:

Franke had the Moog built into a large custom case (current photos actually suggest 1974, not 1975 as Chris claims, but hey I wasn't there. Ok?) and it was this cabinet that Franke had a slight problem with in Australia in 1975...'ARGGHH!!! fizzle'! see the jokey 'Danger live/Danger of Death' sign on Chris's Moog during the European 1978 tour (plus a Baby doll sitting on Steve Jolliffe's Electric Piano...honest I'm not making this up).

About the Sign:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -1978.html

back to the Moog...

Franke later flogged it to his friend Hans Zimmer (the photos exist Kevin! ;)), who was then playing in the band Helden (no, not the French band...note the 'E'). The band comprised of Hans with Warren Cann (of Ultravox fame) plus a vocalist (if I wasn't lazy too I'd go and check). They even appeared at the Planetarium in London, just like Schulze. The old Moog also makes a brief appearance in the Buggle's 'Video Killed the Radio Star'.
Last edited by 24db on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

The mighty Moog Modular,

Not something you could buy for a crispy tenner, that's for sure :lol:
24db

Post by 24db »

Kind of funny how equipment gets passed around:

1.(Mick Jagger) The Rolling Stones=(Chris Franke) Tangerine Dream (adding another Moog from the Moody Blues)=sold=(Hans Zimmer) withHelden=Hans Zimmer film scores (actually the real story is a bit more complex...but that's for another night)

2. Florian Fricke (4 case)=Klaus Schulze (Klaus: "I'd never sell the Moog, it would be like selling my soul")=sold to Peter Namlook (And yes I did ask him)=?

3. Projekt Elektronik Modular=Peter Baumann=Tangerine Dream=Chris Franke in Hollywood (storage facility)

4. TD Moog Modular (3 case)=Peter Baumann (75)=Edgar Froese (76 onwards)=ends up with fans, split up and sold=now in several countries

5. Helmut Grothe sequencers=Tangerine Dream=skip (Well...Edgar said 'recycled'...sorry Fabio) ;)

6. Edgar's Blues Harp/harmonica=Edgar=my shelf...sorry couldn't resist ;)

only rough...don't get bent out of shape if I'm wrong...ok? :)
Last edited by 24db on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:The mighty Moog Modular,

Not something you could buy for a crispy tenner, that's for sure :lol:
at the bottom of the market you could have got one for hundreds, infact I heard a rumour of place giving one away (it was in terrible condition having been kept in a damp barn for 20 years) if you took it away 'on the day'. Live and learn ;)

Overated piece of old junk though ;)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

There was a Moog Modular on E Bay a while back..starting bid was $$$$$ didn't sell .
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:Kind of funny how equipment gets passed around:

1.(Mick Jagger) The Rolling Stones=(Chris Franke) Tangerine Dream (adding another Moog from the Moody Blues)=sold=(Hans Zimmer) withHelden=Hans Zimmer film scores (actually the real story is a bit more complex...but that's for another night)

2. Florian Fricke=Klaus Schulze=Peter Namlook=?

3. Projekt Elektronik Modular=Peter Baumann=Tangerine Dream=Chris Franke in Hollywood (storage facility)

4. TD Moog Modular (3 case)=Peter Baumann (75)=Edgar Froese (76 onwards)=ends up with fans, split up and sold=now in several countries

5. Helmut Grothe sequencers=Tangerine Dream=skip (Well...Edgar said 'recycled'...sorry Fabio) ;)

Andy, how old was Edgar's harmonica that you won?

Is that THE harmonica used on 3 a.m. At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee?
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:

Is that THE harmonica used on 3 a.m. At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee?
Not that old mate...apparently used on MFD and the DVD
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:

Not that old mate...apparently used on MFD and the DVD
Ah okay.
24db

Post by 24db »

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... blues.html

not brand new though, so I'd imagine Edgar had it for several years
Last edited by 24db on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db

Post by 24db »

Back to the Moog. By 1976 it had quite a few modules in it by the likes of PE (910 Time ontroller & 920 Programmer), so perhaps it shouldn't be called a Moog Modular anymore? ;)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Mick makes pretty good use of it in the film, but the credit should go to either Jack Nietzche for it, or the director Don Cammell with Nicholas Roeg on the camera maybe ... because they created a heck of a far out sequence that even MTV never had the guts, gall or balls or beauty to ever show real music!

That. still, is one of the best films ever made, that most people will not see, understand, or care to enjoy. It is a magnificent film but I am not sure that there are very many Nicholas Roeg's out there that know how to use music properly. Check out "Who Are You" in "Bad Timing, A Sensual Obsession" ... and later Keith Jarrett in the same movie! You have to have the willingness to bend the movie and the visual to the music or vice versa, or it's just another "theme" or a "snipet" for a Hollywood production ... in fact, checl out many of the Babylon 5 CD's and how badly Chris Franke's music was used. So badly directed as to say that it was simply wasted 90% of the time and a lot more could have been done with it!

I've wanted to create visuals for TD, and in some cases, find a way to show it somewhere or to someone ... but I am not sure that something sexy, and suggestive is what Edgar wants to see off his Phaedra ... heck even Klaus did his Bodylove ... I can do better than DeRenzy and make the music make sense instead of not!
Seeker_UK

Re: Buying the original Moog Modular

Post by Seeker_UK »

24db wrote: * It also appears in a movie Jagger starred in, titled 'Performance'. Rumour has it he was given lessons on how to use it for 5 weeks. Several members of the group had them in fact, as odd as that might sound
It does:

http://60x50.blogspot.com/2008/05/man-from-moog.html
Occasionally recording as Chromengel: Click here for the music

New CD out, "Meridians" For more details Click Here