TD's greatest ever concerts

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

coldwater wrote:jeez! you are better than 118
cheers

24db wrote:just checked...it was a 10 minute version of Logos
:D...er, well I'm cheaper anyway ;)

The second half of the recording is fantastic...especially the opening section of Mojave Plan
24db

Post by 24db »

Tangerine Tree Vol 89 Hammersmith Odeon running time 1:52:24
COOTHEBLUE

Post by COOTHEBLUE »

Manchester Apollo in 1986. The first time i saw Tangerine Dream and then it was on my aunty's recommendation as i had not heard of TD let alone anything by them. To this day i have never been to a better concert. I came out of the theatre with my head in bits and when i got home i could not explain how good the concert was, i could just not do it justice.
Went out on the following day and bought stratosfear and thief on vinyl.

Thus began a wonderful love affair.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM good enough for dixie and good enough for me- IN MY BLUE EVERTONIA

YOHJI YAMAMOTO-the king of cool
24db

Post by 24db »

COOTHEBLUE wrote:Manchester Apollo in 1986. The first time i saw Tangerine Dream and then it was on my aunty's recommendation as i had not heard of TD let alone anything by them. To this day i have never been to a better concert. I came out of the theatre with my head in bits and when i got home i could not explain how good the concert was, i could just not do it justice.
Went out on the following day and bought stratosfear and thief on vinyl.

Thus began a wonderful love affair.
the UK 1986 tour was good, the first half left me a bit bored, but the second half and encores were stunning
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: That was Chris Franke hitting a syn-drum pad if I remember correctly.
Chris, which syn-drum pad?...do you mean on his modular?
No. Chris had a single syn-drum pad, approximately six inches across, next to his keyboards. We were in the front of the balcony of the Colston Hall and you could see him turn around from to hit it.
Moog 1130 Drum Controllers x 2?
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Favourite concert is Montreal Palace Des Arts April 9th 1977

Awesome (as is Encore).
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote: Chris, which syn-drum pad?...do you mean on his modular?
No. Chris had a single syn-drum pad, approximately six inches across, next to his keyboards. We were in the front of the balcony of the Colston Hall and you could see him turn around from to hit it.
On the '82 Germany Tour he had not played it and I never saw it on a picture.
24db

Post by 24db »

intercorni wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: No. Chris had a single syn-drum pad, approximately six inches across, next to his keyboards. We were in the front of the balcony of the Colston Hall and you could see him turn around from to hit it.
On the '82 Germany Tour he had not played it and I never saw it on a picture.
that's cos I'm referring to 1980/81
Last edited by 24db on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

24db wrote:that's cos I'm referring to 1980/81
thanks very interesting!
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Recently listened again to quite a lot of TD concerts.

What I find really interesting is the sound for:
Sheffield City Hall Oct. 29th 1974
Bradford St. George's Hall Nov. 26th 1974
Glasgow Kelvin Hall Nov. 20th 1974

The music is mainly ambient with various sound textures, and only a few parts have some temporary minimal sequencers. Given that Phaedra was released in Feb. 1974, it's interesting how most of these tours do not have sequencers but are ambient based. Perhaps it could be that the sequencers were not reliable enough at that stage. However in Reims Dec. 13th 1974 there are quite a lot of aggressive sequencers, and this is shortly after the UK tour.

So if anything, IMO, the 1974 UK concerts are more similar to the 1973 concerts (Saint Ouen, Les Ponts de Cé and Berlin). So while the 1974 UK gigs were after Phaedra's release, they seem to fit the pink years more, i.e. Atem.
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:Recently listened again to quite a lot of TD concerts.

The music is mainly ambient with various sound textures, and only a few parts have some temporary minimal sequencers. Given that Phaedra was released in Feb. 1974, it's interesting how most of these tours do not have sequencers but are ambient based. Perhaps it could be that the sequencers were not reliable enough at that stage. However in Reims Dec. 13th 1974 there are quite a lot of aggressive sequencers, and this is shortly after the UK tour.

So if anything, IMO, the 1974 UK concerts are more similar to the 1973 concerts (Saint Ouen, Les Ponts de Cé and Berlin). So while the 1974 UK gigs were after Phaedra's release, they seem to fit the pink years more, i.e. Atem.
It's bit hard to judge a whole tour from only a handful of recordings mate (and only incomplete ones at that), although I wouldn't say you're too far from the truth in what you say. The recordings from 73 seem more organ basedzzzzzzzzz ;) plus a bit of widdlly modulation stuff from their EMS gear with some concerts relying on taped backing tracks for the rhythm parts (Bass guitar with echo for example). The UK '74 tour was IMHO TD feeling their way around what their equipment was capable of. By the end of the year and into 1975 the group were able to gain experience and confidence and therefore able move to the next level.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:

It's bit hard to judge a whole tour from only a handful of recordings mate (and only incomplete ones at that), although I wouldn't say you're too far from the truth in what you say. The recordings from 73 seem more organ basedzzzzzzzzz ;) plus a bit of widdlly modulation stuff from their EMS gear with some concerts relying on taped backing tracks for the rhythm parts (Bass guitar with echo for example). The UK '74 tour was IMHO TD feeling their way around what their equipment was capable of. By the end of the year and into 1975 the group were able to gain experience and confidence and therefore able move to the next level.
Thanks Andy

Yes I am ware that unfortunately I haven't got al the recordings from the tour, and probably not all of them are full recordings either, but it does makes sense what you say, that for concerts, TD were finding their ground with their equipment. Reims 1974 really starts to get into a more structured direction, towards RAH 1975, with more sequencers, mellotron, etc.

But judging from those three concerts I have from the UK 1974 tour, it seems that while TD were already a Virgin label band, their music then was mainly pink years orientated.
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:
24db wrote:

Thanks Andy

Yes I am ware that unfortunately I haven't got al the recordings from the tour, and probably not all of them are full recordings either, but it does makes sense what you say, that for concerts, TD were finding their ground with their equipment. Reims 1974 really starts to get into a more structured direction, towards RAH 1975, with more sequencers, mellotron, etc.

But judging from those three concerts I have from the UK 1974 tour, it seems that while TD were already a Virgin label band, their music then was mainly pink years orientated.
I hear at the Leicester concert in 1974 things were more rhythmic