TD in London - ROYAL ALBERT HALL - 1st APRIL 2010

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

TDludo wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:I take my seat and shortly the lights dim. Four cellists take the stage in Venetian masks. I exclaim “No?” the Frenchman next to me exclaims “Non?” They start to play Birth of Liquid Pleiades. After a few seconds I notice that TQ is on stage, adding synth lines. It’s a beautiful sound, I just want it to go on and on but all too soon it’s over.
Thanks for these interesting written memories, Chris. :)
A funny thing : I was the Frenchman next to you ! I remember you exclaiming "No ?" at the beginning and then I exclaimed "Non ? Incroyable !" :lol: So it's nice to have "met you" (sort of).
And I agree : the Hall and the concert were amazing.
Cheers. :D

Hope to see you at a future TD concert.

RAH 2010 was superb....

....had been a little "blue" before the show (due to extreme stress at work) but the concert really picked me up.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
24db

Post by 24db »

fantastic write-up Chris, many thanks.

Sadly I'm too lazy to write anything (yet)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:fantastic write-up Chris, many thanks.

Thanks for that Andy, it means a lot.

Have to say though that I felt compelled to write a short piece about the show, in the hopes that someone from TD looks in and understands that all their hard work is appreciated.

Another couple of thoughts that have crossed my mind:
1. Didn't miss the lasers at all.
2. TD definitely benefit from more atmospheric/subdued lighting.
3. TD's playing on the night was tighter than any show I've seen them play for a while. The short tour seems to have helped.
4. Must admit that I felt a little guilty about Long Island Sunset. I'm sure it was us banging on about it on this here forum that got it played. Poor Linda must have been run ragged. She rose to the occasion magnificantly though. To my ears it's the best version I've heard played, that includes the studio version. I was very much impressed with Linda's playing on the night. Me thinks she's been hiding her abilities under the proverbial bushel.
5. Bernie appears to be getting more into the TD-thing, introducing new sounds and effects, rather than just playing along and adding the occasion solo. This is a good thing IMO.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:

Have to say though that I felt compelled to write a short piece about the show, in the hopes that someone from TD looks in and understands that all their hard work is appreciated.

3. TD's playing on the night was tighter than any show I've seen them play for a while. The short tour seems to have helped.
4. Must admit that I felt a little guilty about Long Island Sunset. I'm sure it was us banging on about it on this here forum that got it played. Poor Linda must have been run ragged. She rose to the occasion magnificantly though. To my ears it's the best version I've heard played, that includes the studio version. I was very much impressed with Linda's playing on the night. Me thinks she's been hiding her abilities under the proverbial bushel.
5. Bernie appears to be getting more into the TD-thing, introducing new sounds and effects, rather than just playing along and adding the occasion solo. This is a good thing IMO.
No problem mate. I did start a write up of my own, but it kind of fizzled out about the time of the meal and I haven't got around to covering the actual gig or what happened before or after the concert.

I totally agree with all your points...lasers are ok, but not through the entire gig...and the darker stage really adds something.

Any chance I could nick your write up for my blog? a bit cheeky me asking, I know :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

No problem mate. I did start a write up of my own, but it kind of fizzled out about the time of the meal and I haven't got around to covering the actual gig or what happened before or after the concert.

I totally agree with all your points...lasers are ok, but not through the entire gig...and the darker stage really adds something.

Any chance I could nick your write up for my blog? a bit cheeky me asking, I know :)
Yep. Of course you can have it. Cheeky? Not in th least. I'd be honoured.....

....just feel it's not worthy. I'd have tried a little harder.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

excellent review Chris

and you mentioned that strange 'energy' that the RAH has, that palpable resonating energy that the venues acoustics bring.....incredible and ideal for TD.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Chris Monk wrote:

Hello Chris.
Excellent review of the RAH gig mate. I too did not miss the laser's. It was in my opinion an excellent concert. The whip on the grand was a bit strange. I sat right in front of Edgar (2nd row) when he threw down on the grand. The setlist was the best yet. Going from classic Tangs to the more upbeat newer material. The magnificent venue along with the accoustics inside made the sounds of TD stand out even more. I thought Bernie was at his very best. He has turned it up 2 notch's with his performance at the RAH. Compared to the last time I saw him in Berlin for the Rocking Bats performance. No questions. Bernie was on fire at the RAH gig. Linda too was cold! Edgar looked better(health wise) than the Rocking Bats gig. I thought Hamlet was the best I heard (last time I saw him perfom Hamlet was in San Juan Capistrano in 92). Iris as always was herself, with a new hairstyle. Thorsten showed more of his talent with TD. I have not written a review of the show yet. Dont know if I am or not. Right now, I'm still in recovery mode. But I do apprieciate your great review Chris. Thanks again mate.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
hansx

Post by hansx »

And therefore it is such a shame that there won't be a dvd of this concert. Looking at the pictures on the tdoc site, you also can see how beautifull it all was. Of course after the concert I was very very enthusiastic and a bit prejudiced. But now after a while , I am thinking a bit more realistic. And still it was great. :)
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: Thanks for that Andy, it means a lot.

Yep. Of course you can have it. Cheeky? Not in th least. I'd be honoured.....

....just feel it's not worthy. I'd have tried a little harder.
I've added your review to my blog. Many thanks Chris
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Great write up, Chris! It was a great night, and a favourite of the few TD gigs that I have attended. :D
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:

I wouldn't have any problem rising to the occassion neither :wink: :shock: :oops:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
redziller

Post by redziller »

Enjoyed reading that Chris - very much so 8)
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Thanks for the kind words lads.

Felt obliged really. After TD put in all that effort seems a bit churlish not to say how much I enjoyed it.

Kinda nice to learn that all of the back-stage shanigans didn't spoils the show at all.
Pergamon_PB

Post by Pergamon_PB »

Come on, Own up...Who Chinned Iris???

Maybe they didn't like her new hairstyle!!!!

Last edited by Pergamon_PB on Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansx

Re: Come on, Own up...Who Chinned Iris???

Post by hansx »

Pergamon_PB wrote:Maybe they didn't like her new hairstyle!!!!

or Thorstens :) Sorry Thorsten, didn't mean this.