Vangelis

timer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by timer »

cantosis wrote:
timer wrote:
cantosis wrote:Mythodea,Opera Sauvage,El Greco and Direct

Opera Sauvage and Direct are classics - fabulous listening.

The new version of El Greco is very good also.

Mythodea is ok if you like the operatics in it, the DVD is god though fabulous version of Chariots of fire.

I was listeing to Soil Festivities again yesterday, would say its one of my favorite Vangelis albums
Spiral , Albedo 0.39 & Bladerunner for me 8)
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

My favorite Vangelis albums are:

Spiral, Beauborg, Heaven & Hell, Opera Sauvage, L'apocalypse des Animaux, China and Blade Runner 8)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

bergen-dreamer wrote:My favorite Vangelis albums are:

Spiral, Beauborg, Heaven & Hell, Opera Sauvage, L'apocalypse des Animaux, China and Blade Runner 8)
Add Antarctica to that list and they are all my faves.. :D
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

sparrow wrote:

Antarctica is also a brilliant album of course 8)
timer

Post by timer »

bergen-dreamer wrote:
sparrow wrote:

I should have added China, See You Later & The City to my fav's. 8)
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

timer wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:
sparrow wrote: Add Antarctica to that list and they are all my faves.. :D
I think I already mentioned "China", Tim 8) :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

bergen-dreamer wrote:
timer wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote: Antarctica is also a brilliant album of course 8)
I think I already mentioned "China", Tim 8) :wink:
You did Stein , but I didn't :wink:
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

timer wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:
sparrow wrote: Add Antarctica to that list and they are all my faves.. :D

The City album is probably my favorite from Vangelis, I love the feel to that album. I used to love listening to it on my ipod after finishing a nightshift on the way home.
pb2rdf

Vangelis documentary coming

Post by pb2rdf »

Vangelis documentary coming
source : http://news.planetorigo.com/article.php ... XuJVfQuSC&

A new documentary film about and with Vangelis is soon to be finished. It is expected to arrive on TV and DVD later this year, from acclaimed documentary director Tony Palmer.

Tony Palmer is an award winning music documentary maker who himself came up with the idea about a documentary film on Vangelis, the Greek composer.
The idea had been lingering for several years, until Palmer started working on it in May 2008.
The film, called Vangelis and the Journey to Ithaka has the full cooperation from Vangelis himself, who is appearing in the film in several newly filmed sequences.
According to director Palmer the crew spent a whole week filming with Vangelis. There will also be archive footage in the film.

The documentary will feature both a retrospective look at Vangelis' career, as well as a dive into his thoughts, a "making of Vangelis" of sorts, and will last for 2 hours and 22 minutes.
Interviewed or appearing in the film are Sean Connery, Oliver Stone, Roman Polanski, Ridley Scott, Jon Anderson (Yes), Henry Mancini, Hugh Hudson, Jessye Norman, Harrison Ford, David Puttnam, Peter Gelb, Gerard Depardieu and others.
Furthermore extracts from the films 1492 - Conquest of Patadise, Chariots of Fire, Bitter Moon, Alexander, Blade Runner, the concert Mythodea and more will be shown.
Additionally, NASA's chief scientist provides his views.

Tony Palmer is one of the leading directors of music documentaries and historical drama films in the world.
His filmography of over one hundred films ranges from early works with The Beatles, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa (200 Motels), to the famous portraits with and about Walton, Britten, Stravinsky, Maria Callas, John Osborne, Margot Fonteyn and Menuhin.
His 7 hour 45 minutes film on Wagner, starring Richard Burton, Laurence Olivier and Vanessa Redgrave, was described by the Los Angeles Times as "one of the most beautiful films ever made".
Among over 40 international prizes for his work are 12 Gold Medals at the New York Film & Television Festival, as well as numerous BAFTA (British Academy of Film & Television) and EMMY nominations and awards. He is the only person to have won the Prix Italia twice.

Vangelis is a Greek composer of electronic and orchestral music, often combined, and one of the foremost artists within his field in the world.
Being one of the few million-selling artists in his musical category, Vangelis enjoys success globally for his studio albums and original movie soundtracks.
His career started in the 1960s as member of progressive rock bands, and moved on to documentary soundtracks and solo albums in the 70s.
In 1981 he composed the score to Chariots of Fire, for which he won an Oscar award. He also composed the much acclaimed scores to the films Blade Runner (1982) and 1492 - Conquest of Paradise (1992).
Throughout the 80s and 90s Vangelis composed a string of solo electronic albums as well as a few other movie soundtracks, and scores for stage plays and ballets.

grtz, Peter
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Sounds great, not much stuff out there about the genius so will watch this.
24db

Post by 24db »

should be good...but too many celebrity mates do not a good DVD make!

More music...less yap!
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

And not to be a naysayer, but I inquired about this with the gentleman that runs the elsewhere.com site, and he basically stated that the project never quite got off the ground (and this inquiry came after the above news item was originally posted in February).

Of course, I hope he's wrong.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Beaubourg wrote:And not to be a naysayer, but I inquired about this with the gentleman that runs the elsewhere.com site, and he basically stated that the project never quite got off the ground (and this inquiry came after the above news item was originally posted in February).

Let's hope he is wrong. I'd like to see a Vangelis DVD. Like Andy though I'd like to see more of Vangelis than a host of celebrities, if it does materialise.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:And not to be a naysayer, but I inquired about this with the gentleman that runs the elsewhere.com site, and he basically stated that the project never quite got off the ground (and this inquiry came after the above news item was originally posted in February).

Let's hope he is wrong. I'd like to see a Vangelis DVD. Like Andy though I'd like to see more of Vangelis than a host of celebrities, if it does materialise.
They could do worse than just repackaging all the old interviews with Vangelis that appear on youtube, live improvisations etc...that would tell you a million more things about his music than just some director saying how amazing he is. We already know that, I don't need somebody to tell me walking on water is cool....I wanna see it...as some smart**** once said ;)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

They could do worse than just repackaging all the old interviews with Vangelis that appear on youtube, live improvisations etc...that would tell you a million more things about his music than just some director saying how amazing he is. We already know that, I don't need somebody to tell me walking on water is cool....I wanna see it...as some smart**** once said ;)
It also depends on what they've got to say I suppose. If it's all "He's fabulous darling!!!" then it's going to be pretty dull but if it shows valuable insight into how he works then it could be very interesting. It was very interesting watching Klaus Schulze's Rheingold DVD interview with Steven Wilson today where he was talking about his formative years with TD and solo. Sadly there wasn't enough of it for my tastes.