TD in London - ROYAL ALBERT HALL - 1st APRIL 2010

Mac cuber transfer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

24db wrote:Plymouth Argyle? man! Kevin you have suffered. ;)

As you mentioned the 70's, I think everyone has a rose tinted view of it. It's been said many times before, but TD have gained and lost fans every time they changed direction. In the 70's did you run into hoards of fans from the Zodiak Free Arts Lab? probably not. Were all the fans from 1974 still listening to the band a year later...probably not. Did all the fans who caught TD's classic RAH in 1975 love it so much they came back a year later? nope...half empty. Analog purists left with the analog equipment, Peter Baumann fan boys left with Peter, Chris, Johannes, Paul, Jerome, Conrad Schnitzler etc etc...you'll forgive me if I don't go on anymore. However and this is the hard thing for anybody who left TD's musical fold to get their head round...some people like the direction they don't. A few musicians and self appointed experts say oh well TD are rubbish these days cos...X-Y-Z...but they cannot, simply cannot except that somebody who liked them (when they did) can still enjoy it now (Well, actually I do!). A UK fan (rather kindly) emailed me several years ago pointing how I was 'totally wrong' with my taste in music...actually he said I was a "****ing winner for liking anything after 1987". The other ironic thing is that musicians who slag off TD whenever they get the chance would kill, absolutely kill for TD's audience and fan base, be that at gigs or their album buying fans all over the world. You cannot get that shear loyalty and love for an artist with the equipment alone, you have to produce music that moves people and truly matters to them. No bull, but I have seen plenty of people with tears in their eyes at TD gigs...this is why TD has survived, it's music with emotion, ideas and with something to say and ok some people don't always connect with TD version (1967-2009...feel free to pick a year)...but it still matters to a fair number and they will be at the latest gig and will buy the latest album..not all through blind loyalty, but because the music connects with them.

the journey isn't over...please have your passports ready at the gate!

andy
Hi Andy

Word's on a forum can be so inaccurate and without nuance, or maybe, most likely I explained myself very badly. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, in fact I totally agree with you—though I've never been moved to tears, I've certainly experienced the goose-bump factor and the exhilaration that TD's music can inspire.

So I'm not discounting the ability of TD's music to gain an emotional reaction at all. Rather, my point was, that to base the continued following of a band on an emotional reaction of the moment, wether good or not, is maybe not the best way to judge anything
–even music.

For me there were many factors that prevented me from enjoying The Forum gig, arriving late in the day, getting lost, the rain, the stress of not planning ahead to see if I could stay till the end before needing to head off meant I missed the last part of the show and just the general stress of life at that time all contributed to me feeling emotionally drained and probably unreceptive on the night – hence my current belief that an understanding and appreciation on achievement is better than a knee-jerk emotional reaction, although again I realise we are all different and may see things in a completely different way

Nor am I saying that I'm arrogant enough to believe that I'm right in any way and that everyone should agree with me — quite the opposite infact. I understand only too well that many fans are really into the band's current music and that's great. I'm not positioning my self in any way on this — how could I when my tastes are changing and evolving too?

Finally, please don't think I'm here to judge or take a hostile stand —I'm absolutely not! TD are part of my life too and I have so many memories associated with their music. Realistically, however, I may be tempted to get off the train from time to time but if you look further down the line I'll probably be waiting on the next platform with ticket in hand and ready to board. There have been far too many memorable journeys for this not to be the case —I will not let this band chug off to the horizon without me.

Is that any clearer?
24db

Post by 24db »

Hi Kevin

sorry mate, I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you with all the people who don't like TD at all or that I was having a go at you, I was just expanding on what you said. I fully understood what you'd written and more power to you for your great posts.

It's a real shame if you missed the end of the gig, as (for me) that was the best bit...especially CloudBurst Flight...simply brilliant from the first second to the last. The icing on the cake being the pre-concert fan meet and finally meeting the Guv after the gig (and 24 hours later in Edinburgh)

Btw I can understand about the rain, we nearly said sod it and didn't go at all!

andy

ps. just out of interest, when and where was your first TD gig?
COOTHEBLUE

Post by COOTHEBLUE »

Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum. Ordered my tickets yesterday direct from the RAH. So see you all next April for my first TD concert since 1990.

:D
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM good enough for dixie and good enough for me- IN MY BLUE EVERTONIA

YOHJI YAMAMOTO-the king of cool
tadreamer74

Post by tadreamer74 »

COOTHEBLUE wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum. Ordered my tickets yesterday direct from the RAH. So see you all next April for my first TD concert since 1990.

Welcome to the forum and pleasure to have you here!! I know for a fact you will enjoy yourself next April!! :D
24db

Post by 24db »

COOTHEBLUE wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum. Ordered my tickets yesterday direct from the RAH. So see you all next April for my first TD concert since 1990.

Nice one. Welcome to the forum. Have you thought about coming along to the pre-concert fan meet as well?...see the below link...

andy
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

Welcome to the Forum, I am sure this will be a memorable concert.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Great to see some new members on the forum inspired by the RAH show.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
bigdaveh

Post by bigdaveh »

Welcome to the forum and if your a bit nuts you'll fit in well :!: :!: :D
The Stoke TDBA Division.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:

Nice one. Welcome to the forum. Have you thought about coming along to the pre-concert fan meet as well?...see the below link...

andy

Welcome to the forum. As Andy has mentioned, it would be great to see you at the pre-gig meet. We'll be easy to spot! :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

Hi Andy

No worries mate, I'm a positive genius at grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

First gig, Portsmouth 1978 second half only, due to AA repair of broken windscreen on the way up from Cornwall. Faded in the memory a bit now, and so have been looking to see if a tape exists of it. Got quite a few gigs on disk but unfortunately not that one.

Cheers

Kevin
24db

Post by 24db »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:Hi Andy

No worries mate, I'm a positive genius at grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

First gig, Portsmouth 1978 second half only, due to AA repair of broken windscreen on the way up from Cornwall. Faded in the memory a bit now, and so have been looking to see if a tape exists of it. Got quite a few gigs on disk but unfortunately not that one.

Cheers

Kevin
Cheers for the reply

I guess that's one tour that when people mention it I don't get too jealous about it missing ;) Having said that itt would have been nice to see Laserium though, and perhaps Klaus's drumming and Steve's er...shouting! ;)

I'd be really annoyed to miss any part of a gig...although I've got the horrible feeling that I missed one encore at the Dominion in 1982 (thanks to having to get the last tube) as the gig was running late. Can anyone confirm that the track Dominion was played during the evening gig or was it played earlier at the 6.00pm concert?
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Am I down on the pre-gig list? Need I ask really 8)
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:
hansx wrote:Woopie, I have reserved. Seat Arena F6, seat 24.

Thanks to my wife. :)
Money well spent hans 8) :)
You can say that. My wife didn't even argue about it. :) Have to save some money now for the flight. But don't think that will be a problem.
COOTHEBLUE

Post by COOTHEBLUE »

Thank's for the warm welcome everyone. Yes my better half and i will be at the fans pre concert meet up, my wife's not a TD fan but by the time i've brainwashed her, come next April she will be! :lol:
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM good enough for dixie and good enough for me- IN MY BLUE EVERTONIA

YOHJI YAMAMOTO-the king of cool
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Very warm welcome to the forum CTB :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.