TD in London - ROYAL ALBERT HALL - 1st APRIL 2010

Force Maysuere
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Force Maysuere »

What a pain. Work 2 minutes from RAH and I'm not in work the day the tickets go on sale. Bloody PC goes down so can't book on line but 30 minute wait on the telephone to secure tickets so now the countdown can begin. Role on 1st April
hansx

Post by hansx »

Woopie, I have reserved. Seat Arena F6, seat 24.

Thanks to my wife. :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

hansx wrote:Woopie, I have reserved. Seat Arena F6, seat 24.

Thanks to my wife. :)
Money well spent hans 8) :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
electroplus

TD RAH

Post by electroplus »

Just got my tickets seats front arena 25,26.
Yippee for credit cards LOL think i will be doing all the overtime going till the gig and sleeping in the park. Well the wife will be anyway hahaha.
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

I really didn't enjoy the last gig at the forum and considered that as a fan of TD for over 30 years I'd call it a day, I'm now presented with a TD gig at the Royal Albert Hall—dilemma, magnItude 10!

To be honest, I haven't heard anything they've done since the forum gig, they produce too much to keep up with! but I'm still very tempted to go to this one as I think it might be something special.

i've not frequented this board in a long while so forgive me if I remain ignorant as to their new music but VFART left me cold and I haven't bought anything since (in fact I've become a hermit, living in a cave.....but that's another story.

So basically, I'm hoping this is going to be good....... at this point I stop and have a mad impulse to buy a ticket... it's now done and my wallet is £50 lighter! —I just hope it's a good one!

Why did I post this? I'm not sure, perhaps I've always followed them with a critical eye and maybe that's more so now. But of all the music of all the bands in my collection it's TD that really matters, their music has been a part of my life for longer than I care to remember and so it is important to me. I can see from so many posts here that I'm not alone in this. So I guess the real reason is that it has hurt being away and I just want to say to you all the prodigal has returned to the fold once again.

Mac
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:I really didn't enjoy the last gig at the forum and considered that as a fan of TD for over 30 years I'd call it a day, I'm now presented with a TD gig at the Royal Albert Hall—dilemma, magnItude 10!

To be honest, I haven't heard anything they've done since the forum gig, they produce too much to keep up with! but I'm still very tempted to go to this one as I think it might be something special.

i've not frequented this board in a long while so forgive me if I remain ignorant as to their new music but VFART left me cold and I haven't bought anything since (in fact I've become a hermit, living in a cave.....but that's another story.

So basically, I'm hoping this is going to be good....... at this point I stop and have a mad impulse to buy a ticket... it's now done and my wallet is £50 lighter! —I just hope it's a good one!

Why did I post this? I'm not sure, perhaps I've always followed them with a critical eye and maybe that's more so now. But of all the music of all the bands in my collection it's TD that really matters, their music has been a part of my life for longer than I care to remember and so it is important to me. I can see from so many posts here that I'm not alone in this. So I guess the real reason is that it has hurt being away and I just want to say to you all the prodigal has returned to the fold once again.

Mac
I hope to see you there..Im sure it will be a memorable night :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

It is money well spent Mac. The RAH gig promises to be a belter and the same may be said of the preceding fan meet.

VFART is not one of my favourites and IMO there are far better recent offerings. Autumn In Hiroshima stood out for me and the cup discs have all been excellent.

Join us for a drink before the gig and then enjoy a magical and historic night with TD! :D

Cheers!

Mick
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:I really didn't enjoy the last gig at the forum and considered that as a fan of TD for over 30 years I'd call it a day, I'm now presented with a TD gig at the Royal Albert Hall—dilemma, magnItude 10!

Mac
Hello Mac,

Good post mate. But for me, the London Eye was a treasure. I flew in from LAX-SoCal that Saturday morning. A 11 hour flight. Checked into the hotel, threw our bags down, a warm shower and changed and was on the Tube to Kentish Town's Abbey Tavern for the fan meet. First time meeting 100+ fans from all over(Colin, Andy, Ian, Tim, etc). Got soaked heading over to the forum and standing in line to get in. Waiting again. Picked up $100+ in merchandise and saw an incredible 3 hour show put on by my favorite band. Got to meet and thank Edgar for an awesome trip. Got back on the Tube heading back to the hotel for an 4 hour nap. Fly back to LAX. 12 hour flight. And back inside my house in Surf City, Ca. Sunday afternoon.

Why?
Because it's just not gonna happen here in the USA. TD and EM is almost extinct across the pond. I've been following this great band since 1977. Yes they have been through alot of changes-musicians and music. Some I dont care for, but most I do, especially the older albums. Last time I saw TD here was in 1994(?). Its been too long I forget the year.
But a week later I saw them again at Royce Hall-UCLA. So Edgar pulled a fast one on me. That's okay. Another fantastic show.
The other reason why. . . .because I can.

I bought tickets for the RAH show and the Rocking out the Bats in Berlin. I hope to be at both shows. Would'nt miss either of these shows.

Just remember, most of the bands we all grew up with, alot of them are no longer together. And the ones that are, are still rockin' and sounding ever better. I think I can speak for the rest of the fans on this forum. We all like and enjoy music period. Great music is part of our life.

Welcome Mac. Hope to hear from you more often on this forum. See you on April 1, 2010. :D :D

The Dream is always the Same. :D
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
24db

Post by 24db »

Mac

Cheers for your balanced and honest post Mac. I can understand where you're coming from. On a certain level part of me thinks, if TD don't float your boat these days then perhaps it's best not to waste your money. Why pretend to like something you don't?....there's no right or wrong with music, and as Edgar has said TD are like a train, you don't have to stay on for the whole journey, especially if it's not going in the direction 'you want'. I often compare listening to TD to being a football fan (bare with me)...for some it's a lifelong thing and they stay with it until they die, following every second through all the ups and downs, whilst others think they can run it better themselves or decide to switch loyalties...although they feel bad for doing it....sometimes :)

HOWEVER...a short story for you. In 2004 I caught TD at the Royal Festival Hall* and in all honesty and I've got no axe to grind here (so forgive me Edgar and TD) I hated it. It killed me, leaving me saddened and annoyed. Annoyed at myself mainly, because deep down I knew it wouldn't be the gig for me, annoyed also as I want TD to be amazing, I don't want to be sitting there feeling embarassed for them. It was so bad I left the gig and couldn't say a word for several minutes. Ok, should I have stopped being a TD fan? Should I have said 'that's it, I've had enough and I'm off the train'? When a concert was announced in 2005 should I have not bothered?...thank god I did, as it turned out to be one of the best gigs I'd seen since the mid eighties.

So...yes, I can't speak for everyone, but I understand. I do feel that anyone that misses the RAH gig, will at some future date regret it. They might kid themselves that they don't care but deep down they secretly would like to be there, just to see what TD are up to. As the old tag line used to say 'Tangerine Dream' always and never the same'.

andy

*and yet I liked Purgatorio
Mac cuber transfer

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for the offer Hobo

tdream4ever, that's dedication mate —and I thought I was a fan!

I think on reflection as TD are playing the RAH I couldn't not be there could I?

:D
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Mac cuber transfer wrote:Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for the offer Hobo

tdream4ever, that's dedication mate —and I thought I was a fan!

I think on reflection as TD are playing the RAH I couldn't not be there could I?

:D
Look forward to meeting you Mac!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Mac...you should come along to the pub, see the list on the link below...
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Mac
Join us for some refreshments before the concert Mac,it would be good to see you there :idea: :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Mac cuber transfer

24db wrote:

Mac

Cheers for your balanced and honest post Mac. I can understand where you're coming from. On a certain level part of me thinks, if TD don't float your boat these days then perhaps it's best not to waste your money. Why pretend to like something you don't?....there's no right or wrong with music, and as Edgar has said TD are like a train, you don't have to stay on for the whole journey, especially if it's not going in the direction 'you want'. I often compare listening to TD to being a football fan (bare with me)...for some it's a lifelong thing and they stay with it until they die, following every second through all the ups and downs, whilst others think they can run it better themselves or decide to switch loyalties...although they feel bad for doing it....sometimes :)

HOWEVER...a short story for you. In 2004 I caught TD at the Royal Festival Hall* and in all honesty and I've got no axe to grind here (so forgive me Edgar and TD) I hated it. It killed me, leaving me saddened and annoyed. Annoyed at myself mainly, because deep down I knew it wouldn't be the gig for me, annoyed also as I want TD to be amazing, I don't want to be sitting there feeling embarassed for them. It was so bad I left the gig and couldn't say a word for several minutes. Ok, should I have stopped being a TD fan? Should I have said 'that's it, I've had enough and I'm off the train'? When a concert was announced in 2005 should I have not bothered?...thank god I did, as it turned out to be one of the best gigs I'd seen since the mid eighties.

So...yes, I can't speak for everyone, but I understand. I do feel that anyone that misses the RAH gig, will at some future date regret it. They might kid themselves that they don't care but deep down they secretly would like to be there, just to see what TD are up to. As the old tag line used to say 'Tangerine Dream' always and never the same'.

andy

*and yet I liked Purgatorio
Cheers Andy

That is such a good post, and for me so reassuring to know that I'm not alone in being critical from time to time. As Edgar rightly says though, He can never make music with the fans expectations in mind so over a 40 year career that leaves plenty of time for climbing on and off the train.

At the end of the day I'm just grateful they are still making music and although for me their best was some time ago, I understand many fans feel quite differently. I suppose I may have placed their early achievements on a pedestal and given time there may be room on that for some of their more recent work. I do however believe it's difficult to gain an accurate perspective while an artist is is full creative flow and I suspect there will be plenty of reevaluation in the future with the fans but also the critics. Tangerine Dream's place in modern music will surely in time receive the recognition it deserves, but quite how Edgar has avoided a lifelong achievement reward from the music industry even now is simply staggering... but I digress.

Back to your post and thanks again for reminding me that even in the so called heady days of the 70's there were disaffected fans who struggled with them just as some of us are now. However the remedy is clear, and it reminds me that faith and judgement are fickle companions if they depend on transient emotional reactions—I know why I liked them originally, and stoicism through thick and thin is in itself the ultimate reward, just as any true football fan knows that only by tasting defeat can the joys of unexpected victory be truely understood and as a Plymouth Argyle fan with more downs and ups than a roller coaster I should know!

Best

Kevin
24db

Post by 24db »

Plymouth Argyle? man! Kevin you have suffered. ;)

As you mentioned the 70's, I think everyone has a rose tinted view of it. It's been said many times before, but TD have gained and lost fans every time they changed direction. In the 70's did you run into hoards of fans from the Zodiak Free Arts Lab? probably not. Were all the fans from 1974 still listening to the band a year later...probably not. Did all the fans who caught TD's classic RAH in 1975 love it so much they came back a year later? nope...half empty. Analog purists left with the analog equipment, Peter Baumann fan boys left with Peter, Chris, Johannes, Paul, Jerome, Conrad Schnitzler etc etc...you'll forgive me if I don't go on anymore. However and this is the hard thing for anybody who left TD's musical fold to get their head round...some people like the direction they don't. A few musicians and self appointed experts say oh well TD are rubbish these days cos...X-Y-Z...but they cannot, simply cannot except that somebody who liked them (when they did) can still enjoy it now (Well, actually I do!). A UK fan (rather kindly) emailed me several years ago pointing how I was 'totally wrong' with my taste in music...actually he said I was a "****ing winner for liking anything after 1987". The other ironic thing is that musicians who slag off TD whenever they get the chance would kill, absolutely kill for TD's audience and fan base, be that at gigs or their album buying fans all over the world. You cannot get that shear loyalty and love for an artist with the equipment alone, you have to produce music that moves people and truly matters to them. No bull, but I have seen plenty of people with tears in their eyes at TD gigs...this is why TD has survived, it's music with emotion, ideas and with something to say and ok some people don't always connect with TD version (1967-2009...feel free to pick a year)...but it still matters to a fair number and they will be at the latest gig and will buy the latest album..not all through blind loyalty, but because the music connects with them.

the journey isn't over...please have your passports ready at the gate!

andy