The return of the break

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The return of the break

Post by 24db »

Now, I'm old enough to remember when your TD gig used to come in two halves (ah get the old football cliches in early), with a suitable break in the middle where you could run to the toilet and then spend all the time standing in the queue, wondering when the venue was going to fix that hole in the window you saw the year before (or the year before that) or an even madder rush to get some tour programmes; '£1.25 for a tour programme? yer 'avin a laugh mate'...before giving in and buying two (one for yer mate...obviously!). Actually that's a lie...at this point you were completely deaf...so the conversation went..

Stall Merchant: 'Wadaya want'?

Me: 'Eh?'

SM: 'Come on son, don't **** me about, what do you want'?

Me: 'errr what?'

Anyway...a break, a pause...would it work these days, would we want it?

thinking back to the good old days...okay the 1980's (but you can insert whatever tour you like, but if it's early than 1981 I'll only get jealous or get all damp-eyed in awe), anyway...I can just vaguely remember all the extra weird things you used to get at TD gigs (we'll gloss over the obvious drug use at the Hammersmith odeon..well I guess it cutdown on TD fog machine costs)..in no order they were

Heavy metal fans (with TD patches from years gone by, dressed in denim). Hell I even saw one at the end of my road once, covered with Whitesnake, Blacksabbath, Hawkwind, and some German group from Berlin...Ash ra Tempel?

The compulsory 'nutter' outside the foyer...I swear I saw one busking with a synthesiser outside one gig (1990?) 'Hang on, TD are playing in the London, now I must stand about for 3 hours in the rain and wait for the audience to come out'...naturally I'll apologise if it was one of you ;)

Unofficial merchandise sellers...come on, admit it, you all bought it...dodgy posters and t-shirts made from the finest tissue paper. I wonder if any of them lasted more than one wash? the t-shirts weren't much better

The late start...a feature I thought TD had brought back in Eindhoven....cue hand clapping, whistling, stamping and shouting...and that was just the women....

Women? yeah hang on a minute...I swear I've seen some over the years and not all of them were dragged their by their anorak TD spotters (me!) Some of the ladies really made an effort, I seem to remember one dressed up in full 60's get up (black and white hoops)...made me think I was at wrong gig at one point.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

:lol: :D :lol: :D I would like to see a 20 minute interlude at TD gigs..(not that I might get the chance to attend one again)...time enough to go for a pish and maybe even a fag. My wife amazed me last year standing three hours and not dancing up and down needing a pee. she was instead dancing up and down to the music... 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

The break used to be a very convenient pause for people to turn their C-90 cassettes over too ;-)
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

billythefish wrote:The break used to be a very convenient pause for people to turn their C-90 cassettes over too ;-)
:) :P So thats why we have so many :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

billythefish wrote:The break used to be a very convenient pause for people to turn their C-90 cassettes over too ;-)
Could also be the reason so many bootleg tapes sound like they were recorded in the toilet !
24db

Post by 24db »

I seem to remember Bruce Spring-y-stein got in trouble for saying 'Start your tapes now' at one gig
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

didnt someone have a reel to reel strapped under a wheel chair at a TD gig?:D
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:didnt someone have a reel to reel strapped under a wheel chair at a TD gig?:D
I think this is an urban leg-end...mind that doesn't mean it's not true. I listened to 'the history of the Bootleg' on Radio 4 the other day and they mentioned how some of the recordings were done...the wheel chair was mentioned. the best one was a plaster cast with a mic in it :)
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:didnt someone have a reel to reel strapped under a wheel chair at a TD gig?:D

that was part of C Franke's set up ! :lol:
Janus

Post by Janus »

An old friend of mine Mark Robberty was an ardent Eric Clapton
fan and used to to take leave from work to attend and record
discretely every live gig EC did. At one concert he was spotted
and pulled out from the audience by security who marched him
backstage. He was kept there until after the gig ended and
eventually Clapton came in to have a few words with him.
To cut a very long story short, EC had noticed Mark at most
of the concerts and wanted his past recordings as a guide to
what the sound the audience was getting was like.....as a
footnote Mark eventually ended up as Claptons official biographer :D
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
24db

Post by 24db »

Janus wrote:An old friend of mine Mark Robberty was an ardent Eric Clapton
fan and used to to take leave from work to attend and record
discretely every live gig EC did. At one concert he was spotted
and pulled out from the audience by security who marched him
backstage. He was kept there until after the gig ended and
eventually Clapton came in to have a few words with him.
To cut a very long story short, EC had noticed Mark at most
of the concerts and wanted his past recordings as a guide to
what the sound the audience was getting was like.....as a
footnote Mark eventually ended up as Claptons official biographer :D
nice story Chris
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

24db wrote:... I seem to remember Bruce Spring-y-stein got in trouble for saying 'Start your tapes now' at one gig
Klaus Schulze said something like this at the beginning of his concert in Potsdam 1997: "Let's start, all DATs already run!"
24db

Post by 24db »

Cyclone wrote:
24db wrote:... I seem to remember Bruce Spring-y-stein got in trouble for saying 'Start your tapes now' at one gig
Klaus Schulze said something like this at the beginning of his concert in Potsdam 1997: "Let's start, all DATs already run!"
Funny, considering KDM's attitude to the whole fan recording issue :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Took me a while to remember if TD actually use to have break in their shows but yes they did didn't they. I wouldn't mind a mid-set break, it used to work OK back in the 80s.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Took me a while to remember if TD actually use to have break in their shows but yes they did didn't they. I wouldn't mind a mid-set break, it used to work OK back in the 80s.
er...they did one during the 1997 tour I seem to remember