John Peel

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

John Peel

Post by 24db »

Just been thinking about JP, it's just over 3 years since he died and I still can't bring myself to listen to the 4 or 5 hour tribute Radio one did when he died (which I recorded at the time). Edgar Froese god? (excuse me Colin)...well, John wasn't exactly a god, but he did help create the soundtrack of our lives, and gave a kick start that TD (and hundreds of others) needed.

3 years? dear god it goes so quick...R.I.P John (check the speed man!)
Chris Monk

Re: John Peel

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Just been thinking about JP, it's just over 3 years since he died and I still can't bring myself to listen to the 4 or 5 hour tribute Radio one did when he died (which I recorded at the time). Edgar Froese god? (excuse me Colin)...well, John wasn't exactly a god, but he did help create the soundtrack of our lives, and gave a kick start that TD (and hundreds of others) needed.

3 years!?!
No surely not. It was only a few weeks back. Where does the time go?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I used to listen in bed with a small earphone to his radio one shows and was introduced to the delights of punk. I used to like when he was at Glastonbury as his comments were always witty and often interesting. I remember him saying he was off to see Yes just to remind himself how bad they were.
epsilon75

Re: John Peel

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Just been thinking about JP, it's just over 3 years since he died and I still can't bring myself to listen to the 4 or 5 hour tribute Radio one did when he died (which I recorded at the time). Edgar Froese god? (excuse me Colin)...well, John wasn't exactly a god, but he did help create the soundtrack of our lives, and gave a kick start that TD (and hundreds of others) needed.

I could not possibley disagree with any of your JP sentiments,he was a big influence on me when growing up and listening to his show,he played all the avant garde sounds that others would not touch,and i sometimes wonder where would TD have gone if not for JP........a true hero of mine in a very similar aspect to that of EF......
I think you know my feelings toward Mr Froese,and they will never change AFAIC :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
staatsgrenze

Post by staatsgrenze »

Interesting! I caught ELP and Yes on their first US Tour in April of 1971 and thought man this is cool......never heard Yes, and they were brilliant, ELP was at the height of their career almost. I went both nights at the Eastown Theater in Detroit and it was incredibly good, whoever did the sound was magnificent, this is exactly what led me to the world of TD, when I went to the record store the next day there was a bin labeled electronic music, that is where I bought "Electronic Meditation"........It was John Peel who gave TD their break, and also the band that made Richard Branson and Virgin the big bucks cat he is today.......
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

sparrow wrote:I used to listen in bed with a small earphone to his radio one shows and was introduced to the delights of punk. I used to like when he was at Glastonbury as his comments were always witty and often interesting. I remember him saying he was off to see Yes just to remind himself how bad they were.
I was exactly the same! The excitement of never knowing what he would play next, and when would that next dead-pan witty comment slap you between the ears from out of the blue...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
sparrow wrote:I used to listen in bed with a small earphone to his radio one shows and was introduced to the delights of punk. I used to like when he was at Glastonbury as his comments were always witty and often interesting. I remember him saying he was off to see Yes just to remind himself how bad they were.
I was exactly the same! The excitement of never knowing what he would play next, and when would that next dead-pan witty comment slap you between the ears from out of the blue...
The world needs more people like JP...hell music needs him
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote: The world needs more people like JP...hell music needs him
:mrgreen:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote: The world needs more people like JP...hell music needs him
:mrgreen:
I'm serious...more music...less yap