Big Moog

billythefish
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by billythefish »

I am a little bewildered that people do not consider the likes of Underworld, Chemical Brothers, or even Paul Van Dyk for that matter - as part of the EM scene.

They owe everything to TD's work with Steinberg. Okay, they may also have a lot to do with clubs, and less to do with step-sequencers, but they are still Electronic Musicians and produce stunning work that pretty much any 'EM' fan could appreciate.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
timer

Post by timer »

Most of the these newer bands Cite Kraftwerk as the influence no TD !
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Thanks guys for the well considered comments since my last post.

For the record, I think that modern Redshift are more "Node" orientated than strictly mid seventies TD/KS as they were in their early days.

I'm not sure all that many kids are hungry musicians any more and much of the "popular" music industry is dictated by what the "artiste" looks like and if she's female, how does she look with few clothes on (not that I'm complaining mind).

The sixties and seventies was a much simpler time for new music. Nothing like it had ever been done like this before in our society and talented, hungry young men (and the odd woman) grafted many hours a day to give us the wonderful musical legacy we now have (watching a Robert Plant gig from last year reminded me just how good the led Zep stuff was and how well it takes different interpretation).

I'll shut up and go back to Wahn, the beginning of which always terrifies me to death............. :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Node (ie Ed Bueller and Flood) are some of the biggest TD fans (circa 1974-1977)...so they wear their TD influences with pride
timer

Post by timer »

A lot of young musicians in our surrounding area are more into guitar based music, with more emphasis toward punk music.
The Synth was way ahead of it's time originally and Im sure n the future it will surface again in some form for another generation to live through,. :)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:A lot of young musicians in our surrounding area are more into guitar based music, with more emphasis toward punk music.
The Synth was way ahead of it's time originally and Im sure n the future it will surface again in some form for another generation to live through,. :)
the 'synth'...as we know it, has had its day....here's to the new development in electronic sound...still waiting though ;)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:A lot of young musicians in our surrounding area are more into guitar based music, with more emphasis toward punk music.
the 'synth'...as we know it, has had its day....here's to the new development in electronic sound...still waiting though ;)
'E - Balls anyone ? :lol:
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
'E - Balls anyone ? :lol:
w-hey! it must be a few months since we've mentioned them ;). Actually the e-ball was a controller I seem to remember, I'd like some 'new' sounds please
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

only an analogue synthesiser can produce 'new' sounds or a modified pianner
...The wise.....are silent.....
timer

Post by timer »

HAve to say I have always found musical instrument development extremely interesting I recall trying a Fairlight at a music show in the early 80's and wow amasing stuff.
But I must agree Andy, the majority of stuff at tthe moment are glorified controllers.
redziller

Post by redziller »

bigmoog wrote:only an analogue synthesiser can produce 'new' sounds or a modified pianner
Wot? Newtonian mechanics is it? Digital syths (wot - steady there darth moog) I mean synths may not quite grain down to the quantum level but even with your vinyl coated ear-drums you couldna' nail every digital timbre to it's bits 'n' bobz 'n' bytes huh?

Or am I being näive
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

billythefish wrote:I am a little bewildered that people do not consider the likes of Underworld, Chemical Brothers, or even Paul Van Dyk for that matter - as part of the EM scene.

They owe everything to TD's work with Steinberg. Okay, they may also have a lot to do with clubs, and less to do with step-sequencers, but they are still Electronic Musicians and produce stunning work that pretty much any 'EM' fan could appreciate.
That's the problem with some of the EM scene. There is an enormous snobbishness about what is and is not EM and despite acres of space dedicated to debating that issue, I've still yet to hear a definitive answer on what EM is.

Going back to the snobbism bit, I heard a few negative comments about one particular performer at this year's Hampshire Jam because "it was too much like dance music". That is, he committed the mortal sin for some EM fans - he used drums.
Occasionally recording as Chromengel: Click here for the music

New CD out, "Meridians" For more details Click Here
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

!!Yup!!

:!: :arrow:
JD

Post by JD »

Seeker_UK wrote:
billythefish wrote:I am a little bewildered that people do not consider the likes of Underworld, Chemical Brothers, or even Paul Van Dyk for that matter - as part of the EM scene.

That's the problem with some of the EM scene. There is an enormous snobbishness about what is and is not EM and despite acres of space dedicated to debating that issue, I've still yet to hear a definitive answer on what EM is.

Going back to the snobbism bit, I heard a few negative comments about one particular performer at this year's Hampshire Jam because "it was too much like dance music". That is, he committed the mortal sin for some EM fans - he used drums.
But thats the reaction you would get too if one act played Berlin School at a Dance festival.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

JD wrote:
Seeker_UK wrote:That's the problem with some of the EM scene. There is an enormous snobbishness about what is and is not EM and despite acres of space dedicated to debate...
That is, he committed the mortal sin for some EM fans - he used drums.
But thats the reaction you would get too if one act played Berlin School at a Dance festival.
I said EM, not BS. There is a difference.

Apparently.
Occasionally recording as Chromengel: Click here for the music

New CD out, "Meridians" For more details Click Here