Big Moog

JD
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:good points Dave

now, the whole point is, is that modern electronic music is, largely, right now, moribund and derivative for the most part...its generally blip blip laptop hey arent we clever with de mouse click on the software bish bash bosh

I revise my year zero to 1974
but you could argue that what you are saying is no better than the journalists who belittled the very Moogs and mellotrons you all adore when they would call TD knob twiddlers, or have that mentality of 'oh it does it all for you'.

I think you need to have musical talent to create music even if all you are doing is stringing together loops.You could give the same software to a pleb in the street and you wouldnt get remotely the same kind of structured/polished compositions as you would from somebody who actually has ability.

Software/laptops/Loops are just a means to an end and i bet countless people in the 70s would complain about the ease of having a choir and flute on the keyboard (mellotron) without actually scoring it for real.

I'm also not sure i agree about a 1974 year zero unless you are referring to modern em as being the likes of redshift ?
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

points taken

but, I advise that I adore only the result (if I adore it that is), not the method.

My argument, such that it is, is that much modern 'electronic music', is dreary and unchallenging, but only in as much, that sadly I reference nearly everything EM to TD. In fact I used to do this in the 70's as well, eg...I would listen to TD and then (say) KS and compare music.......

I realise that im presenting a non argument...but it beats writing my usual claptrap
:wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:points taken

but, I advise that I adore only the result (if I adore it that is), not the method.

My argument, such that it is, is that much modern 'electronic music', is dreary and unchallenging, but only in as much, that sadly I reference nearly everything EM to TD. In fact I used to do this in the 70's as well, eg...I would listen to TD and then (say) KS and compare music.......

I realise that im presenting a non argument...but it beats writing my usual claptrap
but which modern electronic music ? are westill on the likes of Redshift and the other modern TD retro bands ?
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

modern electronic music........

not sure.... as I see Redshift et al as 'tribute' bands (I enjoy them for what they are....not as a fan though)

there is plenty of electronica that owes nothin to TD or Berlin School (I detest the term,,,,) being produced... I have heaps of techno and hardcore electronic dance music that probably references itself not 'EM'

an example is 'Gabba' the subdivision of techno I have enjoyed since its own year zero 1990... it seems to me that it utilises electronics to produce aggressive e-music without any nod to TD/Moogs/Ks/Berlinschule etc
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:modern electronic music........

not sure.... as I see Redshift et al as 'tribute' bands (I enjoy them for what they are....not as a fan though)

there is plenty of electronica that owes nothin to TD or Berlin School (I detest the term,,,,) being produced... I have heaps of techno and hardcore electronic dance music that probably references itself not 'EM'

an example is 'Gabba' the subdivision of techno I have enjoyed since its own year zero 1990... it seems to me that it utilises electronics to produce aggressive e-music without any nod to TD/Moogs/Ks/Berlinschule etc

Im not sure how you got to this from starting with "electronic music as we know it, was born and also died in 1975" ? ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

JD wrote:

Im not sure how you got to this from starting with "electronic music as we know it, was born and also died in 1975" ? ;)

:D

I meant, that electronic music as 'we' know it [ sequencers, moogs, mellotrons, long slow build up...pulsing pulses....etc...quiet contemplative outros....] was born in 75, and also died in 75....by that I mean, all we know in this music was said and done in 75*

*or 74, or indeed 72

possibly Im talking cobblers, but when we did ruby_con, it proved to me that only TD can do TD

JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:
JD wrote:

I meant, that electronic music as 'we' know it [ sequencers, moogs, mellotrons, long slow build up...pulsing pulses....etc...quiet contemplative outros....] was born in 75, and also died in 75....by that I mean, all we know in this music was said and done in 75*

*or 74, or indeed 72

possibly Im talking cobblers, but when we did ruby_con, it proved to me that only TD can do TD

but y'know I wonder if given the time, money and equipment ...that other bands could do something to the same standard ? At the moment all of these retro bands are doing it at weekends after work etc and are probably not that talented to begin with ....I mean sure they do music that people like but do they have the same vision, expertise etc
I would like to see three real pro's given the task and the retro gear to come up with something spectacular ...without having to worry about paying the gas bill :)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

yes, but its not the equipment is it?

surely its the will, talent, skill and genius to produce something worthy of our attention, something truly special and magical?

pretty much anyone could sit infront of a moog/laptop etc and produce something, but not necessarily something
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:yes, but its not the equipment is it?

surely its the will, talent, skill and genius to produce something worthy of our attention, something truly special and magical?
yes but I was talking about your phrase that only TD can do TD ...and ruby-con etc I was wondering if somebody could do TD of 74-74 to the same standard given the same circumstances.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

JD wrote:

yes but I was talking about your phrase that only TD can do TD ...and ruby-con etc I was wondering if somebody could do TD of 74-74 to the same standard given the same circumstances.
I dont believe this is possible, and not even TD could do TD of the 74-77 period now given the same circumstances.......
timer

Post by timer »

Surely its not about the equipment being used , it's about the personal input ? :cry:
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:
JD wrote:

I dont believe this is possible, and not even TD could do TD of the 74-77 period now given the same circumstances.......
depends on the attitude of the regrouped froese/franke/bauman. If somebody took away their reputation and money then they might regain the hunger to make it happen.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

JD wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
JD wrote: yes but I was talking about your phrase that only TD can do TD ...and ruby-con etc I was wondering if somebody could do TD of 74-74 to the same standard given the same circumstances.
depends on the attitude of the regrouped froese/franke/bauman. If somebody took away their reputation and money then they might regain the hunger to make it happen.

is this something that we really desire? Im not so sure it would produce what we think we need
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:
JD wrote:
bigmoog wrote: I dont believe this is possible, and not even TD could do TD of the 74-77 period now given the same circumstances.......

is this something that we really desire? Im not so sure it would produce what we think we need
no not me because I never liked the 70s stuff anyway ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I will return with further streams of [un]consciousness once I work out what the hell Im talking about :arrow: