VOICES IN THE NET : RIP

batman
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by batman »

Hyperboreauk wrote:Agreed this was a great site it will be sorely missed. :(
Voices......it must open again, IMHO Gary.....
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

batman wrote:
I used it often....
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
batman

Post by batman »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
batman wrote:
I used it often....
me too.....
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Hobo wrote:I always thought it strange that TDI and now Eastgate don't maintain this sort of archive. IMO, it's more than just an archive, it's an integral part of TD's heritage and I'd have thought Eastgate would want to keep it going (just thinking out loud).
Three words: They. Don't. Care.
Sites such as VITN will always be fan creations, and it was quite likely the best band information resource around. Bands and their managements (and especially their record companies) are only ever concerned with today and tomorrow and are not interested in the past, except when old recordings are deemed valuable enough to be cash cows that can be milked indefinitely (can you say "compilation"?), but not when it comes to tabulating trivial details and minutia about those recordings. It is incumbent on the fans to do that. Unfortunately fan sites are often ephemeral and can disappear without warning. I relied on VITN often and miss it as well and am disappointed that it's gone. I hope everything is okay with its creator. I think most of us are really kicking ourselves for not having saved copies of it to our hard drives, choosing instead to assume that it would always be there.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:I think we all agree that VITN was an invaluable TD resource and we would all wish to see it continue in some form. It's demise has reminded me that I always thought it strange that TDI and now Eastgate don't maintain this sort of archive. IMO, it's more than just an archive, it's an integral part of TD's heritage and I'd have thought Eastgate would want to keep it going (just thinking out loud).
I was thinking just that. TD ought to step in. It's their heritage and it wouldn't require much work, it's already mostly been done by Michael and it would just need someone to update it now and again.
JD

Post by JD »

Would TD be interested ? I never visited VITN , I listen to the music rather than collect barcodes and typos or 10 versions of the same album from different countries ;)

What use was the site to people other than hardcore collectors ? (a serious question because i dont know what was on it)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
24db

Post by 24db »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Hobo wrote:I always thought it strange that TDI and now Eastgate don't maintain this sort of archive. IMO, it's more than just an archive, it's an integral part of TD's heritage and I'd have thought Eastgate would want to keep it going (just thinking out loud).
Sites such as VITN will always be fan creations, and it was quite likely the best band information resource around. Bands and their managements (and especially their record companies) are only ever concerned with today and tomorrow and are not interested in the past, except when old recordings are deemed valuable enough to be cash cows that can be milked indefinitely (can you say "compilation"?), but not when it comes to tabulating trivial details and minutia about those recordings. It is incumbent on the fans to do that. Unfortunately fan sites are often ephemeral and can disappear without warning. I relied on VITN often and miss it as well and am disappointed that it's gone. I hope everything is okay with its creator. I think most of us are really kicking ourselves for not having saved copies of it to our hard drives, choosing instead to assume that it would always be there.
TD don't care? hmmm well I think I'd prefer them to concentrate on the music mate. Perhaps you'd like to run it for them?, it would take a lot of time though
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

It was an excellent site for finding out: what is rare, seeing the different covers of an album, what is on the trees and leaves, and where different versions or rereleases of a track are on different albums.....
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Spot on mate. You nailed it. They only care about the almighty Euro.
24db

Post by 24db »

This discography, compilation and design: © 2001-2006 by Michael Berling. Text: © 2001-2006 by Michael Berling, other rights by Peter Stöferle, Rolf Sonnemann, Siegfried Lindhorst, Christian Horn, Kent Eskildsen, and by other authors where indicated. No part of this site may be downloaded, copied or reproduced for commercial use in any form or by any means, including scanning, electronic storage and transmission, without written permission.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

This is so sad to hear, wonderful site run by a deeply dedicated TD follower. miss it greatly . Must have taken over the poor guys life to keep it up to date.

Conspiracy theory:

wasn't the trees stopped for personnal reasons ? :roll: :roll:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

alipaul wrote:This is so sad to hear, wonderful site run by a deeply dedicated TD follower. miss it greatly . Must have taken over the poor guys life to keep it up to date.

Conspiracy theory:

It would be great to think someone else could take this website on......it would also be nice to know why its been closed,but i respect Micheal's reasons whatever they be :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
alipaul wrote:This is so sad to hear, wonderful site run by a deeply dedicated TD follower. miss it greatly . Must have taken over the poor guys life to keep it up to date.

Conspiracy theory:

It would be great to think someone else could take this website on......it would also be nice to know why its been closed,but i respect Micheal's reasons whatever they be :arrow:
It would have to be made with the full permission of Michael though mate, plus everyone else who was mentioned on the copyright page.
That is, unless somebody fancies doing it all again from scratch? anybody got a spare 5 years?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Like you say Andy the biggest stumbling block is getting the permission from MB and partners,or could there be another loophole thats needed to be crossed :wink: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Like you say Andy the biggest stumbling block is getting the permission from MB and partners,or could there be another loophole thats needed to be crossed :wink: :wink:
And, to be honest mate I don't even know who would want to do it. Ok, if Michael did agree I guess it wouldn't be too much graft to C&P things (as a few people have requested over at Tadream), but from scratch...hmm nobody has the energy to do that these days.