VOICES IN THE NET : RIP

Michael66
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Michael66 »

never a dull day in TD fan land ... :?
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

rattymouse wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:It doesn't matter how important something is on the internet..... here one minute, gone the next, forever.... Pathetic.
I agree. The fact that this site could not be preserved in some way, shape or form is ABSOLUTELY pathetic. There is WAAAY more going on behind the scenes here. A scandal of unparalleled proportions. It disgusts me to no end that the author of this site could not announce in advance that it was coming down and allow others to archive the information and find another way to publish it.

I am utterly and completely disgusted by this turn of events.
I have to ask... Are you completely insane?

VITN was a free site hosted graciously by someone who donated his own time and his own money for you and I to prosper from - and you complain?

Why does he owe anybody anything?

Again... Are you insane? (I've been wanting to know since your first post way back when.)
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Beaubourg wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:It doesn't matter how important something is on the internet..... here one minute, gone the next, forever.... Pathetic.
I agree. The fact that this site could not be preserved in some way, shape or form is ABSOLUTELY pathetic. There is WAAAY more going on behind the scenes here. A scandal of unparalleled proportions. It disgusts me to no end that the author of this site could not announce in advance that it was coming down and allow others to archive the information and find another way to publish it.

VITN was a free site hosted graciously by someone who donated his own time and his own money for you and I to prosper from - and you complain?

Again... Are you insane? (I've been wanting to know since your first post way back when.)
You make me sick.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

VITN gone - that is ultra-sad.

I greatly respect Michael's efforts in putting the site together and hope all is well with him.

VITN was way more than just a fan site, it was more like an encyclopedia of all things TD and I've used on more occasions than I care to remember. RIP.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

What is the link for the archive of VITN?
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
batman

Post by batman »

Desert_Voyager wrote:What is the link for the archive of VITN?
who khnows...... :?:
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

http://www.archive.org

Type www.voices-in-the-net.de on the "Take Me Back" box and then select
which update you want to see
:arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
JD

Post by JD »

Beaubourg wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I have to agree (maybe not about the inasne bit ;) ) but none of you are paying subscribers ...its his own business whether he keeps it up , takes it down or covers in it photos of his dog ....he owes nothing to any of you,. What a terrible inconvenience that somebody else's personal problem has deprived you of you something.that didnt belong to you anyway. :shock:
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

JD wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:
rattymouse wrote: I agree. The fact that this site could not be preserved in some way, shape or form is ABSOLUTELY pathetic. There is WAAAY more going on behind the scenes here. A scandal of unparalleled proportions. It disgusts me to no end that the author of this site could not announce in advance that it was coming down and allow others to archive the information and find another way to publish it.

I have to agree (maybe not about the inasne bit ;) ) but none of you are paying subscribers ...its his own business whether he keeps it up , takes it down or covers in it photos of his dog ....he owes nothing to any of you,. What a terrible inconvenience that somebody else's personal problem has deprived you of you something.that didnt belong to you anyway. :shock:
True, but you don't have to have paid for, been owed or owned something, in order to miss it when it's gone (which it hasn't as it is archived, thankfully).
Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I think it is dreadfully, dreadfully sad and a great loss to the TD community. I really hope that an archived version can be hosted by someone somewhere to preserve all that hard work and dedication Michael has put in.

Many thanks Michael for the services you have provided over the years. I hope all's okay with you.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
JD

Post by JD »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
JD wrote:
Beaubourg wrote: I have to ask... Are you completely insane?

True, but you don't have to have paid for, been owed or owned something, in order to miss it when it's gone (which it hasn't as it is archived, thankfully).
No I agree ...but the anger and resentment shown here is just odd and childishly selfish.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

i was just reporting the news

there will be other archives, other sites :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
batman

Post by batman »

bigmoog wrote:http://www.archive.org

it does not work..... :?
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

batman wrote:
bigmoog wrote:http://www.archive.org

it does not work..... :?
No, not properly!
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

JD wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
JD wrote: I have to agree (maybe not about the inasne bit ;) ) but none of you are paying subscribers ...its his own business whether he keeps it up , takes it down or covers in it photos of his dog ....he owes nothing to any of you,. What a terrible inconvenience that somebody else's personal problem has deprived you of you something.that didnt belong to you anyway. :shock:
No I agree ...but the anger and resentment shown here is just odd and childishly selfish.

I dont know or have ever corresponded to the guy who ran VITN. I hope that he is doing well and is OK.

That said, the insanity of some in the tee dee community is astonishing. Me selfish??? You are off your rocker. Out of your mind, beyond comprehension.

I struggle to find one valid reason that this web site was taken away? Just one reason! Sure...legally it may have been his property and can remove it at will. That is the smallest right you can imagine. Were everyone to operate with such a limited about of generousity, the world would truly blow more than it does now.

Why wouuld he take the site off? Examples:

1. He doesnt have the time to maintain it. Fair enough. So, let it stand as it. The site was exceedingly useful to fans across the world and WOULD CONTINUE TO BE SO FOR MANY MANY YEARS.

2. He doesnt have the money to keep the web site alive. OK, let it run until his contract runs out. He pulled it before this contract ended. Notify people and let them archive it or find other ways to keep it going.

3. Major family/health problems. Again, let it languish as is until the contract ends, and turn it over to what would easily be a HUGE line of people who love the band want to keep their legacy alive.

Those who support "he owns the site and can do what he wants with it" opinion are pathetic. Your type are those who run large corporations. That skirt ethics as much as possible while remaining inside the law. Doing whatever they can for themselves at the expense of advancing the common good.

Suppose someone had the only copy of a classic TD concert, say Nottingham or Detroit 77. Posted it in some form that was listenable but not copyable. Everyone tuned in and loved the music. Then, the poster took it down (for the same reasons that VITN disappeared) and removed it from the public. Is that right? Is that good? Just because he owned it? Or would it have been better had he found a way to continue to share it in some way? Which way is better for the common good?

It is not me who is selfish here. Not in the slightest.

FYI, I hardly ever used Voices In the Net. Hardly at all. I am outraged at the injustice of someone who removes something from the public for no good valid reason. This EASILY could have been handed over to another person to continue it.

Everyone here just loves to rip Tadream.net. Yet the spirit of helping extend the bands legacy is far, Far, FAR greater over there. The entire you know what series was a phenomenal excercise in love for TD.

There is ONE and only ONE reason to remove VITN from the public and keeping it from continuing and that is SELFISHNESS. "If I cant have it, no one else can."

To the poster who called me selfish, it is YOU that supports the selfish behaviour of others. You defend it and allow it to continue.