VIRGIN RECORDS R.I.P

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

VIRGIN RECORDS R.I.P

Post by bigmoog »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6998606.stm

not long until the high street music retailer of any kind is dead :cry:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Therefore, TD CDs of the Virgin Years could well get harder to find as CDs get lost or damaged in the long run.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I won't miss there shops at all even under a new name. In my local virgin stores you just know what they will or won't stock. The one in Edinburgh although huge is absolute pish. It used to be good around 5 years ago with loads of TD last May they didn't have any TD or the like at all. HMV next door is a far better store but is also going downhill.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

The Cardiff Branch is pish too IMHO............and expensive :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

My interest in Virgin is the same they show in the people who buy the records...nothing!...it's gonna take more than a daft name change to get me buying records in there again
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

When I visited London, in connection with the TD gig in 2005, I bought 11 TD, EF and KS albums, mainly Virgin era, from the Tottenham Court Road shop.
I couldnt complain.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:When I visited London, in connection with the TD gig in 2005, I bought 11 TD, EF and KS albums, mainly Virgin era, from the Tottenham Court Road shop.
I couldnt complain.
Sadly mate you could have got them all at least £3 or 4 cheaper down the road
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Luckily, I got a 10 pound discount for buying 10 discs. I didn't notice, that I was ripped off, except for Lily, which was 18 pounds, I just so rarely see TD albums in shops.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Luckily, I got a 10 pound discount for buying 10 discs. I didn't notice, that I was ripped off, except for Lily, which was 18 pounds, I just so rarely see TD albums in shops.
it's fair enough if you get some money off mate, but it's a shame they take people for a ride (some of Virgins prices and to a greater extent HMV's are just jaw dropping) . If you're ever in town again checkout some of the small shops and save yourself some dosh!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:Luckily, I got a 10 pound discount for buying 10 discs. I didn't notice, that I was ripped off, except for Lily, which was 18 pounds, I just so rarely see TD albums in shops.
it's fair enough if you get some money off mate, but it's a shame they take people for a ride (some of Virgins prices and to a greater extent HMV's are just jaw dropping) . If you're ever in town again checkout some of the small shops and save yourself some dosh!

I have to agree,Virgin & Hmvs prices are a scandal,i used to use HMV quite regular up to a few years back but no chance now :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Danish prices are also very high, so I just bought what I missed at that time on cd. Thanks for the tip :)
I also went to some LP shops, were I found some rare items. Firestarter and Romance '76

I have high expectations of the merchandise booth in Frankfurt, as I won't find any time to visit the shops. I arrive in the evening, saturday.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Danish prices are also very high, so I just bought what I missed at that time on cd. Thanks for the tip :)
I also went to some LP shops, were I found some rare items. Firestarter and Romance '76

I have high expectations of the merchandise booth in Frankfurt, as I won't find any time to visit the shops. I arrive in the evening, saturday.
If we see any interesting shops I'll give you a shout mate :)
I get the feeling you might have found Martin K's shop worth a visit (in Berlin), especially if you like the heavier/darker side of EM
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

I have to agree,Virgin & Hmvs prices are a scandal,i used to use HMV quite regular up to a few years back but no chance now :arrow:
it's a shame Colin, I guess we all bought some of our best loved records from one or the other (I'll resist the old 'they were so exciting' story...it's been told too many times before). I think they've been rubbish for years, and that smaller independent shops are where the exciting music is still to be found...because they're still passionate about music, not bleeding railways, cable TV, airlines or other nonsense ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

long live the independent music retailer
...The wise.....are silent.....
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:long live the independent music retailer
Can't beat em ! :D If you can find one ! :x