Portable Mini Disc Players
19%
Portable Compact Disc Players
25%
Portable Ipod & MP3 Players
56%

Total votes: 16

Laserdisc Dream
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Last Month I bought myself other A new portable CD player it some thing it from Sony.
They send me a new one because I sign up warranty one I’m using it not broken it still works okay.
I’ll waiting for a New CD Album come out then I’ll use it.

:!: :arrow:
Laserdisc Dream

Sony looks back at Walkman success

TOKYO | When the Sony Walkman went on sale 30 years ago, it was shown off by a skateboarder to illustrate how the portable cassette-tape player delivered music on-the-go — a totally innovative idea back in 1979.

Today, Sony Corp. is struggling to reinvent itself and win back its reputation as a pioneer of razzle-dazzle gadgetry once exemplified in the Walkman, which last week had its 30th anniversary marked with a special display at Sony's corporate archives.

The Japanese electronics and entertainment company lost $1.02 billion in the fiscal year ended March — its first annual loss in 14 years — and is expecting more red ink this year.
The manufacturer, which also makes Vaio personal computers and Cyber-shot cameras, hasn't had a decisive hit like the Walkman for years and has taken a battering in the portable music player market to Apple Inc.'s iPod.

Sony has sold 385 million Walkmans worldwide in 30 years as it evolved from playing cassettes to compact disks then minidisks — a smaller version of the CD — and finally digital files. Apple has sold more than 210 million iPods worldwide in eight years.

There is even some speculation in the Japanese media that Sony should drop the Walkman brand — a name associated with Sony's rise from its humble beginnings in 1946 with just 20 employees to one of the first Japanese companies to successfully go global.

"The Walkman's gap with the iPod has grown so definitive, it would be extremely difficult for Sony to catch up, even if it were to start from scratch to try to boost market share," said Kazuharu Miura, analyst with Daiwa Institute of Research in Tokyo.

Mr. Miura believes Sony can hope to be unique with its PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable video game consoles, but it has yet to offer outstanding electronics products that exploit such strengths.
The Nikkei, Japan's top business newspaper, reported recently that Sony set up a team to develop a PSP with cell-phone features. But Mr. Miura said the idea was nothing new, since the iPhone, another Apple product, has gaming features, and Sony isn't likely to have such a product soon.
Earlier this year, Sony Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer announced a new team of executives and promised to bring together the hardware electronics and entertainment content divisions of Sony's sprawling empire — an effort that he said will turn around Sony and restore its profitability.

But Mr. Stringer, and his predecessors, have been making that same promise for years.

When the iPod began selling with sizzle several years ago, a Japanese reporter asked Shizuo Takashino, one of the developers of the original Walkman, why Sony hadn't come up with the idea. After all, the iPod seemed like something that should have been a trademark Sony product.
Mr. Takashino had been showing reporters the latest Walkman models, which played proprietary files. Sony has been criticized for sticking to such proprietary formats. One major reason for the iPod's massive popularity was that it played MP3 files, which are widely used for online music and compatible with many devices.

In a special display at Tokyo's Sony Archive building that opened Wednesday to commemorate the Walkman's 30-year history, an impassioned Akio Morita, Sony's co-founder, speaks to employees in a 1989 video to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Walkman.
"We can deliver a totally new kind of thrill to people with the Walkman," said the silver-haired Mr. Morita, proudly wearing a gray factory-worker jacket and surrounding himself with dozens of colorful Walkman machines. "We must make more and more products like the Walkman."
Mr. Morita acknowledges in the video that the Walkman doesn't feature any groundbreaking technology but merely repackaged old ones — but did so in a nifty creative way. And it started with a small simple idea — enjoying music anywhere, without bothering people around you.
The original Walkman was as big as a paperback book, and weighed 14 ounces. It wasn't cheap, especially for those days, costing $340.
But people snatched it up.

Other names were initially tried for international markets like "soundabout" and "stowaway." Sony soon settled on Walkman. The original logo had little feet on the "a" letters of the word.
Many, even within Sony, were skeptical of the idea because earphones back then were associated with unfashionable, hard-of-hearing old people. But Mr. Morita was convinced he had a hit.

The archival exhibit shows other Sony products that have been discontinued or lost out to competition over the years — the Betamax video cassette recorder, the Trinitron TV, the Aibo dog-shaped robotic pet.

The Walkman exhibit, which runs through Dec. 25, shows models that are still on sale, some about the size of a lighter, that play digital music files.
Also showcased are messages from Mr. Morita and his partner Masaru Ibuka, who always insisted a company could never hope to be a winner by imitating rivals but only by dashing stereotypes.

"All we can do is keep going at it, selling our Walkman, one at a time," said Sony spokeswoman Yuki Kobayashi. "Thirty years is a milestone for Sony. But we hope the Walkman won't be seen as just a piece of history."

:D 8)

sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've always liked Sony equipment and use Sony CD players to this day.. 8)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Sandisk Sansa Clip with Yuin PK3 earphones here, couldn't be happier about the sound... :)
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Sony has sold 385 million Walkmans worldwide in 30 years as it evolved from playing cassettes to compact disks then minidisks — a smaller version of the CD — and finally digital files. Apple has sold more than 210 million iPods worldwide in eight years.

What Apple has achieved in 8 years is simply astonishing.

Growing up I used to love Sony equipment. But they got old, stuffy, and uninspiring that I never ever think of their products when I am off to buy something.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

TheMan wrote:Sony has sold 385 million Walkmans worldwide in 30 years as it evolved from playing cassettes to compact disks then minidisks — a smaller version of the CD — and finally digital files. Apple has sold more than 210 million iPods worldwide in eight years.

Growing up I used to love Sony equipment. But they got old, stuffy, and uninspiring that I never ever think of their products when I am off to buy something.
I have had a variety of Sony equipment over the years - including a WM D6C pro walkman, various camcorders and hi-fi equipment, and most recently my Vaio laptop.
Whilst I would concede that their designs are usually very innovative, and sometimes second to none, they are not built to last. Everything, without exception, has broken, usually just weeks outside the warranty.
Sadly I will not be buying a Sony product again.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

billythefish wrote:
TheMan wrote:Sony has sold 385 million Walkmans worldwide in 30 years as it evolved from playing cassettes to compact disks then minidisks — a smaller version of the CD — and finally digital files. Apple has sold more than 210 million iPods worldwide in eight years.

I have had a variety of Sony equipment over the years - including a WM D6C pro walkman, various camcorders and hi-fi equipment, and most recently my Vaio laptop.
Whilst I would concede that their designs are usually very innovative, and sometimes second to none, they are not built to last. Everything, without exception, has broken, usually just weeks outside the warranty.
Sadly I will not be buying a Sony product again.
I remember way back, I bought a Sony Walkman that was built to be as tiny as possible. It was barely larger than a cassette tape. Just the width of a battery taller. AAA batter I think. It was nice and tall but the weaker batteries died out rather fast. Plus, it was fragile as hell and it did not survive very long.

The only Sony product I would ever consider buying would be a TV. Nothing will ever get me away from my 160 gig iPod, nor my Mac.
Laserdisc Dream

I Bought over 100 Blank Mini Disc to start record put in to the album on MD format.
I still using them my MD Player like I say I’m not ready for a apple I-Pod or Digital MP3 portable players.

Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I bought a Sony TV with a free 5 year warranty included as a special offer, but it stopped working a few weeks after 5 years
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:I Bought over 100 Blank Mini Disc to start record put in to the album on MD format.
I still using them my MD Player like I say I’m not ready for a apple I-Pod or Digital MP3 portable players.

It seems quaint now to think of the days when I used to leave the house with 4 or 5 CD's that I wanted to listen to while out on a road trip or something like that. Now, I leave the house with a 160 gig iPod, loaded up with 52 days or so of straight music. At the slightest whim I can put on *ANY* TD album that I want, or *ANY* Tangerine Tree album I care to listen to. No interested in TD at the time? Fine, I have 50-60 jazz albums on the *SAME* iPod. Or about 25 Pete Namlook Albums. Or about 40 other EM artist's albums...etc.

You get the point. Carrying around discs, even minidiscs, is sooooooo limiting.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I bought a Sony TV with a free 5 year warranty included as a special offer, but it stopped working a few weeks after 5 years
I've had the same problem with a Sony laptop, two cam-corders and a digital camera. They all went kaput only weeks after the warranty expired and the repair costs were astronomical, accompanied with appalling service.

I will never buy the brand again. Shame really as they put out some good products, but they're useless to me if they just break and cost almost as much again to repair. :evil:
Laserdisc Dream

For past week I re-order other 10 pack of Sony Minidisk and I got for a Free Shipping.

Re-stock my MD Audio.

Well I been listen to these MD for almost 5 years now.
I'm Still using my MD player it working well.

sparrow

Post by sparrow »

My good mate has a mini disc recorder and struggles to purchase the blanks anywhere. He doesn't have the internet so hasn't been able to even order them locally. I think it's a half decent format and wish it had taken off as I would have bought one.
24db

Post by 24db »

sparrow wrote:My good mate has a mini disc recorder and struggles to purchase the blanks anywhere. He doesn't have the internet so hasn't been able to even order them locally. I think it's a half decent format and wish it had taken off as I would have bought one.
I might have some sealed ones if he wants them
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I bought a second hand hi-fi system a little while ago that came with a MD deck. I've never used it, but am curious to give it a try. Wasn't the compression used really compromising?