Hidden Gems: Recommend the Obscure....or just enthuse

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Hidden Gems: Recommend the Obscure....or just enthuse

Post by 24db »

As the title suggests, here's the place to recommend something new to the group, be it obscure, or something you think the rest of forum might like...(as if that's likely! ;)) Ok...perhaps one or two people anyway.

Btw I don't just mean electronic, anything goes

I guess things could do with a slight structure, so how about;

Artist/Title/ Approx Genre/ description or what it sounds 'like'/ comparisons etc etc
Catalogue numbers and links to other sound clip sites might be useful 'if available'
Last edited by 24db on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Any rules? Is it okay to be 'personally' attached to the recommendations?
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Any rules? Is it okay to be 'personally' attached to the recommendations?
as in your music? Hmmm then it would just be another 'listen to my record thread'?
timer

Post by timer »

Must admit I was thinking of posting some of my obscure moments from the past 30 years of recording :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:Any rules? Is it okay to be 'personally' attached to the recommendations?
as in your music? Hmmm then it would just be another 'listen to my record thread'?
Not at all, I meant my friend Dennis' music, which has been ignored way too much. Sorry.

Do you have to own the official release?
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:
Not at all, I meant my friend Dennis' music, which has been ignored way too much. Sorry.
No, that's fine (hell who made me judge? :D)....I think the only rules should be that you like it and it's not something loads of use have heard before...so no TD, KS< Kraftwerk, Rush, PF blah blah blah ;)...plus 'you're not trying to flog it...which in my case never works as I never (or hardly ever) buy something from a 'Hey, I've got a new CD out' thread/website.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Okay, my vote goes for DAY OF PHOENIX - WIDE OPEN N-WAY.
Released on Danish label Sonet in 1971. Features fantastic guitar playing and singing by English emigrant Cy Nicklin.

Fans of the newer, more acoustic based OPETH, should love this album.
Last edited by Pertou on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

A sample from Wide Open N-Way by Day of Phoenix

[link removed]
Last edited by Pertou on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Obscure-ish: (albums I can recommened every track on):

Propeller Island-the Secret Convention (ambient/avant garde). I've reviewed it before, but it's it's too hard to describe, imagine Eno gets a kicking from Ircam engineers dressed as Kangaroos, whilst eating jelly with carrotts. Is this what it sounds like? no of course not...but it's a fantastic album :).

Logic System-Logic (Japanese EM/POP) imagine Yellow Magic Orchestra, but without the rubbish bits ;)...add every synth available at the time, add some great melodies, odd Japanese melodies and timbres, mix with some female french vocals, syn-drums...and it should be a right mess...but, it's brilliant)

Not so obscure:

Michael Rother-Flammende Herzen (Krautrock, multi tracked guitar with drums, with some subtle organ and synth work). Get Jaki from Can, mix with a large quantity of Michael, add a spinkling of electronics and what do you get? Simply one of the most melodic instrumental guitar albums of all time, simple (and yet quite complex) melodies build over Jaki Leibezeit's drumming.
Last edited by 24db on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:Michael Rother-Flammende Herzen (Krautrock, multi tracked guitar with drums, with some subtle organ and synth work). Get Jaki from Can, mix with a large quantity of Michael, add a spinkling of electronics and what do you get? Simply one of the most melodic instrumental guitar albums of all time, simple (and yet quite complex) melodies build over Jaki Leibezeit's drumming.
I have that on vinyl, and it deserves any kind of recognition. A masterpiece, along with Katzenmusik.
When I listen to those two albums, I suddenly have a lot of physical affection to offer for the opposite s-ex.
Last edited by Pertou on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Single Tracks:

Cyrille Verdeaux-Messenger of the Son (New-agey/Prog) Glossing over the prog/new age label ;) I'll recommend track 3: Energy, it's starts off like very one's worst nightmare, a latin American rhythm section, including a vocal type rhythmic pulse (could even be a guiro (sp?)...argh...and then...blimey...it all gone sequencer, with a big bouncy analog sequence, with live drums and some nice synth solos. A real lost Gem

Irmin Schmidt-Baal, from Soundtracks 1978-1993 (Krautrock/Soundtrack): ah a solid synth progression with Michael Karoli playing the ultimate fuzzed to hell guitar

Irimin Schmidt-Rapido De Noir (from Toy Planet) (Krautrock meets gypsy melodies with EM touches)...a train sings!...that's it, it does...so good Namlook samples it on his Dreamfish CD
Last edited by 24db on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:Michael Rother-Flammende Herzen (Krautrock, multi tracked guitar with drums, with some subtle organ and synth work). Get Jaki from Can, mix with a large quantity of Michael, add a spinkling of electronics and what do you get? Simply one of the most melodic instrumental guitar albums of all time, simple (and yet quite complex) melodies build over Jaki Leibezeit's drumming.
I have that on vinyl, and it deserves any kind of recognition. A masterpiece, along with Katzenmusik.
When I listen to those two albums, I suddenly have a lot of physical affection to offer for the opposite se.x.
remember folks you heard it here first! ;) no seriously, what a brilliant album this is, far better than Neu! IMHO
24db

Post by 24db »

M83-Moon Child (from Before the Dawn Heals Us)...Electronic pop/Shoegaze?. A melody Ulrich Schnauss would be too emotional to write, with wordless female vocals...after a spoken intro. Very loud music...meets...very quiet vocals it was once described as. Cobblers!!!...it's what pop music should sound like...electronic, melodic and vibrant.

Checkout the music section of their website!

http://www.ilovem83.com/home.html

or

http://www.last.fm/music/M83/Before+the+Dawn+Heals+Us

Oh and the other album is great as well:

http://www.last.fm/music/M83/Dead%2BCit ... t%2BGhosts
24db

Post by 24db »

I'll recommend a band, Jade Warrior...damn it, if you're in Heaven Tony I bet there's some great music:

http://www.7digital.com/stores/productD ... artner=264
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Well, the reactions haven't been overwhelming, and since I appearantly can add more than one album, I'll do so.

SECRET OYSTER - STRAIGHT TO THE KRANKENHAUS (LP, CBS, 1975)

Melodic, and mellow Jazz Rock risen from the ashes of Burnin Red Ivanhoe.

Another Danish gem, highly recommended!