Ashra

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

That would be very good to see Hans,especially if he were to play with KS 8)
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:That would be very good to see Hans,especially if he were to play with KS 8)
That would be one of the finest things we should experience in years.
lemonstar

UK Electronica

Post by lemonstar »

No idea what year this (80's?) was but I went to this show in Sheffield (at the Octogon (?)- where they play or used to play snooker) and saw Ashra play a dazzling set. The crowd was pretty special too, I remember the rhythmic clapping at the start of the show, which I *think* was running a little bit late, seemed like the 2 halves of the audience were improvising some elaborate clapping patterns and interplay - weird! MG's guitar playing was so fluid. Anyone else on here attend that year or any other? Ian Boddy was also on the same year as the headliners Ashra.

Neil
Six By Nine

Re: UK Electronica

Post by Six By Nine »

lemonstar wrote:No idea what year this (80's?) was but I went to this show in Sheffield (at the Octogon (?)- where they play or used to play snooker) and saw Ashra play a dazzling set. The crowd was pretty special too, I remember the rhythmic clapping at the start of the show, which I *think* was running a little bit late, seemed like the 2 halves of the audience were improvising some elaborate clapping patterns and interplay - weird! MG's guitar playing was so fluid. Anyone else on here attend that year or any other? Ian Boddy was also on the same year as the headliners Ashra.

Neil
That was the UK Electronica, I think it was 86, but I stand to be corrected -from memory Steve Jolliffe supported Ashra in the big room, and over the day there were sets from Ian Boddy, Mark Shreeve, Paul Nagle, a chap called Michael Brook (not the Eno collaborator, but I bought a nice tape of his, Fragile Shoreline) and Stevo. I've always wondered if Stevo was the same guy involved with Soft Cell.

Not a bad line up!
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

stevo was the guy who was behind a small indie record label called "some bizzare" which i believe was originally set up in lincoln. some of the bands he had signed to his label are now household names such as depeche mode ,soft cell , blancmange and b-movie to mention a few,the some bizarre album ftd all these artists and is available on cd if you can find one [very rare] :roll:
epsilon75

Re: UK Electronica

Post by epsilon75 »

Six By Nine wrote:
lemonstar wrote:No idea what year this (80's?) was but I went to this show in Sheffield (at the Octogon (?)- where they play or used to play snooker) and saw Ashra play a dazzling set. The crowd was pretty special too, I remember the rhythmic clapping at the start of the show, which I *think* was running a little bit late, seemed like the 2 halves of the audience were improvising some elaborate clapping patterns and interplay - weird! MG's guitar playing was so fluid. Anyone else on here attend that year or any other? Ian Boddy was also on the same year as the headliners Ashra.

Neil
That was the UK Electronica, I think it was 86, but I stand to be corrected -from memory Steve Jolliffe supported Ashra in the big room, and over the day there were sets from Ian Boddy, Mark Shreeve, Paul Nagle, a chap called Michael Brook (not the Eno collaborator, but I bought a nice tape of his, Fragile Shoreline) and Stevo. I've always wondered if Stevo was the same guy involved with Soft Cell.

Not a bad line up!
It was indeed 1986 as i have the programme here,performers were Stevo,Altres,Ashok Prema,Mark Jenkins,Wavestar(John Dyson & David Ward Hunt),Land of YRX,Mike Brooks,Ian Boddy,Steve Jolliffe and Ashra.
The programme was distributed by Epsilon Promotions 8) :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I must admit, Im a big fan of Ashra......and an even bigger fan of Ash Ra Tempel...giants of music, pure and simple...giants :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:I must admit, Im a big fan of Ashra......and an even bigger fan of Ash Ra Tempel...giants of music, pure and simple...giants :D
New Age Of Earth,Blackouts and Correlations are superb albums IMHO,right up there with the very best 8) :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:I must admit, Im a big fan of Ashra......and an even bigger fan of Ash Ra Tempel...giants of music, pure and simple...giants :D
New Age Of Earth,Blackouts and Correlations are superb albums IMHO,right up there with the very best 8) :D

awesome trilogy of albums, all classics, all perfect imho 8)
lemonstar

Post by lemonstar »

I remember all those names now - Ash Prema played some very Tangy sounding stuff and Mark Jenkins, I think, posed on stage with a laser reflecting off his full front silvered shades. I think I came away with an album of tracks from all or most of the artists that played there. I was impressed with Wavestar, Ian Boddy and Mike Brook (I couldn't remember his name but I remembered the word "shoreline" coming into the title somewhere) - a good show all round when you look back on it. I might be getting this mixed up with another gig but didn't some ex-Hawkwind members play under a name like Urban Guerilla? Perhaps that was another year. Or another place.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

bigmoog wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

my favourite ART albums are Ash Ra Tempel, Scwingungen and Join Inn - another awesome trilogy IMHO 8)
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

bergen-dreamer wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: New Age Of Earth,Blackouts and Correlations are superb albums IMHO,right up there with the very best 8) :D

my favourite ART albums are Ash Ra Tempel, Scwingungen and Join Inn - another awesome trilogy IMHO 8)
I can never make up my mind if these are brilliant, inspired mould shattering improvisations by visionary musical geniuses or just a bunch of stoned hippies on an endless jam with the tape rolling. Don't suppose it really matters if you enjoy it at the end of the day!

No doubt with the later stuff though - New Age of Earth, Dream & Desire, Blackouts, Correlations, Early Water, E2-E4 etc all cast iron EM classics made extra special by Manuel's sublime guitar.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Six By Nine wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
I can never make up my mind if these are brilliant, inspired mould shattering improvisations by visionary musical geniuses or just a bunch of stoned hippies on an endless jam with the tape rolling. Don't suppose it really matters if you enjoy it at the end of the day!

No doubt with the later stuff though - New Age of Earth, Dream & Desire, Blackouts, Correlations, Early Water, E2-E4 etc all cast iron EM classics made extra special by Manuel's sublime guitar.

as far as BM is concerned all the A R T albums are pure rock classics created by genius musicians at the true cutting edge of possibility...stoned maybe, an endless jam, perhaps....but music that is both beautiful and strangely strange

imho of course :oops:
hansx

Post by hansx »

The last weeks I play a lot of Ashra. Have discovered them (him) again. I have to admit a lot of the music of Ashra is better than a certain period of TD. Of course it is different. But somethings I like more then the later cd's of our heroes.
Now is playing the Private tapes. Lotus is freaking out there. Love it. :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

The Private Tapes are superb albums and contain some truly magical music IMHO 8)