Ashra

EDWEIRDO
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: UK Electronica

Post by EDWEIRDO »

epsilon75 wrote:
Six By Nine wrote:
lemonstar wrote:No idea what year this (80's?) was but I went to this show in Sheffield (at the Octogon (?)- where they play or used to play snooker) and saw Ashra play a dazzling set. The crowd was pretty special too, I remember the rhythmic clapping at the start of the show, which I *think* was running a little bit late, seemed like the 2 halves of the audience were improvising some elaborate clapping patterns and interplay - weird! MG's guitar playing was so fluid. Anyone else on here attend that year or any other? Ian Boddy was also on the same year as the headliners Ashra.

Neil
That was the UK Electronica, I think it was 86, but I stand to be corrected -from memory Steve Jolliffe supported Ashra in the big room, and over the day there were sets from Ian Boddy, Mark Shreeve, Paul Nagle, a chap called Michael Brook (not the Eno collaborator, but I bought a nice tape of his, Fragile Shoreline) and Stevo. I've always wondered if Stevo was the same guy involved with Soft Cell.

Not a bad line up!
It was indeed 1986 as i have the programme here,performers were Stevo,Altres,Ashok Prema,Mark Jenkins,Wavestar(John Dyson & David Ward Hunt),Land of YRX,Mike Brooks,Ian Boddy,Steve Jolliffe and Ashra.
The programme was distributed by Epsilon Promotions 8) :wink:
This is where my abysmal memory fails me....

I was at one of these UK Electronica festivals in Sheffield, and I'm recalling some of the names mentioned here being on the bill - BUT, the gig I was at had Neuronium as the headline act. Mark Shreeve was main support (a bloody excellent performance) and other artists that year included Steve Jolliffe and Paul Nagle. I remember Altres being there, but they had a stall selling cassettes (remember those days?!) rather than performing. was this a different year or am I imaginig things?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I do have the 85/86 Electronica Programme here...........
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

...further investigation concludes that I was at the 1984 event. I used to have a t shirt from the festival, I doubt it would fit me now! :roll:
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:The Private Tapes are superb albums and contain some truly magical music IMHO 8)
Indeed thet are fantastic cd's. I should want to have the complete Correlations someday. But have to save for it. :D
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Message from Manuel Göttsching on Facebook:
Because of my birthday on September 9, I have a present for you :-)
For 10 days, until September 19th, you can buy all items in our SHOP at http://www.ashra.com/shop/shop.htm FOR DOLLARS and
not at listed for Euros. It means that an album which usually costs 18 Euro, is available for 18 Dollars now. Don't miss this great opportunity!

The items in stock include the remastered 5 Ash Ra Tempel re-releases and my first solo release: "Inventions for electric guitar" . Enjoy!

Order at: order@ashra.c
I also asked if his two superb albums with Klaus Schulze from ca. 2000, Gin Rose and Friendship, will be available again. He answered that he is considering this. :-D
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

The December issue of Wire has a great 8 page article by Keith Moliné on Manuel Göttsching - celebrating the "E2-E4" album's 30th anniversary 8)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

bergen-dreamer wrote:The December issue of Wire has a great 8 page article by Keith Moliné on Manuel Göttsching - celebrating the "E2-E4" album's 30th anniversary 8)
thanks for the reminder Stein. the wire is always a great read.

Manuel on the cover as well....also an article about Turkish Psychedelia :? :shock:

:arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:The December issue of Wire has a great 8 page article by Keith Moliné on Manuel Göttsching - celebrating the "E2-E4" album's 30th anniversary 8)
thanks for the reminder Stein. the wire is always a great read.

Manuel on the cover as well....also an article about Turkish Psychedelia :? :shock:

:arrow:
Yes,thank you Stein,I will purchase this 8) :D
Insvims

Re: Ashra

Post by Insvims »

New Ash Ra Tempel live album on CD and LP:
http://www.cd-services.com/product_info ... 0&status=0

Hipgnosis

Re: Ashra

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Been listening and loving Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra since 1973 or so ... and this has always been a special part of my life in listening to music. And a year later or so, it became one of the mainstays, in Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio show, for many years, along side of Klaus, Edgar, TD, PV, AD2 and many others.

It's hard for me to sit here, and not enjoy these things ... just watched a film with Robert Redford (The Company You Keep) and my look at all that music THEN, is just as strong NOW, as it ever was. Some folks don't care for "7-UP", but its appeal, was almost as wide open and imaginary as so much stuff in those days ... but there is one thing in there that is really special, that everyone here "ignores", because it requires a magical historical sense to appreciate it ... when the narrator talks about matching the high fidelity of music with the German technology ... to create something new ... and guess what those folks did? That line might express what a lot of music in those days was going through ... but in one sentence, it tells you what Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and a lot of the exprimental scene was doing in those days, that we do not remember, we were too damn stoned?, and have not discussed properly for what it was, other than just some stupid and poorly designed music, when it is not about its "design", but about its feeling and its continuing expression.

Never, has anyone noticed, that sad inability to learn what the music was about in the first place ... not just the notes and the chords ... but the tangibles behind it that created the music in the first place!

Maybe the sexy appeal of a piece in "JOIN INN", or the apparent fun playing around in "STARRING ROSI", and then, the pair of albums that really gave you a notion that this was more than just a stoned exercise in music ... but something serious. I always got the feeling that this was music for the body to appreciate and enjoy at that special time, in our younger days ... which we have so conveniently forgotten, because we "grew up", and do not enjoy life anymore!

"INVENTIONS FOR ELECTRIC GUITAR" and the next album "NEW AGE OF EARTH", were both outstanding and showed that there was something really valuable here ... I like to think of IFEG as a sort of Klaus Schulze done with guitars ... and some things are trully wonderful in it, and then, on the next album, one of the trully magical experiences in listening to anything ... for me, it was one of the very first "new age" albums ever done, before "ambient" became the mode and the fad.

Many folks like the later material, which is more Manuel on his own performing, whereas the earlier material before these last two, was with a band. Manuel states that he is a "live performer", but what you get on almost all the albums before, is exactly that. Even the material on the Cosmic Couriers, which gets trashed all over and doesn't deserve it (specially the COSMIC JOKERS album), stands out for its "live" performance, which shows the incredible dedication to the feeling of the moment, and its sweet expression, something that you have to be patient to be able to enjoy ... and how it takes you apart and away on a smooth trip ... COSMIC JOY indeed, and it was one of Guy's background pieces for many years, because there are not many pieces of music that can flow and fly so smoothly, and quietly ... and not sound like musak, or new age later stuff.