To smoke or not to smoke?

sparrow
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

To smoke or not to smoke?

Post by sparrow »

As I sit typing I've been a week fag free. I've just had a wee fall out with the missus and I could kill for a fag. thing is theres 40 just 10 feet away. Sorry if this seems a stupid trivial topic. I've been smoking for 26 years and realisticly have to give the bastards up. It makes me feel a bit better already getting this off my chest (no pun intended) The first week just sailed by but today has been a complete bastard. My wife has stopped too and she seems to be doin OK. I'm not giving in just now but theres a long long battle up ahead. Any of you who smokes or has smoked knows what a struggle it is to quit them cancer sticks. Any answers to this with positive remarks would be appreciated. Cheers.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hang in there mate, you know it'll be worth it. Never smoked myself but know plenty of people who've tried to give up and I know it ain't easy. Best of luck.
timer

Post by timer »

I dont go much on being the Scurge of Society by the media for being a smoker. I have always regarded others who do not smoke, and can't remember the last time I lit up in a Retuarant, even smoke allowing one's!.

Surely the next thing to come will be aban on drinking anywhere but the pub !.
bigmoog

Re: To smoke or not to smoke?

Post by bigmoog »

sparrow wrote:As I sit typing I've been a week fag free. I've just had a wee fall out with the missus and I could kill for a fag. thing is theres 40 just 10 feet away. Sorry if this seems a stupid trivial topic. I've been smoking for 26 years and realisticly have to give the bastards up. It makes me feel a bit better already getting this off my chest (no pun intended) The first week just sailed by but today has been a complete bastard. My wife has stopped too and she seems to be doin OK. I'm not giving in just now but theres a long long battle up ahead. Any of you who smokes or has smoked knows what a struggle it is to quit them cancer sticks. Any answers to this with positive remarks would be appreciated. Cheers.

john, im with you....i have smoked fags on and off for 15 years....but smoked the green for longer.....much longer....gave up for a while...recently am back on 20 plus a day....its the most powerful drug...i hate it but love it.....not being able now to smoke in a pub is the killer, plus my last medical wasa scare......me blood pressure is too high...doc was angry....i was gutted...me dad died early from smoking related illness...im cutting down...must stop...will stop...it just takes the will to do it.....life is worth living....lets beat this habit.....i want to see TD's 50th .....and to see my nephews and nieces and her indoors kids grow up....and to be alive to see....you name it.....

gawd...i need a drink :shock:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I drink too much, I don't know what is worse.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Stick at it!

This may seem morbid but face facts - stop and you gain extra life, extra time with friends, family and extra TD releases!. OK so EF - creative dynamo that he is even now (shaming me for one, 20 years his junior) will one day kick back - do we think TD will fold? E'en now it's new and vibrant. Don't deny yourself those releases!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

My wee crisis has passed. Took the mutt for a long walk in the rain. Just gave the 40 fags away so their is no fags in the house. 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

sparrow wrote:My wee crisis has passed. Took the mutt for a long walk in the rain. Just gave the 40 fags away so their is no fags in the house. 8)
Good man John,you are getting there mate 8) :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Day at a time!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

sparrow wrote:As I sit typing I've been a week fag free. I've just had a wee fall out with the missus and I could kill for a fag. thing is theres 40 just 10 feet away. Sorry if this seems a stupid trivial topic. I've been smoking for 26 years and realisticly have to give the bastards up. It makes me feel a bit better already getting this off my chest (no pun intended) The first week just sailed by but today has been a complete bastard. My wife has stopped too and she seems to be doin OK. I'm not giving in just now but theres a long long battle up ahead. Any of you who smokes or has smoked knows what a struggle it is to quit them cancer sticks. Any answers to this with positive remarks would be appreciated. Cheers.
I don't smoke myself...... apart from the odd bit of green of course..... :wink:

However my partner (otherwise known as she who must be obeyed) does smoke and is currently trying to quit, so i do empathise as she's been like a bear with a sore head and in the process has been nipping my head.....profusely..... :twisted:
Be at one with the sequencing.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

having a ban at Train Stations is helping, I used to smoke a few at Waterloo before getting on the tube......no longer :arrow:

currently down to 10 a day (from 20-30)

Im aiming to stop :arrow:
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

you should get some Nicotine Patches. They are great, put them on your eyes and you cant find your fags!.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

cantosis wrote:you should get some Nicotine Patches. They are great, put them on your eyes and you cant find your fags!.

:o

I smoke them :arrow:
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

sparrow wrote: Any answers to this with positive remarks would be appreciated. Cheers.
Keep it up, mate. Due to various things when I was a kid, doctors used to queue up to predict my imminent demise (they promised I'd snuff it seven times before I was twenty-one) and so, having nothing to lose, I lived every day as if it was my last. As a result I started smoking at 14 and kept on - with just one small break - until six years ago. By then I was breathing through treacle soaked cotton wool, everything tasted like it was being chewed through a sweaty sock, I couldn't have smelled a cess pit if I was standing in it, and I was having a heavy fall of soot with my waking-up, morning cough. I'd tell you about the various health problems but I didn't really have enough health to have problems with by that time.

Then, for no particular reason other than the fact that it was beginning to look like the doctor's predictions would finally come true, I decided to give up and dropped all my cigs into a sink full of water. After a bit of a struggle (that statement will be entered for the all-England understatement tournament) for a few weeks, it started getting better. It's now been six years off the weed.

was it worth it? Well, all the respiritory problems I had vanished in about three months, the chest pains and headaches stopped, indigestion and stomach problems ceased, I suddenly could taste the difference between Guiness and milk, things started to have smells again, food became a delight instead of a habit, and girlfriends started commenting that whatever charms I might hold for them were greatly enhanced once I ceased to smell like a damp, overflowing ashtray. They also reckoned (gives an embarrasesed cough and blushes) that since giving up there was a noticeable improvemnet in a certain other area of activity we used to share in but my naturally shy and retiring disposition prevents me from going into further detail.

Because of the predictions, I once hoped that I might live long enough to have kids, then I hoped I'd see them grow up, now - post ciggies - I've ambitions to be around for the grandkids and hope to introduce and indoctrinate them into the delights of TD in days to come.

Don't worry if it's hard. It's really worth it. If you fall off the wagon a couple of times, don't let it get you down. Just get up and do it again. With me, it suddenly clicked and became far easier. You might lose the pleasure of smoking but I promise you that practically every other pleasure gets heightened once you beat it. When you find yourself on the couch watching a DVD, with a scotch or other tipple in your hand, while curled up with your favourite lady and you suddenly realise that you're not having to peer through a fog to see the screen, that the scotch taste delicious, and you can actually smell your lady's perfume or the shampoo she used that morning, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Good luck!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

What a fantastic story John,this could prove to be great encouragement to others :arrow: 8) :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.