December Playlist

Echosnare
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

December Playlist

Post by Echosnare »

Here's an idea:

Instead of a 400+ page thread on our current listening, how about we take it month to month?

It'll be much more manageable & readable.

OK, here goes...

Tonight, it's TD Plays... Metaphor, & Murray Gold - Doctor Who OTS.
24db

Re: December Playlist

Post by 24db »

Echosnare wrote:Here's an idea:

Instead of a 400+ page thread on our current listening, how about we take it month to month?

OK, here goes...

Good idea, although and I'm going out on a limb, how about we don't have one at all, or at least just a I'm listening to A B C? rather we add a few comments on why we like it, or some news on the disc, or a review, just something so like you said mate, it's not just 400 pages of lists.
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

24db wrote:

OK, here goes...

Good idea, although and I'm going out on a limb, how about we don't have one at all, or at least just a I'm listening to A B C? rather we add a few comments on why we like it, or some news on the disc, or a review, just something so like you said mate, it's not just 400 pages of lists.
I'll go with that......
redziller

Post by redziller »

Echosnare wrote:
24db wrote:

OK, here goes...

I'll go with that......
Wisdom quoted above.

So. I'm currently returning to Inferno (CD not DVD). A release I had initially not been impressed by. I was similarly ambivalent after RFH & Purgatorio but listening to the CD forced me to revise my opinion. So as my blessed daughter's giving me Paradisio on Monday (some commercial festival) I return to Inferno.

I think I had given it three auditions when it came out and couldn't penetrate the structure. So this time I've not even tried - just had it on and it's just like how I dealt with Zeit when it came out. Not a comparison one readily makes, but Zeit was a shock after hearing just Phaedra on though I've grown to adore it.

So instead of trying to pick out the libretto it's just flowing and flowing well. And I bear in mind too that this is describing Hell so it's not going to be C Major sweetness. I'm coming to love it. The sequences bang away the chords sweep and it's a journey and the structure is becoming clearer. Still a project for me but I'm beginning to think this is an undervalued piece.

Enough Andy?
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

OK.....

Doctor Who OTS

Apart from the obvious two versions of the current DW theme, this is a mixed bag of tricks, varying from the drama of Daleks, the sadness of deaths & departures to the whimsy & cheese of "Westmnster Bridge" for example,(From the 1st episode of Chris Ecclestons' incarnation), to the downright odd, where you ask your self "why?"

Why are there two songs on her peformed by Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy?

They are well peformed, Hannon, while not my favourite singer, isn't awful, but while they may have featured, or be about to feature in DW episodes, they kinda spoil the mood.

There are sublime moments, of course.

"The Doctors' Theme", (NOT the theme music) sung by Melanie Pappenheim, is gorgeous. This was used as a recurrent theme, to signify the tortured soul of the last of the Time Lords, when confronted by his loneliness & loss.

"The Face of Boe", with it's celtic tinges.....

"The Lone Dalek". It was hard not to feel sorry for the poor pepperpot, stranded alone on Earth, & "infected" with Roses' humanity. The music captures the sadness beautifully.

"Doomsday". From the final episode of series two. Again sung by Melanie Pappenheim,this is the music from the "Beach Scene", where the Doctor projects hmself into Roses' parallel Earth to say goodbye.

There wasn't a dry eye in Echosnare towers that night....

All in, a bit of a mixed bag, but tune out the less good, & stay for some of the great stuff.

Oh, & Roll on 7pm, Christmas Day........................ :D
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Echosnare wrote: Tonight, it's TD Plays... Metaphor, & Murray Gold - Doctor Who OTS.
Don't you dare to mention Murray Gold in the same breath as TD :shock:

I've HATED so much of his sickly, heavy handed TOO LOUD syrup that he's swamped almost all of Dr Who with in the new series... Where do these people get discovered? (Sorry, I'm not on Ian Levine's forum now am I.....). Maybe if the sound mixers on the above series had turned his volume down a bit (a lot!)..............
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Oh all right then.... SOME of Mr Gold's music wasn't bad, but I suppose I was watching the show (and trying to hear the words spoken) to notice how good the music may have been - I was so irritated by the way it tried to drown out everything...

I'll probably give New Age Of Earth another spin. I loved Deep Distance, a track that sums up my love for this era of EM, but didn't give as much thought to the others until recently......
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

I spent all the early hours of this morning, listening to TD. First up was SBE 2005, as I wanted to relive that marvellous night and put myself in the mood for the 40th Anniversary tour. This was followed by Rockface disc one. (I love the start of this disc. Mothers Of Rain, is a favourite of mine and I also adore the way that the energy of After The Call, gives way to the lilting melody of Tyger (instrumental)). Finished off with Exit, just for the hell of it really. Majestic!

PS Sadly, tomorrow is a TD free day. I'm having Christmas dinner with the in-laws and this always involves Shania Twain, Elton John, George Michael, Billy Joel, Meatloaf and Neil Diamond. (I mean as listening material, they are not guests!).
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:

OK, here goes...

Like the monthly idea. However, I think members should be free to post as they please. Sometimes an album name and an emoticon is enough and I am easily turned off by lengthy posts (better stop here then!).
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:

OK, here goes...

Like the monthly idea. However, I think members should be free to post as they please. Sometimes an album name and an emoticon is enough and I am easily turned off by lengthy posts (better stop here then!).
All fans should be free to post whatever they like, it was just an idea, afterall nobody forces you to read any comment
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

the website is now o.k (with a wonderful juke box of 7 songs)
it's a big moment for christmas.
Congratulations to the webmaster
Thank you TD
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote: Good idea, although and I'm going out on a limb, how about we don't have one at all, or at least just a I'm listening to A B C? rather we add a few comments on why we like it, or some news on the disc, or a review, just something so like you said mate, it's not just 400 pages of lists.
All fans should be free to post whatever they like, it was just an idea, afterall nobody forces you to read any comment
I read them all though. I hate to think I'm missing out on something. Just my insecure persona, I'm afraid!).
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I dusted off Dream Encores earlier. What a good wee compilation this is. Not as I thought when I bought it (live) but does have an excellent selection of Tracks.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:I spent all the early hours of this morning, listening to TD. First up was SBE 2005, as I wanted to relive that marvellous night and put myself in the mood for the 40th Anniversary tour. This was followed by Rockface disc one. (I love the start of this disc. Mothers Of Rain, is a favourite of mine and I also adore the way that the energy of After The Call, gives way to the lilting melody of Tyger (instrumental)). Finished off with Exit, just for the hell of it really. Majestic!

PS Sadly, tomorrow is a TD free day. I'm having Christmas dinner with the in-laws and this always involves Shania Twain, Elton John, George Michael, Billy Joel, Meatloaf and Neil Diamond. (I mean as listening material, they are not guests!).

I certainly would not mind getting in a tangle with Shania Twain tho Mick :shock: if you know what i mean :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

redziller wrote:So. I'm currently returning to Inferno (CD not DVD). A release I had initially not been impressed by. I was similarly ambivalent after RFH & Purgatorio but listening to the CD forced me to revise my opinion. So as my blessed daughter's giving me Paradisio on Monday (some commercial festival) I return to Inferno.

I think I had given it three auditions when it came out and couldn't penetrate the structure. So this time I've not even tried - just had it on and it's just like how I dealt with Zeit when it came out. Not a comparison one readily makes, but Zeit was a shock after hearing just Phaedra on though I've grown to adore it.

So instead of trying to pick out the libretto it's just flowing and flowing well. And I bear in mind too that this is describing Hell so it's not going to be C Major sweetness. I'm coming to love it. The sequences bang away the chords sweep and it's a journey and the structure is becoming clearer. Still a project for me but I'm beginning to think this is an undervalued piece.
Yeah, there's a few parts of Inferno that I, too, feel have a nice quality to them underneath all the screaming ladies. A little like Tyger in other words, only with the difference that the latter is actually good. :twisted:

I'm not going to push myself too hard to like it however, TD are not the only guys in the world who make excellent music… I think I've lis'nd the album all the way from beginning to end only twice over these 5 years.