Vangelis

wayfarer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by wayfarer »

Vangelis is a genius in my opinion. I first listened to his music after hearing Heaven and Hell at a friend's house. I bought a Best of (the one with the spheres on the cover) and have always loved the Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, The Bounty, and 1492 scores.

My major irritation was the inability for anyone to release a definitive Blade Runner soundtrack album in the way that fans wanted it to be released, as in keeping the cues in the order that they're are in, in the movie. was it really too difficult and too much to ask? Instead, we first got a crazy album of orchestral interpretations.
Years later we get a CD of music with mostly new music and flamin talking over the top of it. Then, the promise of a definitive soundtrack. Except it was a repeat of the the previous, some newly released cues and more new music; with talking over the top! :evil: Unbelievable!

Luckily some great bootlegs got increasingly better in quality and delivered what fans wanted all along. The problem is i'd rather the money spent on these went to Vangelis, the artist. A total mess!

Sorry, rant over. It's something close to my heart as the music is wonderful.

Is Vangelis working still? I haven't seen any releases for a while.
Le Combat du Sang

Post by Le Combat du Sang »

wayfarer wrote:Vangelis is a genius in my opinion. I first listened to his music after hearing Heaven and Hell at a friend's house. I bought a Best of (the one with the spheres on the cover) and have always loved the Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, The Bounty, and 1492 scores.

My major irritation was the inability for anyone to release a definitive Blade Runner soundtrack album in the way that fans wanted it to be released, as in keeping the cues in the order that they're are in, in the movie. was it really too difficult and too much to ask? Instead, we first got a crazy album of orchestral interpretations.
Years later we get a CD of music with mostly new music and flamin talking over the top of it. Then, the promise of a definitive soundtrack. Except it was a repeat of the the previous, some newly released cues and more new music; with talking over the top! :evil: Unbelievable!

Luckily some great bootlegs got increasingly better in quality and delivered what fans wanted all along. The problem is i'd rather the money spent on these went to Vangelis, the artist. A total mess!

My sentiments exactly, Wayfarer.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

wayfarer wrote:Vangelis is a genius in my opinion. I first listened to his music after hearing Heaven and Hell at a friend's house. I bought a Best of (the one with the spheres on the cover) and have always loved the Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, The Bounty, and 1492 scores.

Im sure Vangelis is still doing stuff....I think Chris (Janus) Newman has the info,,,check his FB
...The wise.....are silent.....
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Thanks BM! I'll have a looksee.
24db

Post by 24db »

man, there's somebody I haven't played in years...I own everything up to when he started regular orchestral stuff
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

definitely a great load of music from vangelis, I enjoy all up to 1492

but my real favourites remain spiral, albedo and beaubourg, what are brilliant and timeless and brilliant
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

For me it's Spiral, Albedo and China. My guilty secret is also like the pop stuff he did with Jon Anderson. Like Andy I haven't listened to them in a while.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
tdream88

Post by tdream88 »

According to Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis devoted solely to painting and he stopped composing and playing music.

French article:

Anthony (à propos de Jarre) : A quand un duo avec Vangelis ?

J.-M. J. : Ça va être compliqué car il a complètement arrêté la musique. Il s'est mis à la peinture. Musicalement, ça aurait pu m'intéresser, mais au niveau de l'image, je ne suis pas sûr...

Translation :

Anthony (about Jarre) : When will a duet with Vangelis?

JM J. : It will be complicated because it has completely stopped the music. He began to paint. Musically, it might interest me, but at the image, I'm not sure ...
"The visible creates a work in form - the invisible defines its worth"
Lao Tse - Tao Te King // Optical Race \\ RIP EF✝
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Previous EM-artist-turned-painter evidence suggests he'll be back eventually…

Last having been heard in soundtracks may be a bad sign however :twisted:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:For me it's Spiral, Albedo and China. My guilty secret is also like the pop stuff he did with Jon Anderson. Like Andy I haven't listened to them in a while.
I'm really gonna have to go back to my Vangelis albums, they really have been neglected
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

The City is my fave Vangelis album, play it quite often. used to enjoy listening to when I was going home after a nightshift, fitted the mood perfectly.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:The City is my fave Vangelis album, play it quite often. used to enjoy listening to when I was going home after a nightshift, fitted the mood perfectly.
excellent album IMHO...even grumpies like it ;)
Jon

Post by Jon »

24db wrote:man, there's somebody I haven't played in years...I own everything up to when he started regular orchestral stuff
Wasn't Mythodea his only orchestral album? Alexander was mostly synth.
24db

Post by 24db »

Jon wrote:
24db wrote:man, there's somebody I haven't played in years...I own everything up to when he started regular orchestral stuff
Wasn't Mythodea his only orchestral album? Alexander was mostly synth.
either way...I was off the train by then
Jon

Post by Jon »

wayfarer wrote: Is Vangelis working still? I haven't seen any releases for a while.
I think this is the last thing he did, some minutes on an obscure soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAOvbZLRKtc

I had no idea he had started painting though! :lol: