Dieter Moebius (1944 -2015)

la sagesse du destin
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Dieter Moebius (1944 -2015)

Post by la sagesse du destin »

Very sad year for the electronic music!

With Dieter Moebius , it was an other side of electronic music with singular sounds. I like very much some compositions of this man with and without Cluster.
R.I.P
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
ant

Re: Dieter Moebius (1944 -2015)

Post by ant »

:( Very sad indeed. Loved Cluster, Harmonia and others of that time. Great music and a very talented guy. 2015 is not turning out to be a great year for EM. We can only hope that things will get better and that we have some wonders to come in the next 12 months, like JMJ and of course the 'Quantum' TD. R.I.P. Dieter and hopefully you are making wonderful music with our Maestro Edgar. :(
Biggus Dickus
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I'm resigned to the fact that many of these will fall away from us, and their music will simply fade away.

With today's commercial mentality, the work that he did and was so entertaining in the 1970's is now lost in the shuffle, and considered a freak and silly, and no one with DAW's in their hand would ever consider creating a piece of music by simply flipping a knob or two anymore ... and this hurts ... because it means that we're concerned with the wrong thing ... and we're not listening to it all anymore ... it means nothing to one's experience kind of thing.

Sadly, the 150 plus LP's and CD's I have of so much of this stuff in the 70's, not including TD (50 plus) or KS (50 plus) or Vangelis (35 plus), will probably NEVER be heard by anyone after I pass on ... and I'm already 64, and writing things here that sometimes, feel like a goodbye.

With the passing of Edgar, the whole TD thing is over. And worst, is that many people really did not understand the value and strength it took to add/change music to what it became from the 60's and 50's. It's a lost conversation and a dead end for so many of us ... even here on the board ... most people have gone ...

Silence is golden ... and it also shows how far under one is! Just like the music from yesterday, most of which is getting buried.
ant

Post by ant »

:? TD is definitely not over as far as I am concerned and am really looking forward to the new release(s). It is sad you feel that way but it is of course your choice. There is still a lot of electronic music out there but it will always appeal to a smaller number of people than your usual 'chart' music. That is the case now and was the case then. I just feel I am glad I have always followed this style of music and feel sorry for those that have missed out on it. As far as I am concerned it is their loss!! NO, NO, NO - TD goes on and I am looking forward to what we can expect over the next couple of years. Yes it will be without the Legend that was Edgar but as far as I am concerned it will all be in his memory - and I can't wait, especially to see them live in 2016. Bring it on guys and do Edgar proud. :D
Biggus Dickus
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

ant wrote::? TD is definitely not over as far as I am concerned and am really looking forward to the new release(s). It is sad you feel that way but it is of course your choice. There is still a lot of electronic music out there but it will always appeal to a smaller number of people than your usual 'chart' music. That is the case now and was the case then. I just feel I am glad I have always followed this style of music and feel sorry for those that have missed out on it. As far as I am concerned it is their loss!! NO, NO, NO - TD goes on and I am looking forward to what we can expect over the next couple of years. Yes it will be without the Legend that was Edgar but as far as I am concerned it will all be in his memory - and I can't wait, especially to see them live in 2016. Bring it on guys and do Edgar proud. :D

Hear, hear!!!
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

ant wrote::? TD is definitely not over as far as I am concerned and am really looking forward to the new release(s). ...
Mostly re-hashed stuff and left overs. I doubt there will be anything new in the midst, that has not already been used.
ant wrote: ...It is sad you feel that way but it is of course your choice. There is still a lot of electronic music out there but it will always appeal to a smaller number of people than your usual 'chart' music. That is the case now and was the case then....
Incorrect. In LA, and in Santa Barbara, a lot of these things were fairly well known, and while not the massive seller as Elton John or Rolling Stones might have been at the time, the sales in that area for Tangerine Dream and many other electronic folks was major, by comparison to many other places in America.

In fact, Edgar even did a very nice promo for Guy Guden and his Space Pirate Radio show, whom Edgar and the band knew had always played TD religiously for many years, in a commercial radio station.

However, today, the media is not interested in music, and it only discusses the hits to make sure they can get their readership. But in those days, there were too many places where we could shine and be seen, and appreciated. Today, a lot of this is gone and buried. YES ... there are more folks that play, and they are on YT or otherwise ... and no one knows or remembers their name!

That does not help the movement or the history of it.

TD continuing it or not, is not as important to me, as the music itself, and a style and interpretation that is not used, yet, on classical music, and will one of these days, hopefully as a synthesizer as ONE instrument in the orchestra ---- instead of a replacement for the other instruments!!!!! Something that I am sure Edgar would not stand for!

We're not making enough noise ... and where is the orchestra here and there playing the stuff? I mentioned this to the local conductor here in Portland, and he thinks that Frank Zappa is not a composer, and that TD is not music! The only thing they do is bring in Pink Martini because the girls bring in fans, I guess, that the old and ugly orchestra would not!

We need to go better than that! A lot better, when you got folks that do not know music from a fart in the wind!
ant

Post by ant »

:) I disagree. The TD stuff to come will be different and I personally am very excited about it. This was Edgar's change for the Quantum Years and if he was still alive you would still be interested in it. Just because the great man has passed it does not mean the other old and new members can't do him proud. If you are no longer interested in TD now Edgar has left us then why are you still even bothering to post on the Forum? :)
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

ant wrote::) I disagree. The TD stuff to come will be different and I personally am very excited about it. This was Edgar's change for the Quantum Years and if he was still alive you would still be interested in it. Just because the great man has passed it does not mean the other old and new members can't do him proud. If you are no longer interested in TD now Edgar has left us then why are you still even bothering to post on the Forum? :)
Well said!
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

ant wrote::) I disagree. The TD stuff to come will be different and I personally am very excited about it. ...
It's the same if it were a different band.
ant wrote: ... This was Edgar's change for the Quantum Years and if he was still alive you would still be interested in it. Just because the great man has passed it does not mean the other old and new members can't do him proud.
Idealistic at best, because there will be many interpretations of what the man said and understood, and no one will agree on all of it! By the very fact that one person is not there, the music will be different. They might have bits and pieces already recorded by EF that were saved, but sometimes, taking these out of context, will not, necessarily improve anything. If that was the case, there would be a whole bunch of stuff from a 1,000 composers and artists out there that had their stuff done/redone after they passed away. Again, it's idealistic at best, and it might be better to not even think about it as keeping a ghost alive playing a phantom keyboard!
ant wrote: ... If you are no longer interested in TD now Edgar has left us then why are you still even bothering to post on the Forum? :)
I have lived for 40 years fighting for this group and their music, including trashing the ____ that called it "washing machine music", when I had to state that he obviously did not know the difference between the noises in his washing machine, and what a bunch of synthesizers were putting out.

There is little in my life that I value more, than TD, so you trying to show/state that i am not fit to be a kisser and a fan, is not apprpriate. You do not see, or perhaps understand, the level of commitment and love involved here, that causes comments like those to be said. AND, you are saying this to someone that is the son of a famous person, and has seen the fall out in those situations and how sad they are for the art itself, and how no one, in the end, cares about it.

It's very surrealistic to know that 6 ft under, the ants and the bugs couldn't careless about anything you did. You're still good food, regardless, but not to the ones that we would say ... "matter"!
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

I have been a TD fan for nearly 30 years. Edgar's passing was a grievous loss to many of us as well as myself personally. Even though Edgar is not at this cosmic address anymore, I will still listen to whatever the band continues to offer for as long as they continue to offer it. I am free to like or dislike the material and I am free to purchase or not purchase any future releases.
I think I am missing the point you are trying to make, Hipgnosis. It sounds as if you have "given up" on Tangerine Dream forever since Edgar has died and that is your choice and your right to do so. The best the remaining band members can do is carry on in Edgar's spirit through future releases. No, it won't be 100% Edgar's idea/input, but that doesn't mean it will be utter garbage.
Try to keep an open mind and don't dismiss a piece of music that you haven't even heard.
ant

Post by ant »

:? I too have been a TD fan for 45 years and that is why I cannot understand how you loose interest in them just because Edgar has now passed on to a better place. You are basically saying that TD was just Edgar and that all the other great musicians that have performed with him over the years mean nothing to you. That I find strange and very sad. Yes, of course Edgar was the founder of TD and composed some fantastic music in all those years he was with us but the other members made some very important contributions to the band too. I feel quite justified in saying that if you no longer have any interest in what they do now without Edgar then why bother posting in the forum. If I had no interest in them now I know I wouldn't continue posting - what would be the point. It is like saying I hate reality TV but continue to watch it, or say you hate a particular comic but carry on watching them and then moan about the content of their material, knowing full well that is what they are like. Just don't get it I'm afraid. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I just don't understand it. :?
Biggus Dickus