NEW EDGAR FROESE TRIBUTE ALBUM

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: NEW EDGAR FROESE TRIBUTE ALBUM

Post by Jon »

Rubyconesque wrote:>>On the other hand, Mark Jenkins at least knew Edgar personally - TD was supposed to sign to Jenkins' AMP Records in the mid 90s. For some reason, it never happened. <<

was there ever any musical collaboration between them??
No.
Jon

Post by Jon »

projekt-elektronik wrote:
ant wrote::) There is a new tribute album to Edgar Froese by Mark & Chris Jenkins. [...]
Of all people... knowing MJ's stuff all I can do is fear the worst.
Rubyconesque wrote: [...] Am I the only one who finds these - usually- 2nd rate musicians bringing out tribute albums of their OWN music rather opportunistic ???
[...]
Exactly my thoughts.
Rubyconesque wrote: [...]professional musician [...]
Possibly the wrongest possible term when talking about MJ.
So what is wrong about Mark Jenkins?
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Rubyconesque wrote: ...
Am I the only one who finds these - usually- 2nd rate musicians bringing out tribute albums of their OWN music rather opportunistic ???...
How would you like to be a musician that loved the music, had some equipment and does something like this ... and then try to tell people about it ... only to hear someone say that you are a shmuck!

That's not fair, I would not do that to my dog or cat!

it might turn out to be extremely good and have some wonderful things in it!
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

Jon wrote:
projekt-elektronik wrote:
ant wrote::) There is a new tribute album to Edgar Froese by Mark & Chris Jenkins. [...]
Of all people... knowing MJ's stuff all I can do is fear the worst.
Rubyconesque wrote: [...] Am I the only one who finds these - usually- 2nd rate musicians bringing out tribute albums of their OWN music rather opportunistic ???
[...]
Exactly my thoughts.
Rubyconesque wrote: [...]professional musician [...]
Possibly the wrongest possible term when talking about MJ.
So what is wrong about Mark Jenkins?
If I need to explain, you will never understand. Listen and find out for yourself -- if you have a musical ear and can tell proper craftmanship from charlatans, that is.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
ant

Post by ant »

:) Mark Jenkins (born 1960, Wales) is a British musician and music writer. He has done articles for various UK and international magazines including Melody Maker, New Musical Express, Music Week, International Musician, Keyboard (US), and Mac Format, and has also written a book on the subject called Analog Synthesizers which was reviewed in Tape Op magazine.

Jenkins studied at BA Arts course at university; he worked in the university television and electronic music studios to create his first live performances. Graduating with a BA Honours degree, he became Music Editor of the magazine Electronics & Music Maker. Working on other publications where he interviewed artists including Philip Glass, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran, he gave further performances at London Olympia, the London Planetarium and the Royal Festival Hall among other venues.

Jenkins formed the label AMP Music in 1983. He has performed with David Vorhaus as White Noise at venues including the Bochum Planetarium, Germany, and the All Tomorrow's Parties festival. He also performed at the Peter Harrison Planetarium at The Royal Observatory in 2009.[1] In 2012 Taylor & Francis published a new book by Jenkins, "iPad Music".

Charlatan - I don't think so! :)
Biggus Dickus
projekt-elektronik

Would you indulge me the freedom not to like his music and his synthesiser-playing skills?
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
ant

Post by ant »

:) No problem with you saying you do not like his music, we are all entitled to do that should we want to, but personally attacking their abilities is another thing - a step too far in my book!! :x
Biggus Dickus
rigel

Post by rigel »

ant wrote::) Mark Jenkins (born 1960, Wales) is a British musician and music writer. He has done articles for various UK and international magazines including Melody Maker, New Musical Express, Music Week, International Musician, Keyboard (US), and Mac Format, and has also written a book on the subject called Analog Synthesizers which was reviewed in Tape Op magazine.

Jenkins studied at BA Arts course at university; he worked in the university television and electronic music studios to create his first live performances. Graduating with a BA Honours degree, he became Music Editor of the magazine Electronics & Music Maker. Working on other publications where he interviewed artists including Philip Glass, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran, he gave further performances at London Olympia, the London Planetarium and the Royal Festival Hall among other venues.

Jenkins formed the label AMP Music in 1983. He has performed with David Vorhaus as White Noise at venues including the Bochum Planetarium, Germany, and the All Tomorrow's Parties festival. He also performed at the Peter Harrison Planetarium at The Royal Observatory in 2009.[1] In 2012 Taylor & Francis published a new book by Jenkins, "iPad Music".

Charlatan - I don't think so! :)
I know who Mark Jenkins is because years ago I bought one of the "Music For the Third Millenium" CDs from him (the one with Spacenight Runner on it). Also a friend who also liked TD talked to me about AMP records back in the early 1990s. But I didn't know he had done all that, so thank you for the resume. I wish I'd seen him at the London Planetarium - I presume that was when it was still at the Baker St address.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

I sense something personal between Jenkins and project-elektronik.

I've heard a few of Jenkins' albums. Some of it's good, some of it's not. The good stuff was better than the output of a few other UK synth acts.
Last edited by Network23 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
projekt-elektronik

Network23 wrote:I sense something personal between Jenkins and project-elektronik. [...]
Erm, no.

I just don't like his music and I believe his synthesiser playing skills are sub-standard, that's all.

He has quite some reputation, especially in the UK. Just try and drop his name every now and then when you are in a group of like-minded synthesiser enthusiasts (particularly when these people have been around since the 1980s).
Network23

Post by Network23 »

projekt-elektronik wrote:He has quite some reputation, especially in the UK.
So do some others that I'm not wholly certain are deserving of the hallowed tones with which they are discussed.

The thing is, with so many imitators/emulators, there's bound to be stuff you do like and don't like. I like Arc, but they're not going to tell you they aren't emulating '70s TD.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Very personal regarding this. Not nice to read such on here.

Project Electronica ....... the negativity directed towards the music of others is abundant from you.

Different when it's your own music though eh ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Network23 wrote:I sense something personal between Jenkins and project-elektronik.
:D
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

WARNING --- 3rd rate poet and otherwise stupid writer!
Don't bother reading!

Thanks!

I wanted to go outside
tp pick some flowers
a lot of folks
were crying
around a funny box
and these smells
were funny
mom gave me a doll
and told me to wait outside
what are they doing?
I asked
someone died
what's that?
they left us
and went away
where?
to heaven.

I watched a little
and in the window
over there
it was sunny outside
and I wanted to go there
mom let me go.

The door was slightly open
and I opened it some more
and it made a little noise
and an old lady looked at me
with an ugly face
but I wanted to go outside
so I ignored the old lady
and stepped out.

There were trees
there were birds
there were butterflies
and I ran with my arms open
weeeeeeeee ....
and I immediately lowered my voice
weeeeeeeee ....
and I fell on the ground
on the soft grass
and rolled and rolled
and I saw the birds
I saw the trees
I saw the grass
I saw the butterflies
and then
I stopped rolling
and watched the sky
all around
lots of things
flying
this was fun
As I turned
I saw some pretty flowers
and I got up
and went to gather a few
to bring them back
in the distance
I heard some music
momma said it was music
and it was alright
and as I picked the flowers
I got a few more flowers
and got closer to the house
I reached the door
opened it
and walked in
and gave momma the flowers
she smelled them
smiled a wee bit
looked at me
looked at the flowers
and then
she got up
and took the flowers
to that funny box
someone was almost closing it
and they stopped
and momma threw the flowers
in there
and the man finished
closing the box.

We all left that house
a minute later
and drove home
I could see the fields
I could see the flowers
I could see the birds
I could see the butterflies
in the distance

(c) Pedro Sena Printed and posted with permission on TD Forum 2015
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Rubyconesque wrote:Am I the only one who finds these - usually- 2nd rate musicians bringing out tribute albums of their OWN music rather opportunistic ???
Mark Jenkins is a **sleazebag** of the lowest caliber, and has always leeched off the work of others. The amount of musicians STILL owed money from their releases on AMP music is staggering, and Jenkins would always justify non-payment with "Oh, but I have to earn back all of MY expenses first before I can give you any money".

"Second rate" is actually far too kind a description...

Jon wrote:On the other hand, Mark Jenkins at least knew Edgar personally - TD was supposed to sign to Jenkins' AMP Records in the mid 90s. For some reason, it never happened.
Actually they were for 1 album (Turn of the Tides) after which Jenkins publicly "dumped" them from his label via an open fax message (I actually have a copy of it around here somewhere). Now he wants to "pay tribute"? Pathetic, opportunistic, out and out disrespectful- just a vulgar notion all around...