NEW EDGAR FROESE TRIBUTE ALBUM

ant
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: NEW EDGAR FROESE TRIBUTE ALBUM

Post by ant »

:) Have just listened to Mark & Chris' Tribute to Edgar album and enjoyed it. Eight nice tracks totalling around 45mins with a few nice nods to Edgar's music including some guitar sections. Thanks for this very touching tribute to the Maestro himself. I'm sure he is enjoying it at his new Cosmic Address! :)
Biggus Dickus
studio308

Post by studio308 »

Jon wrote:TD was supposed to sign to Jenkins' AMP Records in the mid 90s. For some reason, it never happened.
Actually it happened. At the time, when TD didn't have a proper label (1992-1995) they were giving albums to many labels at once around the world. This is true for Rockoon, Turn of the Tides and Tyranny of Beauty. The last one was released by AMP Records in UK: http://www.discogs.com/Tangerine-Dream- ... se/1003571
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Just so everyone knows, the Jenkins's project is not the only album on Bandcamp with this title:
http://bandcamp.com/search?q=change+of+cosmic+address

Plus there is another one called simply Cosmic Address http://spacecloudsfilter.bandcamp.com/a ... ic-address

Incidentally, none of the other ones have even a passing resemblance to Edgar Froese's style of music. The Jenkins's album at least is a decent pastiche of EF's solo works, which is interesting in itself, since while there are numerous artists who mimic the sound and style of Tangerine Dream in general, this is the first time I've heard anyone create something that sounds similar to Edgar's solo material. It's one thing to just go all Berlin School which will have people saying it reminds them of TD, but to capture the nuances of EF working alone is another thing entirely. Ethics aside, we have at least four artists on one music portal website who lifted EF's catch phrase for album titles, but only one of them seems to have gone about it the right way.
studio308

Post by studio308 »

TheXFactor wrote:If it truly is a "tribute", then give it away for free. Or at the very least, donate 100% of the proceeds to a music school and absorb all the costs yourselves. I mean, it's a "tribute", correct? Not a way to make quick money off of someone else?
Agree with this.

If this project doesn't give money to cover the cost there's no need to make it commercial at all. At least CD can cover the cost of CD itself and FLAC should be free.

The comparison with Silva Screen and other film labels is similar in that they use "trademark" name to earn money. You mention Edgar Froese in your title and his phrase, which are great search terms. Also you make this release a part of his discography for TD/EF fans, you play on them. Such a release, just like all other TD-inspired releases is now part of TD history, in "miscellaneous" section, but still.
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

All this nattering ref the Jenkins duo's album - I came across an ad on Discogs.com site for the album selling at a horrendous Euro's 30 !!! A tad over the top for a cd-R methinks!

Had a listen to the You-tube link and have to say it's not half bad - they seem to have captured the style / sound of Edgar up to a point - though tof course the production will never be as good as TD/EF. That said I cannot be persuaded to buy any album from any imitator.
Thus I refuse to watch tribute bands. I find it distasteful that they are making money off the efforts and creation of the original artists. .....and usually never paying for the privilege of doing so. I did not appreciate the use of the Sorcerer lead or attempted copies of TD sequences or the Stuntman copied front cover in the Jenkins product for the same reason.

I think it says it all that other musicians on the UK synth scene eg David Wright, ARC, Boddy, Dyson, Shreeve, Law Nagle etc have not put out anything under a 'tribute album' label on the basis that their own music stands up for itself. Certainly not so hastily as the Jenkins duo.
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

Jon wrote:
TheXFactor wrote:Edgar actually always had a HUGE issue with people trying to make money off the name/brand of Tangerine Dream- a particular example being all those Silva Screen soundtracks that came out in the 90's which he had no hand in the quality control of.
Well, even Edgar should know that the second you deliver your film score to the director and you get your money for it, you no longer own the music, and the film company can do what they want with it. Silva Screen is a long-running and well-respected film music label who did no wrong.

Exactly right. It seems Froese had issues with letting anyone release music they may have had a right to release, if he objected to it for any reason. If memory serves, Silva Screen did reach out to TD in preparing their CDs but were turned down.

Also keep in mind, Froese is the reason the isolated score on the LEGEND DVD / Blu Ray is only the MCA album tracks and not the actual complete score. Once he was notified of the plan to isolate the entire score on the DVD, the project was delayed a year or so, and we ended up with the completely useless "isolated score" track there now.

He was notoriously difficult to deal with, according to album producers who wanted to license TD soundtracks. Apparently only late in life did his attitude change, as LaLaLand Records described him as a total gentleman when releasing the Wavelength soundtrack.
chrisjenkins

Post by chrisjenkins »

Rubyconesque - thanks for some kind comments about the CD. I don't know who's selling it for 30 Euros, of course it's available at sensible prices from Amazon or C&D Services, and as a download from Bandcamp.

I'm sure you appreciate that the musical references you hear in the album are part of the pastiche of EF/TD style, and not at all intended to be copies of any specific EF/TD tune. Of course, you will also hear Mellotron sounds that were used by TD, but they're from the Nord sample library, not from TD albums. In the same way, the sleeve was designed from scratch, with visual references to the design and fonts of Stuntman, but was in no way meant to be a copy - it's a pastiche. I mean, there are dozens of 'cover versions' of, say, Dark Side of the Moon, all using versions of the original sleeve, but you wouldn't accuse them of 'copying' the sleeve - it's all part of the tribute. And Change of Cosmic Address, lest we forget, is all original music.

You'll find a nice piece about the album and the live event here:

http://concert-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

Chrisjenkins- Thanks . Pics look impressive . I take it the speakers at the back were not all yours? :-)