New Age music

Insvims
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

New Age music

Post by Insvims »

Thought there maybe was a need for a thread about new age. :-)
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I stumbled upon this great site:

http://www.newagemusicworld.com/

They also cover TD. Even the newest releases:

http://www.newagemusicworld.com/new-tan ... -releases/

:-)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

When I think of new age music I think of tacky compilations or panpipe style albums, that is what a lot os stores put under that name anyway
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

cantosis wrote:When I think of new age music I think of tacky compilations or panpipe style albums, that is what a lot os stores put under that name anyway
Understand what you mean. But the genre is much more than that. I don't care at all for those pan pipe cover albums. But I like good New Age music. :-)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

cantosis wrote:When I think of new age music I think of tacky compilations or panpipe style albums, that is what a lot os stores put under that name anyway
That would be my take on it...

...but I'm willing to be educated. :wink:

It always makes me think of CDs full of whale's songs.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Chris Monk wrote:
That would be my take on it...

...but I'm willing to be educated. :wink:

It always makes me think of CDs full of whale's songs.
If you ever get the chance to lay your hands on this album:

Then grab it! Wonderful!

http://kevinkendle.com/cd-autumn.htm

Listen to the Keeper's Cottage sound clip. :-)

PS: I am the only person I know that can listen to (and take pleasure from) both Thrash Metal and New Age (and many things in between). :wink:
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Kitaro can be considered New Age. I think he has a lot of great music. :-)
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm sure I listen to many artists that fit in the New Age genre. I think it's a stupid name that puts a lot of listeners off, but there are surely many talented artists in the genre that are NOT into whale song or crystal bowls.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Jon wrote:I'm sure I listen to many artists that fit in the New Age genre. I think it's a stupid name that puts a lot of listeners off, but there are surely many talented artists in the genre that are NOT into whale song or crystal bowls.
The name New Age appears to be the kiss of death in the UK.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

New Age is one of the most ignored music genres I know. The genre is very broad and contain all kind of music from whale songs and panpipes to sinister "space symphonies" and world music. In my opinion Tangerine Dream is not that far from New Age (super new age?).

Many years ago I bought a digital receiver to my analog TV as the digital broadcasting started. These receivers have a "radio" mode and I subscribed to a large set of radio stations playing certain music generes. One of the stations played New Age. At first I listened to it out of curiosity but soon realised I like the music, especially played as background music. Some of the tracks played where excellent but unfortunately there was no information available about the tracks or artists.

Exploring more revealed the problem of New Age. Most of it is dull music but some of it is excellent. Finding out what I like has turned out very difficult. Lots of great music is hiding in the shadows.

Listening to new age makes me feel very fresh and clean. Like breathing fresh autumm air after a fresh shower/sauna.

One of my new age favorites is Wayne Gratz who makes great piano new age music.

Kevin Kendle's name is familiar from somewhere. The clips available indicates the album to be pretty average and typical new age.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

har

Post by har »

Insvims wrote:
If you ever get the chance to lay your hands on this album:

Then grab it! Wonderful!

http://kevinkendle.com/cd-autumn.htm

Listen to the Keeper's Cottage sound clip. :-)

PS: I am the only person I know that can listen to (and take pleasure from) both Thrash Metal and New Age (and many things in between). :wink:
I hate Thrash Metal :) I am however the only person I know that listens to and enjoys music ranging from Heavy Metal through to Deep Ambient. My bairns, and wife think my music tastes are bizarre......................GOOD :P

PS Checked out the Autum samples on itunes and there is some really nice stuff on that. Not so keen on the birdsong which seems to be prevalant on one or two but might get that album.
har

Post by har »

Just checking some of my itunes stuff there and..................

Edgar Froese - Aqua
Lightwave - Nachtmusic

Both classified as "New Age" which is bizarre in the extreme.

Also see Budd/Eno -Pearl listed as new age and other Harold Budd albums. I would not classify them as such :?:

I suppose its down to an individuals definition and at the end of the day if you like the music who gives a stuff !!

Has to be said there really are some guff new age albums out there, but no doubt some good stuff also.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

har wrote:Just checking some of my itunes stuff there and..................

Edgar Froese - Aqua
Lightwave - Nachtmusic

Also see Budd/Eno -Pearl listed as new age and other Harold Budd albums. I would not classify them as such :?:

Edgar Froese's Aqua is new age with ease. So is Budd/Eno Pearl (good album btw!). New Age just is that broad genre!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

71 dB wrote:
har wrote:Just checking some of my itunes stuff there and..................

Edgar Froese - Aqua
Lightwave - Nachtmusic

Edgar Froese's Aqua is new age with ease. So is Budd/Eno Pearl (good album btw!). New Age just is that broad genre!
Yeah, what I have heard of the Aqua album I must say is New Age-ish.