Blu Ray Versus DVD

TangFanIRL
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by TangFanIRL »

I recently switched to a Blu Ray set up and the difference in visual quality particularly is substantial. Take 'Alien' for example - the amount of new detail that I can see in the movie is amazing! I'm watching it on a 46 inch TV screen btw (HD ready - you'll need one of those - time to say goodbye to that old CRT TV you've had for the last 15 years). You will notice things in great detail that DVD couldn't show. I'm happy with the switch and tend to buy Blu Ray version of newer film particularly as the benefits over DVD are very noticeable.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

TangFanIRL wrote:I recently switched to a Blu Ray set up and the difference in visual quality particularly is substantial. Take 'Alien' for example - the amount of new detail that I can see in the movie is amazing! I'm watching it on a 46 inch TV screen btw (HD ready - you'll need one of those - time to say goodbye to that old CRT TV you've had for the last 15 years). You will notice things in great detail that DVD couldn't show. I'm happy with the switch and tend to buy Blu Ray version of newer film particularly as the benefits over DVD are very noticeable.
I'm running blu-ray on a 46" tv. And normally, yes it is wonderful.. However, some films certainly do not benefit from the extra detail and bizarrely appear too sharp with too much detail and this spoils it. Strange, but true!
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

I'm happy with the switch and tend to buy Blu Ray version of newer film particularly as the benefits over DVD are very noticeable.
This leads me to ask of the Blu-ray manufatcturers...

Why would we want a "triple pack" with Blu-Ray, DVD and digital edition.

I seem to recall not so long ago you could get a new-release Bluray for
around £ 16-17. Now, with the "free" DVD and digital edition you're looking at £ 19-20

This to me is the most pointless of "bargains"

"Shall we watch Harry potter in glorious Bluray or just the normal DVD version. hmm. which to choose."

No doubt someone will have a counter-argument....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:No doubt someone will have a counter-argument....
Not me. I've always thought that it was a bit of an odd marketing ploy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
I'm happy with the switch and tend to buy Blu Ray version of newer film particularly as the benefits over DVD are very noticeable.

around £ 16-17. Now, with the "free" DVD and digital edition you're looking at £ 19-20

"Shall we watch Harry potter in glorious Bluray or just the normal DVD version. hmm. which to choose."

8) Well, an extra DVD for about £3 more would come in handy if you don't have a BD player in every room that you want to watch it in, or if you want to give the DVD as a present to someone who doesn't have a BD player :)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Marakesh wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:

8) Well, an extra DVD for about £3 more would come in handy if you don't have a BD player in every room that you want to watch it in, or if you want to give the DVD as a present to someone who doesn't have a BD player :)
I agree with this, but... some releases are upwards of £25 for the "triple pack". For certain films, ie ones that I only want to want in the "a/v room" I won't pay this and I'd rather they just release the blu-ray.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Watched Near Dark on Blu-ray last night, and must say it's a vast improvement of my region 1 DVD - both when it comes to sound and picture.

Looking forward to the TD/B. May Blu-ray :D
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

GlynRichards wrote:
Marakesh wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote: This leads me to ask of the Blu-ray manufatcturers...

I agree with this, but... some releases are upwards of £25 for the "triple pack". For certain films, ie ones that I only want to want in the "a/v room" I won't pay this and I'd rather they just release the blu-ray.
:) I'm hoping for a triple pack BD/DVD/CD of the TD/BM Tenerife concert 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marakesh wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:
Marakesh wrote: 8) Well, an extra DVD for about £3 more would come in handy if you don't have a BD player in every room that you want to watch it in, or if you want to give the DVD as a present to someone who doesn't have a BD player :)
...and 5 albums in coloured vinyl no doubt. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Chris Monk wrote:
Marakesh wrote:
GlynRichards wrote: I agree with this, but... some releases are upwards of £25 for the "triple pack". For certain films, ie ones that I only want to want in the "a/v room" I won't pay this and I'd rather they just release the blu-ray.
Never mind the coloured vinyl, but something like the Tangerine Dream ´70 - ´80 Limited Edition Nimbus audiophile pressing 4-LP box set with a large 28-page colour booklet, all housed in a 12" square picture box, would be glorious :P

Michael Argyle
hansx

Post by hansx »

Marakesh wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:
Marakesh wrote: 8) Well, an extra DVD for about £3 more would come in handy if you don't have a BD player in every room that you want to watch it in, or if you want to give the DVD as a present to someone who doesn't have a BD player :)
Should there be so much material that it fits. :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marakesh wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
Marakesh wrote: :) I'm hoping for a triple pack BD/DVD/CD of the TD/BM Tenerife concert 8)
Never mind the coloured vinyl, but something like the Tangerine Dream ´70 - ´80 Limited Edition Nimbus audiophile pressing 4-LP box set with a large 28-page colour booklet, all housed in a 12" square picture box, would be glorious :P
Still got my 70-80 Box Set somewhere. It's an object of great beauty.
har

Post by har »

Chris Monk wrote:
Marakesh wrote: Never mind the coloured vinyl, but something like the Tangerine Dream ´70 - ´80 Limited Edition Nimbus audiophile pressing 4-LP box set with a large 28-page colour booklet, all housed in a 12" square picture box, would be glorious :P
Still got my 70-80 Box Set somewhere. It's an object of great beauty.
The 70-80 box is one of my favourite things in the history of all things :!: Only had it a couple of years and had to buy the book separately. All in cost me a fortune, well worth it though 8) As I'm in vinyl mode will play it all tonight when I get home.

Still not Blu Rayd up yet, set it up this weekend...................I promise :wink:
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I like Blu-ray Disc Picture quality is way better Not like DVD Disc
It has Mpeg-2 see a video quality is o.K. in digital video
And Though DVDs are three times smaller then the Analog Laser Disc
Pioneered in the 80s they can hold the double Data.
I go with Blu-ray Disc the Video quality looks better :wink:

Now I am selling all my DVD Video at pawn store or the Music Video Store.

Some I keep on DVD some are Rare Collection.

:!: :arrow: