Blu Ray Versus DVD

Schulze
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Blu Ray Versus DVD

Post by Schulze »

With TD's concert in Tenerife soon to be released on Blu Ray it got me thinking about the issue of Blu Ray versus DVD.

I don't personally own a Blu Ray player and I've been quite happy with the 5.1 DVD system that I've had for the last couple of years as it provides excellent picture and sound quality.

My question is.... Is Blu Ray really a significant improvement in terms of picture and sound quality over DVD?

Any thoughts /opinions ??
Be at one with the sequencing.....
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've only watched one Blu Ray and didn't see much difference between DVD and BD ..I don't have a blue ray player and won't buy one right now as I don't really have to. They are quite cheap now though a half decent one can be bought for £100.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Yes, it is a big difference if set-up correctly. But.. it does depend on how the disc was done in the first place. I've got blu-ray discs that look worse than some of my DVDs upscaled to hi-def via the player. But if you get a 'good' blu-ray, then you should notice it straight away. If not then you either need to have you equipment checked or have your eyes checked. The sound is less of a difference, especially if you have a good amp to start with. I've got a blu-ray with seperate audio outs which feed into individual inputs on and old (but very good) 5.1 anp and this sound quite good.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

I'm looking forward to playing the Tenerife concert blu-ray on my cheap Sony player and it sounds awesome as it is connected to the Arcam Rdac 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

sparrow wrote:I've only watched one Blu Ray and didn't see much difference between DVD and BD ..I don't have a blue ray player and won't buy one right now as I don't really have to. They are quite cheap now though a half decent one can be bought for £100.
I'm kind of thinking the same as yourself Sparrow in that I only bought my DVD 5.1 system just over 2 years ago, so I can't justify upgrading again so soon, not while my current system is running just fine (he touches some wood).

My next system will probably be a Blu Ray, but i guess by then Blu Ray will be old hat and there will be a newer format on the block... :wink:

Bring back Betamax !!! :lol:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

GlynRichards wrote:Yes, it is a big difference if set-up correctly. But.. it does depend on how the disc was done in the first place. I've got blu-ray discs that look worse than some of my DVDs upscaled to hi-def via the player. But if you get a 'good' blu-ray, then you should notice it straight away. If not then you either need to have you equipment checked or have your eyes checked. The sound is less of a difference, especially if you have a good amp to start with. I've got a blu-ray with seperate audio outs which feed into individual inputs on and old (but very good) 5.1 anp and this sound quite good.
All good points, which I can't add anything to. :)

I don't presently have a 5.1 set up in the living room so am using the sound via my hi-fi through 2 Sharp speakers,
which is nowhere near as good as a 5.1 system would be, but is a vast improvement over the stereo speakers built into the TV.
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote: I don't presently have a 5.1 set up in the living room so am using the sound via my hi-fi through 2 Sharp speakers,
which is nowhere near as good as a 5.1 system would be, but is a vast improvement over the stereo speakers built into the TV.
That's exactly the same set up I used have until my DVD player finally bit the dust a couple of years ago and I took the plunge with a new 5.1 system.

It certainly makes a difference.... :)

If i was doing the same thing today, based on what people are saying about Blu Ray, I would certainly go for a Blu Ray system, but as my current 5.1 DVD system is so new I can only imagine half of the grief (in 5.1 surround sound) I would get from my other half about upgrading again so soon... :lol:
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I bought a Blu-ray player last autumn. I must say that some movies has a much better sound and picture quality. Really great differences. But other movies don't have any significant improvements in comparison to the DVD.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

My DVD player is ancient. It cost quite a bit when I bought it but it's more than made up for it. So I may well be getting a Blu Ray player soon.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

Bought a Sony Blue Ray Sysytem when we moved here in December.

The totally ridiculous situation is I haven't set it all up yet. Just using DVD and Sky plus. Getting the finger out this weekend as my young lad is coming home after a year abroad. He is film mad.

Blue Rayd up by Saturday 8)
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Different releases of a film vary; I prefer Region 1 DVDs for films produced in the USA as they are usually uncut unlike the British releases of them and they are also better picture quality than Region 2.
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
ant

Post by ant »

:) Why can't you use a Blu Ray player with your current 5.1 system. You don't need to upgrade - I didn't. You only need to upgrade if you want to increase it to 6.1 or 7.1 and all that means is buying another speaker or two. :)
Biggus Dickus
hansx

Post by hansx »

Of course it is an significant improvement. Maybe not in sound, but certainly in movie. Real HD is much sharper than the uploaded dvd's.
I certainly will choose for BR instead of dvd.
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Perhaps a far more pertinent question would be....does the increase in picture quality actually make you enjoy the film any more? After all, isn't that the most important thing of all? I would rather watch a great film on VHS than a poor one on Blu-Ray.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

exit81 wrote:Perhaps a far more pertinent question would be....does the increase in picture quality actually make you enjoy the film any more? After all, isn't that the most important thing of all? I would rather watch a great film on VHS than a poor one on Blu-Ray.
Although some VHS were of a high quality, I would rather watch a great film on BD than a great film on VHS. I agree that the quality of the film is, by far, the most important but I really do feel that the best possible picture quality is also important.

Michael Argyle