HMV...last man standing.

sparrow
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

HMV...last man standing.

Post by sparrow »

OK I know their stores are poor ..but around here it's almost all I've got in ways of a CD shop. Their selection of CD's is dire even in the big stores in Glasgow & Edinburgh. It's just been announced that 40 stores in the UK will close and I'm not in the least surprised. I now shop mostly online but rarely use HMV..I much prefer Amazon who are usually cheaper and have more stock In stock. I still feel a bit sad though as when our first local HMV opened in Falkirk for a couple of years it was excellent for CD's and DVD's. they catered for all tastes too an stocked all new releases on day of release.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Just before Christmas, HMV opened a (small) shop in my hometown of Newcastle-under-Lyme. On the flyers they were giving out during the first week it said something like "HMV are opening up in Newcastle for Christmas".

It remains to be seen whether they meant that they were opening in time for Christmas or whether it's just a Christmas only lease and they may close sometime in the New Year
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I used to like HMV but now the competition is too strong. when they charge 13-99 for albums which you can get for half the price elsewhere there are always set for failure. I sometimes get their DVD offer 3 for £15 or whatever but overall they are poor in every department.

Their online store is a different matter though, free shipping and a lot of prices that stack up well with play and amazon but then I think theyu are based in Guernsey so are able to do things cheaper
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

cantosis wrote:I used to like HMV but now the competition is too strong. when they charge 13-99 for albums which you can get for half the price elsewhere there are always set for failure. I sometimes get their DVD offer 3 for £15 or whatever but overall they are poor in every department.

Their online store is a different matter though, free shipping and a lot of prices that stack up well with play and amazon but then I think theyu are based in Guernsey so are able to do things cheaper
I've purchased a few pre-orders from them on-line recently and they always arrive either before or bang on the official release date, and as said their prices can be very competitive - i can't fault HMV on-line.
Be at one with the sequencing.....
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

HMV have a large store at Lakeside and opened a "smaller" one a few doors down that dealt in just chart stuff to help the bigger store manage!
But both the HMV in Lakeside and Basildon are now fronted by the dvd section with the cd section pushed to the back and a much smaller section...not a bad selection in there mind, severe lack of TD still except the usual Ricochet or Sorcerer!
Pergamon_PB

Post by Pergamon_PB »

I hope they don't close any of their FOPP fascia stores!!!
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:HMV , severe lack of TD still except the usual Ricochet or Sorcerer!

yeh but usually for over a tenner, last time I looked at TD albums they were 13 odd quid, this was a few years ago mind but even then I remember thinking what a rip off.
GAZZ COLLINS

Post by GAZZ COLLINS »

HMV in doncaster is an absolute joke ,jammed pack full of rubbish!!. When it first opened in donacster it was at best o.k,they pushed all the other stores out of town including the fantastic "TRACK RECORDS" which is the best music store doncaster has ever seen i.m.o.
Now they have moved premises into the all new frenchgate centre and the store is bigger but the choice is just as bad.I recentely went to london and the oxford street store which was'nt too bad i thought.It seems to me that HMV have just got too greedy and
tried to monopolize peoples choice but the internet has outwitted their greed,and it serves them right ... we dont all like lady ga ga and J.L.S... in 20 years no one will remember them and probably HMV aswell!!
gazz collins TDBA yorkshire division :roll: :roll:

THE VIRTUAL SUITE http://gazzcollins.webs.com/
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

The local HMV stores here are terrible. I buy loads of CDs but couldn't find anything I wanted. They seem to have vast quantities of the latest Pop recordings but no Rock/Metal/Prog/EM. I won't miss them at all. If they can't cater for their target market they get all they deserve.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

I will be gutted if they close HMV in Dundee, whilst its pretty difficult for me to try and purchase anything I really want therein we need HMV on the High Street..........and Waterstones !!!!

HMV xmas vouchers, managed to buy;

Orb/Davey Gilmour 8)
Best Of Kansas double 8) 8)
Dougie Maclean - the new one. 8) 8) 8)

3 absolutely brilliant albums so well chuffed.

Saw a few other good deals on stuff so will be supporting my local HMV and Waterstones as often as possible !
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Must agree Har...HMV Falkirk may be one of the 40 to close...won't be worth the bus far if it does.. :cry:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Just before Christmas, HMV opened a (small) shop in my hometown of Newcastle-under-Lyme. On the flyers they were giving out during the first week it said something like "HMV are opening up in Newcastle for Christmas".

It remains to be seen whether they meant that they were opening in time for Christmas or whether it's just a Christmas only lease and they may close sometime in the New Year
Well, I now have my answer. Went to Newcastle-under-Lyme town centre yesterday (18th January) and the HMV shop has now gone. So i guess it was just a little part-time money-spinner for them. Which leaves the best place in Newcastle for CDs is..... Sainsbury's :oops: :roll:
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

I do miss going into a music store like HMV and having the option to listen to a whole album on headphones before I decide to buy it. The problem with the samples that you get online is that they are often just the first 30 seconds of each track in low sound quality, and in the case of TD, it doesn't give you much of an idea of what the rest of the track is like after the intro. Furthermore, waiting for delivery can be as frustrating as the HMV price instore :x
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Before buying almost all my music on the 'net, HMV used to be the main place I got music from (specifically Oxford Street).

I know get all my music from Amazon.co.uk, soooooo much more convenient than having to travel, going into a crowded shop, not having to worry that an alarm will accidentally ring off, etc The bottom line is that these shops won't stock most of the music (and DVDs) I tend to get.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Just popped into Oxford St and they did have a fair ol selection of I'd say about 30 titles.

Tried taking a pic on my phone but security warned me off - seemed to be against a free ad

Oh well :roll: :arrow:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game