The Appeal of "Live" Concerts???

mag3
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Appeal of "Live" Concerts???

Post by mag3 »

Hi again! I'm starting to read some more of the threads here.

I was reading the "Concerts" thread, where everyone is mentioning what concerts they might attend. It made me think to ask this question... What is the appeal of going to a live concert? To be honest, I really just don't get it. :shock:

Call me crazy (as I'm sure some of you will... :mrgreen:), but to me, it's always been about "the music." That is, listening to the music and letting my imagination do the rest, just like reading a good book vs. watching "the film." The few times I've been to a live concert (or the many times I've seen one on video/DVD), too many things have distracted me from the music.... the fans, the noise, the behaviors, sometimes even the artist's stage personae. I'd much prefer to sit in a comfortable chair, pop on my Bose QC2's and "drift away...."

Maybe I've just been too bloody "cerebral" all my life and can't fully appreciate the emotional energy of a live concert. I used to enjoy live "big band" jazz concerts and (on the opposite spectrum) full blown classical (oddly enough, both at Avery Fischer Hall, Lincoln Center, NYC). But I don't get into the city that much these days.

So what does it for you in re: "Live concerts"?
Mars

Post by Mars »

The appeal is: The best and finest people in the world are TD fans! When you hook up with us, you`ll know :-) We are like a big family caring for each other. Note: You are talking to the "hardcore td fans" here :-). And as a TDOC member, you get the chance to meet the band after the concerts as well, for pictures and siginings. It is ALL about the music! But we took it one step further! And the fan-meets some hours before the shows is always a great experience. (sometimes with Raffles, and chances to win rare TD items etc.)

There is always some new TD fans showing up at the fan-meets from time to time, and they say (what I`ve heard), that they loved the atmosphere among us, and ties valuable connections.
We love to meet, we love TD, and it`s all about the music! :-)

So please join in next time :-)
Janus

Post by Janus »

http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
bigdaveh

Post by bigdaveh »

Having worked at and seen many concerts it is the whole thing.
The waiting for the ticket to arrive, the Venue which in the 80's I got to see many different concert halls around the UK.
For those who like a pint before a gig going into a pub near the venue and seeing fellow fans and seeing faces you may not have seen for a while.
Then the gig may it be good or bad what you expected or not.
The ringing in your ears if it was a loud 1 and by god been to some loud 1's. :lol:
Meeting your favourite band, having been at many band & fan meets to see the fans meet the Band and be excited, getting things signed & speaking to people you think are gods.

As for the Dream fan meetings its thanks to a bunch of dedicated people AND they know who they are :!: that make it special. To be able to meet old and new friends, To meet people from various countries and cultures. To talk about not just TD but other artists that you like.
They are a good bunch of people at the fan meets and I hope 1 day you can experience a fan meet :)
The Stoke TDBA Division.
dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams »

Love the slideshow and great to put some faces to names that are already familier.
timer

Post by timer »

uknationalist wrote:
Love the slideshow and great to put some faces to names that are already familier.

:oops: :wink:
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Phew, managed to avoid all those photos!!! 8)
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Mars wrote:The appeal is: The best and finest people in the world are TD fans! When you hook up with us, you`ll know :-) We are like a big family caring for each other. Note: You are talking to the "hardcore td fans" here :-). And as a TDOC member, you get the chance to meet the band after the concerts as well, for pictures and siginings. It is ALL about the music! But we took it one step further! And the fan-meets some hours before the shows is always a great experience. (sometimes with Raffles, and chances to win rare TD items etc.)

There is always some new TD fans showing up at the fan-meets from time to time, and they say (what I`ve heard), that they loved the atmosphere among us, and ties valuable connections.
We love to meet, we love TD, and it`s all about the music! :-)

So please join in next time :-)
Yes, I agree. Only a hardcore (read nutter) fan would drive other TD fans 4 hours one way and four hours back again the same night for a cold, damp gig!!! And I still missed the opportunity to pick up one of those "portable toy" thing in the garage toilets :oops:
Last edited by GlynRichards on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

As a former music store manager in Boston during the '90s, I had my pick at whatever show I wanted to see - and with that usually ended up with heading out to 2 - 3 shows a week - and I did that for YEARS. Needless to say, today I'm burned out. Last week I saw the Cult - and apart from seeing TD - it was the first show I'd been to in about 8 years. (In fact, I tried to back out of going, but my buddy in the city was insistent I show up since he would've been sitting on a $30 ticket.)

Apart from that, I've actually bought tickets for some of my favorite bands, put them on the fridge in anticipation of the shows - and come the night of the performance, looked at them and just blew them off. Going to concerts is just way too much of a hassle these days. Time, money, booze, crowds. Been there done that.

Although in defense of the actual experience of going to a concert, I have to say some bands are definitely much better live than on record!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

uknationalist wrote:

BM is more than 2 stone lighter since them photographic representations were taken, still pugugly tho :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

For me. It's the atmosphere of the venue, crowd, lights, band, and smell in the air. It's seeing all these people who back in the 90', 80', 70', and even 60's who went and saw the bands and now again seeing the bands that we grew up listening to. Maybe not the same band members but still sounding good if not better than 15, 20, 30 years ago. With the exception of this year, I was going to 10-15 concerts a year since 2001. Some bands sound so different live than on the albums. Some are just a "LIVE" band. I would rather listen to music or go see a concert than watch TV or go to the movie. If I didn't like the concert experience, I wouldn't fly over the Atlantic last November and this year to see my favorite band play live in concert in front of other fans coming from all over the country. There are 3-4 bands I would fly to go see and experience live. And if 2 other bands would come out of retirement, I would go see them too. So I think you really have to enjoy music, good music to enjoy the "live" experience that you would find at a concert. I have over 120 live concert dvd's, but I just dont have the same feeling as being there. It's more so for memories of the past.

When I'm in the house listening to an album, I am thinking about memories, times when the music took me somewhere or someplace. Sometimes bad, sometimes good. Same for when Im driving to work or on a road trip. The music makes the time go by.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
dreamerofdreams

bigmoog wrote:
uknationalist wrote:

BM is more than 2 stone lighter since them photographic representations were taken, still pugugly tho :D

You haven't met me yet BM. Stockport's champion pie eater :lol:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Simply put; many of the bands I've seen are better live than they are on record and often add to the material that's been recorded.
dreamerofdreams

Chris Monk wrote:Simply put; many of the bands I've seen are better live than they are on record and often add to the material that's been recorded.

Agree Chris. For my sins I am a fan of Status Quo. Their albums have often been dire, but the live experience is amazing.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

uknationalist wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
uknationalist wrote: Love the slideshow and great to put some faces to names that are already familier.

You haven't met me yet BM. Stockport's champion pie eater :lol:
come to next years RAH2010 fan meet....in London...pie n mash :idea:
...The wise.....are silent.....