EM forum down?

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote: Do you like Stratosfear Mick? ;)
What gave it away?
Um....how can I put this? :D

Chris thinks you like Stratosfear this much:

modulator_esp

Post by modulator_esp »

Sometimes I think that EM forum and the TD Forum were diametric opposites when it came to opinion on TD, which isn't surprising really as the TD forum always seemed to be for the die-fard TD fans and the EM Forum was for fans of Electronic Music as a whole and never the twain shall meet, or at least not very often anyway ;)

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so but it looks like that's the way it will always be.

I shouldn't worry about the ex-EM Forum 'TD-haters' coming here though, it would be anathema to them and no doubt a replacement for EM Forum will be found shortly ;)

BTW I should add that I am a member here because I am very interested in TD, particularly historic stuff, but can't really say that any of their recent music has been my cup of tea
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

modulator_esp wrote:Sometimes I think that EM forum and the TD Forum were diametric opposites when it came to opinion on TD, which isn't surprising really as the TD forum always seemed to be for the die-fard TD fans and the EM Forum was for fans of Electronic Music as a whole and never the twain shall meet, or at least not very often anyway ;)

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so but it looks like that's the way it will always be.

I shouldn't worry about the ex-EM Forum 'TD-haters' coming here though, it would be anathema to them and no doubt a replacement for EM Forum will be found shortly ;)

BTW I should add that I am a member here because I am very interested in TD, particularly historic stuff, but can't really say that any of their recent music has been my cup of tea
I consider myself a fan of most types of EM and I don't just listen to TD. However, I find that I don't have enough time to concentrate on more than one forum. I settled on this one, as it was TD that lured me into the World of EM and some of the other forums are too technical for me. I still use them to gain valuable info. though and I'm certainly not worried about people posting views contrary to my own. As one of the other forum members correctly points out "it's only music" and everybody is free to enjoy what they like.

BTW Jez, don't be a stranger!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
modulator_esp

Post by modulator_esp »

Hobo wrote:
I consider myself a fan of most types of EM and I don't just listen to TD. However, I find that I don't have enough time to concentrate on more than one forum. I settled on this one, as it was TD that lured me into the World of EM and some of the other forums are too technical for me. I still use them to gain valuable info. though and I'm certainly not worried about people posting views contrary to my own. As one of the other forum members correctly points out "it's only music" and everybody is free to enjoy what they like.

Obviously being a TD fan and EM fan isn't mutually exclusive, but I have found that a fair few TD fans seem to have a rather blinkered outlook.

I guess a lot of it depends on how you got into TD/EM and what else you liked before and many other factors.

I can only speak from personal experience, in that I didn't get into TD until the 90's and only had a very small selection of their stuff up until a few years ago and actually rather liked a few of the 90's albums, but since the Bootleg Boxes came out and I discovered a whole new world of early TD I found that I much prefer that period and similar music by other bands and that the early improv stuff has been a great influence on how I approached making music.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

modulator_esp wrote:
Hobo wrote:

Obviously being a TD fan and EM fan isn't mutually exclusive, but I have found that a fair few TD fans seem to have a rather blinkered outlook.

I guess a lot of it depends on how you got into TD/EM and what else you liked before and many other factors.

I can only speak from personal experience, in that I didn't get into TD until the 90's and only had a very small selection of their stuff up until a few years ago and actually rather liked a few of the 90's albums, but since the Bootleg Boxes came out and I discovered a whole new world of early TD I found that I much prefer that period and similar music by other bands and that the early improv stuff has been a great influence on how I approached making music.
I would imagine that being a musician, it gives you a different perspective. My musical tastes are quite diverse and I try not to close my ears to new musical experiences. Ultimately though, I just like what I like and I guess that's the same for all of us.
24db

Post by 24db »

modulator_esp wrote:
Hobo wrote:

I don't agree about TD fans being anymore blinkered than any other music fans. You like what you like, you tend to navigate towards people with the same tastes and that's it.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Um....how can I put this? :D

Chris thinks you like Stratosfear this much:

He seems to be saying "HUGE!!!" as well. :wink:
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

modulator_esp wrote:
I disagree about the blinkered outlook part. People are free to like whatever they want to. I love music by TD, JMJ, Optical Image and John Serrie. I love music of lots of different genres such as Classical, Modern Jazz, Rock, West African etc.
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:
I disagree about the blinkered outlook part. People are free to like whatever they want to. I love music by TD, JMJ, Optical Image and John Serrie. I love music of lots of different genres such as Classical, Modern Jazz, Rock, West African etc.
Totally agree, I can't imagine anything more boring than 'just' liking TD or 'only' playing their music. My collection contains almost every niche and genre of electronic music from the Avant Garde to pop, plus classical and Jazz.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:
Totally agree, I can't imagine anything more boring than 'just' liking TD or 'only' playing their music. My collection contains almost every niche and genre of electronic music from the Avant Garde to pop, plus classical and Jazz.
Got to agree with that Andy, although my TD collection numbers well over a hundred or so CDs (possibly over two hundred, I haven't actually counted). It's only a small fraction of my totally collection. Nearly all of the rest of it is NOT electronic music but rock, prog, jazz fusion, solo guitar, etc, etc........There are even periods of time when I can't listen to TD at all...... shock, horror. During such periods I won't be coming here to post that all TD is rubbish, it's not TD's fault..... some times you just need something different.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote: I disagree about the blinkered outlook part. People are free to like whatever they want to. I love music by TD, JMJ, Optical Image and John Serrie. I love music of lots of different genres such as Classical, Modern Jazz, Rock, West African etc.
Got to agree with that Andy, although my TD collection numbers well over a hundred or so CDs (possibly over two hundred, I haven't actually counted). It's only a small fraction of my totally collection. Nearly all of the rest of it is NOT electronic music but rock, prog, jazz fusion, solo guitar, etc, etc........There are even periods of time when I can't listen to TD at all...... shock, horror. During such periods I won't be coming here to post that all TD is rubbish, it's not TD's fault..... some times you just need something different.
Exactly, just because I have a favourite meal, it doesn't mean I want it all the time, my pallate would soon become jaded.

A mate of mine asked me recently how many times I play Ricochet (knowing I think it's one of, if not the best album from TD), and I replied, ''Oh, about 3 or 4 times a year', and he was shocked, he thought I'd be playing it every month or week. TD's music has more depth, and has brought me more enjoyment than any other group or artist, but my most played albums of the last year aren't by TD, they're Neptunes and A Strangely Isolated Place. I've probably played them 60 or 70 times each, but I listen to other stuff as well, but not in tiny niches, within pre-defined 'rules', I just play what I like.
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

Hi All.

EM Forum dead?

Bummer.

Too many poisonous and obnoxious little gnomes with nothing positive to say about anyone except the "made men" of EM.

Good riddance I say, hopefully it'll mean a new forum independent of music distributors will fill the void.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Seeker_UK wrote:Hi All.

EM Forum dead?

Bummer.

Too many poisonous and obnoxious little gnomes with nothing positive to say about anyone except the "made men" of EM.

Good riddance I say, hopefully it'll mean a new forum independent of music distributors will fill the void.
Hmmmm, I seem to remember that the little trolls would usually flame fans of the "made men" of EM, mainly TD and JMJ....

They couldn't take their own medicine though.... HA....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

i saw some trolls and gnomes at a garden centre today

arguing over who should sit by the ornamental pond in a garden in surbiton :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Seeker_UK wrote:Hi All.

EM Forum dead?

Bummer.

Wow, it took a long time for you to make your first post Stuart. Were you hibernating? Good to see you back!