Beer

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Beer

Post by Hobo »

Thought I'd resurrect the beer thread, as I'm currently quaffing a Belgian offering - La Becasse framboise. Not sure what to make of it yet, it's a fruity number, not unlike cider (except with raspberries, instead of apples), with the sharp acidity of the fruit remaining on the palette. I'm not one to quit on the job, so I'll keep drinking to make sure I like it. :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
billythefish

Re: Beer

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:Thought I'd resurrect the beer thread, as I'm currently quaffing a Belgian offering - La Becasse framboise. Not sure what to make of it yet, it's a fruity number, not unlike cider (except with raspberries, instead of apples), with the sharp acidity of the fruit remaining on the palette. I'm not one to quit on the job, so I'll keep drinking to make sure I like it. :wink:
Splendid idea! I had an interesting 'box set' for Christmas - the Fuller's specials, including a couple of 'Porters' ales. These, according to the Guiness Brewery itself, were precursors to the Irish Stout we all know and love.... originally drunk by London dockers, a recipe taken by Mr. Guinness when he realised what a pure water supply there was in Dublin.

But tonight, I have mostly been drinking Bass.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Im still trying to make a big hole in the bottles of RED i bought before xmas,still around 25 bottles left :shock: might just put a few in the holdall for consumption before the TD concerts in April :idea: :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I guess my favourite beer is Innis & Gunn. A nice Scottish ale with 6.6% alcohol. mmmm...
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

My favorite beer is undoubtedly Guiness extra cold,its so easy to drink and tastes just fine :D Im also partial to a few pints of Kilkenny,but that one must be treated with respect as it can make a mess of you :oops:
Hobo

Re: Beer

Post by Hobo »

billythefish wrote:
Hobo wrote:Thought I'd resurrect the beer thread, as I'm currently quaffing a Belgian offering - La Becasse framboise. Not sure what to make of it yet, it's a fruity number, not unlike cider (except with raspberries, instead of apples), with the sharp acidity of the fruit remaining on the palette. I'm not one to quit on the job, so I'll keep drinking to make sure I like it. :wink:
Splendid idea! I had an interesting 'box set' for Christmas - the Fuller's specials, including a couple of 'Porters' ales. These, according to the Guiness Brewery itself, were precursors to the Irish Stout we all know and love.... originally drunk by London dockers, a recipe taken by Mr. Guinness when he realised what a pure water supply there was in Dublin.

But tonight, I have mostly been drinking Bass.
I recently did a bit of background research on Guinness and unearthed that after discovering the delights of Porter ale, Mr. Guinness decided to return to Ireland. Whilst waiting for passage, he reportedly sampled a Welsh ale that was darker in colour and closer in texture and taste to Guinness, than the Porter ale. Thus, it is claimed that Guinness is a Welsh invention.

Unfortunately, this particular Welsh ale seems to have stopped being brewed at some point and although I found reference to it, I am unable to sample the evidence myself.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

What was the Welsh Ale called Mick :?:
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:What was the Welsh Ale called Mick :?:
In the articles I read, it wasn't named, only described. I'll do some more digging and see what I can unearth.
batman

Post by batman »

Ohh..boys. To me are absent English beer :(
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:What was the Welsh Ale called Mick :?:
In the articles I read, it wasn't named, only described. I'll do some more digging and see what I can unearth.
This is interesting! Would love to know more.

Re. chilled beer - I get really bad headaches if it is too cold. I don't like it really warm, but not too cold either...

I know what you mean about Kilkenny Colin! It did terrible things to my lavatory last time I had a session. :shock:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

batman wrote:Ohh..boys. To me are absent English beer :(
It has always surprised me that English ales are not better known worldwide. Some of them are truly special drinks, with all the subtleties of flavour that go with good wines.
24db

Post by 24db »

Spitfire has to be my favourite, but Marstons' is good as well (my dad was related to this brewing empire, so I guess I have a slightly sentimental reason to drink it)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Marstons gives me the S**** :oops: :cry:
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:Spitfire has to be my favourite, but Marstons' is good as well (my dad was related to this brewing empire, so I guess I have a slightly sentimental reason to drink it)
I purchased a couple of crates of Spitfire while in France. It really is a great pint and my session ale of choice.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:Spitfire has to be my favourite, but Marstons' is good as well (my dad was related to this brewing empire, so I guess I have a slightly sentimental reason to drink it)
I purchased a couple of crates of Spitfire while in France. It really is a great pint and my session ale of choice.
They're all my friends really: Pedigree, Spitfire, London Pride, Black Sheep - these are my regulars....
But my favourite is still Timothy Taylor 'Landlord'... especially in the summer with that lovely fruity, hoppy taste.
And for sentimental reasons, Old Speckled Hen - I grew up in the shadow of the Morland Brewery, and my Grandfather worked for the MG car company. Mmmmm.... the smell of the malt and hops in the morning on my way to school. Happy days :D