TD Live music at small venues

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD Live music at small venues

Post by 24db »

This will read as if I've gone off topic...but bare with me. Last night we saw Matt Berry (of the Mighty Boosh/Snuff Box and Garth Merengi's (sp?) Dark place fame), at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow (very much like the Water Rats Colin, only in better condition):

the Sound Check...note Matt's extensive Synth set up...one Korg MS10! you had to be there to appreciate the cover version he did of Ronnie Hazelhurst's theme tune to 'Sorry' followed by a rock version of 'Are you being Served' ;)

Matt Berry second from left (Excuse the c.rap camera phone photos)

Ok...so this got me thinking, how small a venue would you pay to see TD live at? on the plus side you can normally get a good view, and the sound is normally quite good, but things can be a bit rough and ready (as everybody who caught Jerome in London will remember). How much gear would they need?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I'd still go and see TD at the Water Rats or smaller venue,but the Water Rats needs a million tins of paint....ive been to quite a few gigs in small venue's and really enjoyed myself,but you usually get covered in beer :P
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:I'd still go and see TD at the Water Rats or smaller venue,but the Water Rats needs a million tins of paint....ive been to quite a few gigs in small venue's and really enjoyed myself,but you usually get covered in beer :P
you need to hold the pint harder then mate :) no seriously King Tut's was far better than the Water Rats, it might have been even smaller but for an hour set it was more than good enough. As we already know TD wanted to play at smaller venues during their 'planned' 2001 US tour 300-1300 seater venues, and from memory the 3? gigs they played in Spain in 2004 were very small indeed. I just think it might add a different aspect or appreciation of TD rather than always at larger venues. Having said that if TD always played at the Alte Oper I'd be as happy as Larry :)
timer

Post by timer »

Id much rather see TD and most bands in a small venue, remember seeing Queen at the Bristol Hippodrome in 79, then 3 years later at Milton Keynes Bowl, there just wasn't the intamacy at Milton Keynes. Both great shows though .was even worse seeing them at Knebworth ! :roll:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:I'd still go and see TD at the Water Rats or smaller venue,but the Water Rats needs a million tins of paint....ive been to quite a few gigs in small venue's and really enjoyed myself,but you usually get covered in beer :P
you need to hold the pint harder then mate :) no seriously King Tut's was far better than the Water Rats, it might have been even smaller but for an hour set it was more than good enough. As we already know TD wanted to play at smaller venues during their 'planned' 2001 US tour 300-1300 seater venues, and from memory the 3? gigs they played in Spain in 2004 were very small indeed. I just think it might add a different aspect or appreciation of TD rather than always at larger venues. Having said that if TD always played at the Alte Oper I'd be as happy as Larry :)
The Alte Oper is a wonderful building,mind you i was rather impressed with the Tempodrom,but neither of those are what i'd call small :wink:
Lets have TD live on Shepherds Bush Green in mid summer 8) :D
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Id much rather see TD and most bands in a small venue, remember seeing Queen at the Bristol Hippodrome in 79, then 3 years later at Milton Keynes Bowl, there just wasn't the intamacy at Milton Keynes. Both great shows though .was even worse seeing them at Knebworth ! :roll:
any recommendations Tim?
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Small venues are easier to get good sound at (as a rule).... Battersea Arts centre is quite a nice space (I've seen a few comedy gigs there). Also, although it's not so small, I really like the 'Roundhouse' in Camden Town.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
The Alte Oper is a wonderful building,mind you i was rather impressed with the Tempodrom,but neither of those are what i'd call small :wink:
I'm sure there are better venues than the SBE...although I should add that the sound is usually OK and you can normally see the stage ok
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:Id much rather see TD and most bands in a small venue, remember seeing Queen at the Bristol Hippodrome in 79, then 3 years later at Milton Keynes Bowl, there just wasn't the intamacy at Milton Keynes. Both great shows though .was even worse seeing them at Knebworth ! :roll:
any recommendations Tim?
Pilton (same village as hosts the Glastonbury Festival) working mens club !. Holds about 100 people at a squeeze !

Seriously, I have mentioned it a few times on this forum - Minarc Theatre in Cornwall , a stones throw from Lands ends, and ampitheatre built into a cliff face over looking the see, with great views of the Sunset .
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I know ive said this before but St David's Hall in Cardiff would be totally ideal for them... Ive seen Yes there on their orchestral tour,Jethro Tull twice amongst others........the acoustics are fantastic 8) :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: you need to hold the pint harder then mate :) no seriously King Tut's was far better than the Water Rats, it might have been even smaller but for an hour set it was more than good enough. As we already know TD wanted to play at smaller venues during their 'planned' 2001 US tour 300-1300 seater venues, and from memory the 3? gigs they played in Spain in 2004 were very small indeed. I just think it might add a different aspect or appreciation of TD rather than always at larger venues. Having said that if TD always played at the Alte Oper I'd be as happy as Larry :)
I'm sure there are better venues than the SBE...although I should add that the sound is usually OK and you can normally see the stage ok
I meant outside on the green Andy :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
any recommendations Tim?
Pilton (same village as hosts the Glastonbury Festival) working mens club !. Holds about 100 people at a squeeze !

Seriously, I have mentioned it a few times on this forum - Minarc Theatre in Cornwall , a stones throw from Lands ends, and ampitheatre built into a cliff face over looking the see, with great views of the Sunset .
right, I've seen that Cornish venue before...although 'outdoors' in the UK usually spells dodgy and probably wet. I could see TD playing at somewhere like the Spitz in London though, a small venue, perhaps over several nights. I can't remember if the Union Chapel is still open or if they've closed it...either way it was meant to be a very good venue
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: The Alte Oper is a wonderful building,mind you i was rather impressed with the Tempodrom,but neither of those are what i'd call small :wink:
I meant outside on the green Andy :arrow:
lol...you know what...that would be quite good :D
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:I know ive said this before but St David's Hall in Cardiff would be totally ideal for them... Ive seen Yes there on their orchestral tour,Jethro Tull twice amongst others........the acoustics are fantastic 8) :D
I like this venue as well, although I haven't been to it since 1990 Motorhead ! Maybe time for that collaboration - MotorDream/ TangerineHead . :lol:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:I know ive said this before but St David's Hall in Cardiff would be totally ideal for them... Ive seen Yes there on their orchestral tour,Jethro Tull twice amongst others........the acoustics are fantastic 8) :D
I like this venue as well, although I haven't been to it since 1990 Motorhead ! Maybe time for that collaboration - MotorDream/ TangerineHead . :lol:
That could prove very interesting :wink: Seriously tho this would be a spot on venue for TD within the city 8)