TANGS in the Guardian top 1000

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TANGS in the Guardian top 1000

Post by bigmoog »

from todays listing in the Guardian's top 1000 album listing

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra (1974)
This marked the point at which the Krautrock phenomenon went mainstream. Tangerine Dream had travelled from avant-garde beginnings to chart success with Phaedra. With its electronic soundscape of sequencers and synths, Phaedra is one of the most seductive ambient albums, and a precursor to techno and its offshoots.

:arrow:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/1000albums/ ... 98,00.html

BM
cantosis

Re: TANGS in the Guardian top 1000

Post by cantosis »

bigmoog wrote:from todays listing in the Guardian's top 1000 album listing

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra (1974)
This marked the point at which the Krautrock phenomenon went mainstream. Tangerine Dream had travelled from avant-garde beginnings to chart success with Phaedra. With its electronic soundscape of sequencers and synths, Phaedra is one of the most seductive ambient albums, and a precursor to techno and its offshoots.

The Guardian is an awfull pretentious rag, but its nice to hear Phaedra getting some reconistion. It is certainly my fave of the early albums by TD
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the whole listing makes interesting reading........ :D
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

bigmoog wrote:the whole listing makes interesting reading........ :D

whats number 1?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

well, its an a-z listing so there is no number 1.......

its their 1,000 albums you 'must' listen to before death.....

neu!, TD, kraftwerk....CAN all make an appearance....as well as some 90's techno/ambient
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:well, its an a-z listing so there is no number 1.......

its their 1,000 albums you 'must' listen to before death.....

neu!, TD, kraftwerk....CAN all make an appearance....as well as some 90's techno/ambient
Sounds very promising BM........i may just go against the grain today and buy the Guardian :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Excellent BM..............i will give this my attention 8)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

hopefully 76:14 makes the list
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

from the 'G' section

Global Communication
76:14 (1994)
The West Country duo Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard shunned song titles, lest they colour the listener's response. This unfathomably beautiful out-of-time masterpiece, informed equally by Brian Eno, David Sylvian, Detroit techno and the Cocteau Twins, could be a soundtrack to anything or nothing. Two awestruck fans, Pete and Katrina Lawrence, were inspired to found the Big Chill.

billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Nice to see Ulrich here:

Ulrich Schnauss
A Strangely Isolated Place (2003)
Berlin-based Schnauss almost sparked a shoegazing revival with his second album. He used to record as Ethereal 77, which sums him up: his widescreen music is lush and atmospheric; each track boasts a bunch of intertwining melodies. It's a consistently uplifting wall of sound.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

billythefish wrote:Nice to see Ulrich here:

Ulrich Schnauss
A Strangely Isolated Place (2003)
Berlin-based Schnauss almost sparked a shoegazing revival with his second album. He used to record as Ethereal 77, which sums him up: his widescreen music is lush and atmospheric; each track boasts a bunch of intertwining melodies. It's a consistently uplifting wall of sound.
A spot on description of a wonderful album IMHO 8)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

bigmoog wrote:from the 'G' section

Global Communication
76:14 (1994)
The West Country duo Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard shunned song titles, lest they colour the listener's response. This unfathomably beautiful out-of-time masterpiece, informed equally by Brian Eno, David Sylvian, Detroit techno and the Cocteau Twins, could be a soundtrack to anything or nothing. Two awestruck fans, Pete and Katrina Lawrence, were inspired to found the Big Chill.

nice one
24db

Post by 24db »

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra (1974)

BM
Nice one...bit of an obvious choice though...I wonder which rock journal they plundered? ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra (1974)

BM
Nice one...bit of an obvious choice though...I wonder which rock journal they plundered? ;)

yep, the premise according to the guardian, was to list 1000 albums...not necessarily the best or most obvious.... :arrow: