Interview with Chris Franke from 2001

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Michael66 wrote:Regarding his music, IMHO Chris Franke had one substantial creative moment post-TD, and that's "Frost Ruby" from "Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra" ... The rest, I wouldn't buy again.
Speaking as someone who owns 90+% of Franke's solo work (including soundtracks), I believe that virtually ALL of the soundtracks will be long forgotten in less than a generation. Unlike that of his TD career. That to me is a wasted career.
It depends how you look at his career. He did his part in creating the musical legacy of TD for 18 years and then went on to create a widely copied style of music scoring. Most composers wouldnt even dream of being able to say that on their death bed.

Not all of his scores are great, and not all will be remembered, but consider the greats like Morricone, how many scores of his will be forgotten in a generation ? how many of the people who rave about "The Mission" or "Cinema Paradiso" actually know about his more innovative early Italian Scores ?
Soundtracks are mostly just that , rarely remembered outside the film, and usually die with it, especially TV film soundtracks.

His scoring career may have been wasted if he hadnt got any commissions
but in fact he did lots, earnt his money, has a big house in the Hollywood Hills because of it (I believe it used to be Vincent Pryce's house) has a scoring CV to turn most composers green with envy (how many of the countless media composers get to write for a hugely successful sci-fi series alone???) , and also created a style that was/and still is copied today around the world on countless Documentaries/Tv Films etc again ..how many composers get to say their style has been copied everywhere ???

Its wasted in your view (and the few quotes you listed from the "Vast(?) Majority), because you would rather he had done some more of what you like, so you miss the important parts of what he has done to make his scoring career very successful.

A career in soundtracks is not all about creating something that will live on outside the film for an eternity. Read what Edgar says about writing for film, its all about leaving the ego behind and writing what the scene needs rather than what you think people might like in 20 years time.

Very few people are ever part of creating a music world legend like TD, its impossible to compare the two careers side by side.
Very good post IMHO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

rattymouse wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I'm listening to Destination Berlin on CD :D 8)

:!: :arrow:
I listened to that this weekend. Never understood why people hate that album so much. To me DB has a nice Haslinger feel to it.
I agree, it's a very upbeat album with lots of jazzy bass lines, strong themes, and very well structured melodies.... never boring.

:!: :arrow:
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Michael66 wrote:Regarding his music, IMHO Chris Franke had one substantial creative moment post-TD, and that's "Frost Ruby" from "Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra" ... The rest, I wouldn't buy again.
Speaking as someone who owns 90+% of Franke's solo work (including soundtracks), I believe that virtually ALL of the soundtracks will be long forgotten in less than a generation. Unlike that of his TD career. That to me is a wasted career.
It depends how you look at his career. He did his part in creating the musical legacy of TD for 18 years and then went on to create a widely copied style of music scoring. Most composers wouldnt even dream of being able to say that on their death bed.

and also created a style that was/and still is copied today around the world on countless Documentaries/Tv Films etc again ..how many composers get to say their style has been copied everywhere ???

I dont know enough about the soundtrack process to understand how many people copy Franke's recording style. The end result is all that matters to me and having heard many, many of his soundtracks, I can state that they simply do not sound very different from any other anonymous soundtrack that I hear on TV or 3rd rate movies all the time. Nothing strikes me as being very innovative either in composition, sounds, or recording quality. It is all exceedingly bland and bereft of any emotional content. Certainly, unlike most TD soundtracks, I cannot listen to them much by themselves. Perhaps they work better with the movies. But since they are released on CD, solo listening is also how I judge them.

A few of the Babylon 5 discs were OK. They were how I started buying Franke's soundtracks. I accumulated many of the other soundtracks and never came across one that was even remotely as good as Babylon 5 (which was not a very high bar to meet).
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

As a completist for all things TD, I at one point owned all of Franke's releases but ended up eBaying every one of them with the exception of PCH, the live one and The Celestine Prophecy - which certainly had its share of ups and downs (the later, courtesy of some seriously cheesy new-agey/world music moments.)
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Beaubourg wrote:As a completist for all things TD, I at one point owned all of Franke's releases but ended up eBaying every one of them with the exception of PCH, the live one and The Celestine Prophecy - which certainly had its share of ups and downs (the later, courtesy of some seriously cheesy new-agey/world music moments.)
Did you get any money for Franke's soundtracks? I note that on Amazon.com, most of his soundtracks were sold used for $1 or less. I picked up a couple of them for an astonishing $0.01!! Looking at his albums today, the prices are a little higher, in the $3-4 range for the most part.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

rattymouse wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:As a completist for all things TD, I at one point owned all of Franke's releases but ended up eBaying every one of them with the exception of PCH, the live one and The Celestine Prophecy - which certainly had its share of ups and downs (the later, courtesy of some seriously cheesy new-agey/world music moments.)
Did you get any money for Franke's soundtracks? I note that on Amazon.com, most of his soundtracks were sold used for $1 or less. I picked up a couple of them for an astonishing $0.01!! Looking at his albums today, the prices are a little higher, in the $3-4 range for the most part.
I don't recall the amount (I couldn't complain considering I got them all for free as promos).

I noticed recently, too, that many of his albums are now/finally available on iTunes.
JD

Post by JD »

"I dont know enough about the soundtrack process to understand how many people copy Franke's recording style."

hmm.... you dont know enough about the soundtrack process yet feel confident enough in light of this fact to label a soundtrack composers career as "wasted" ?

"The end result is all that matters to me and having heard many, many of his soundtracks, I can state that they simply do not sound very different from any other anonymous soundtrack that I hear on TV or 3rd rate movies all the time."

that maybe because a lot of these other soundtracks you're hearing still copy his style, but now you're stating its your opinion then it takes a whole new meaning from previous messages. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even though opinions of individual fans do not decide if a career can be considered worthwhile or wasted, especially when its a career they dont really understand.......wouldnt you agree ?

"Nothing strikes me as being very innovative either in composition, sounds, or recording quality. It is all exceedingly bland and bereft of any emotional content. Certainly, unlike most TD soundtracks, I cannot listen to them much by themselves. Perhaps they work better with the movies. But since they are released on CD, solo listening is also how I judge them.

Well TD soundtracks were different in that they were often told to provide tracks ...as normal, which would then be slotted into the film.Franke works the normal way of writing to picture,so you're hearing specific musical ideas that are meant to go with the onscreen action, although he did turn the first B5 CD into a kind of suite made up of many elements from the series.

"A few of the Babylon 5 discs were OK. They were how I started buying Franke's soundtracks. I accumulated many of the other soundtracks and never came across one that was even remotely as good as Babylon 5 (which was not a very high bar to meet)"

I respect your opinion as an individual about not liking is music.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:Image

Chris from a few years back when he did that opera thingy :)
There's a short video clip of Chris Franke on one of the more recent B5 releases where he looks more than a little chubby around the face. Of the two I'd say Edgar is looking better.
Maybe he's been on the Botox & plastic surgery he's in the right place after all :shock:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
timer

Post by timer »

Is it over yet ? :roll:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

timer wrote:Is it over yet ? :roll:
I'm safe....... I've propped a door up against the wall and whitwashed the windows. :wink:
JD

Post by JD »

Chris Monk wrote:
I'm safe....... I've propped a door up against the wall and whitwashed the windows. :wink:
I'm sorry if it got bit too heated on here, it gets tiring for me too when people become confrontational because they cant justify what they write. Anyway ..... :)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Some people can't help themselves i value everyones opinion even if it is different to mine but that's just the way i've been brought to respect other peoples views.

alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Looks like work in progress swelling hasn't gone down yet !!!! :roll:

Looks like something out of spitting image :shock:

Scorpion

Interview with Chris Franke from 2001

Post by Scorpion »

IMHO Neither Froese nor Franke have developed in an interesting way since separating. Yes, there has been some good stuff but its very rare to my ears. They may not get on any more (I wonder if they truly ever did) but when they worked together, even at a distance, they were both essential ingredients to something very special.

Time changes everybody though. Neither of them have sold out - theyve both gone down different roads.
cantosis

Re: Interview with Chris Franke from 2001

Post by cantosis »

Scorpion wrote:IMHO Neither Froese nor Franke have developed in an interesting way since separating. Yes, there has been some good stuff but its very rare to my ears. They may not get on any more (I wonder if they truly ever did) but when they worked together, even at a distance, they were both essential ingredients to something very special.

Time changes everybody though. Neither of them have sold out - theyve both gone down different roads.
Welcome to the forum Scorpion, hopefully your stay around longer then most new people who register here.