The Chris Franke/Hans Zimmer connection

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Chris Franke/Hans Zimmer connection

Post by Jon »

In a Keyboard Magazine interview with Zimmer from around 1998, there is a picture of his studio where there is an ancient analog synth that Zimmer had received from Chris Franke.

Does anyone know about this connection? I suppose Zimmer got this synth around the mid 90s sometime. A pity that Franke and Zimmer never collaborated on a project.

Zimmer also knows Paul Haslinger through working in Hollywood, by the way.
24db

Re: The Chris Franke/Hans Zimmer connection

Post by 24db »

Jon wrote:In a Keyboard Magazine interview with Zimmer from around 1998, there is a picture of his studio where there is an ancient analog synth that Zimmer had received from Chris Franke.

Does anyone know about this connection? I suppose Zimmer got this synth around the mid 90s sometime. A pity that Franke and Zimmer never collaborated on a project.

Zimmer also knows Paul Haslinger through working in Hollywood, by the way.
Jon, according to Electronics and Music Maker in the early 80's Chris and Hans have known eachother for years, the article goes on to say that Hans bought CFs/TD's Big Moog (much earlier than you thought...you'll notice that TD didn't have their Big Moog during the 81/82 tours). That synth later appeared in the Buggles video 'Video killed the Radio Star', some years later Hans did a gig at the Planeterium in London (with Warren Cann of Ultravox) under the title of Helden (not to be confused with the French group Heldon)...with the same synth

I have an audio interview with Chris (circa 1991-92) where he says that Hans helped him with his move to Hollywood and his application for a Green card etc etc.

Hans has a huge WALL of Moog etc modulars built into his studio...he designed it to look like an electronic Brothel (you'd have to see it, there are photos of it online)

andy
Jon

Post by Jon »

Interesting!

I had no idea that Zimmer bought synths from TD in the early 80s. Kind of makes sense that they re-connected in the early 90s though, when both went to Hollywood.

I wonder if Hans knows Edgar and Schmoelling too.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Interesting studio(s) tour on Youtube... Everything looks so laid back there.