Favourite TD Members Solo Output

Which current or previous TD member do you think has produced the best solo material?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Edgar Froese
69%
Johannes Schmoelling
15%
Chris Franke
4%
Paul Haslinger
No votes
Peter Baumann
No votes
Jerome Froese
12%

Total votes: 26

ant
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Favourite TD Members Solo Output

Post by ant »

:D OK, which current or previous TD member do you think has produced the best solo material? :D
Biggus Dickus
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Edgar's "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale" for me :arrow: Totally sublime album 8) although all ex members have released some very good albums,EIMP is without doubt my personal favorite.........On a consistent basis EF would still be my favorite Jerome's "Neptunes" would run very close with JS and PB the next :arrow:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

ant, thats a ridiculously hard question

My first thought is Edgar, then I remember the Stunning 'Romance 76'

give me a while and I will think more (just have to go get my anorak :wink: )
...The wise.....are silent.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM writes in plain, non sycophantic english with gibberish free prose.

I think it's a difficult question, who has produced the best solo output?

Lets look at my opinion.

Edgar's release of solo album after solo album, running parallel roughly to the main Tangerine Dream output is an inspiring dynamic.

I have always equated EIMP as the companion piece to Rubycon (and often listen to it as such) and Aqua is one of my all time favourite records (for many reasons, some nostalgic, some musical and artistic). Macular Transfer is an underated classic, Ages a flawed gem, Pinnacles a pointer to 80's TD and is also overlooked...other releases IMHO are varied in quality and status, fair to middling etc.

But overall, Edgar's solo output 'for me' is deeply satisfying electronic music, which extends TD's 'reach' into legend.

Johannes Schmoelling : I will be honest to admit that while I loved his work within TD, his solo work does not appear on my radar, so I cant comment (although Im playing catch up)

Chris Franke : I cant really bring myself to comment now, so disappointing is the utter utter silence in real music since both 1987 and then PCH. Its a waste of time analysing any of Chris's solo output as for me its just ephemeral muzak (apart from PCH, which I enjoy even now)

Paul H : see JS

Peter Baumann : When Romance 76 was released, I was so shocked....it was such a surprise. Really. Over the years I have become Romance 76's biggest fan. Its a hugely overlooked masterpiece, true and pure. Its such a powerfully dark and gothic classical piece that it can be listened to as a Concerto, a Concerto for Sequencer, Mellotron and Orchestra (which makes it a symphony).....Its my favourite (solo) electronic music album of all time. Every TD fan of any era should at least try listen into the music of R76 to hear the surprising fact that Peter was TD in the 70's as much or more so than Edgar or Chris!

Transharmonic Nights is superb, dated TDesque sequencer magic and for me it is an essential recording.

Jerome Froese : Neptunes is one fantastic piece of music, end to end, and as Jerome's solo career is really growing I cant comment definitively until I have listened to Shiver Me Timbers.

so, who did I vote for?

Edgar Froese.

as ever the let the music speak for itself
...The wise.....are silent.....
Jollyhawker

Post by Jollyhawker »

Without a doubt - EDGAR! 8)
"Lives of great men all remind us that we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time"
ant

Post by ant »

:) Only a few votes so far but it is interesting that there are none for JS. I, personally, think his solo albums are brilliant. So unique and inventive. However with Edgar in the frame he can only, I suppose, come second (IMO). Maybe I should take Edgar off and then see who comes top!! :D
Biggus Dickus
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Well, I've just voted for JS - but it was a tough decision...

IMHO, JS has hardly produced a duff track in everything he's released. There is only one album I rarely listen to - Recycle or Die, but other than this, his solos seem to me to be the most consistently good. Couple this with Wuivend Reit, Zoo of Tranquillity and White Out that rank as some of my all-time favourite albums by anyone, anywhere, any time, and that is my vote.

I adore Edgar's late '70s to mid '80s works, together with more recent ones such as Dalinetopia - but there are other albums I have very little time for, particularly the Ambient Highways series. He comes an extremely close second for me.

Peter Baumann's Romance '76 and Transharmonic Nights bump him to third place - but I have little time for Repeat Repeat or later...

Paul Haslinger would have been third a few years ago, but I fear his albums have dated rather too much recently and I rarely listen to them these days.

Finally, Chris Franke... well, he has produced one or two good to average releases. More like Enchanted Nature or Celestine Prophecy would have ranked him higher, but the constant near nearly as good orchestral sound-tracks have dropped him almost completely off my radar.

All IMHO of course... good poll BTW
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I voted Jerome. Precooked Munchies promises really good for the future, and the vote has been cast, in order to give him some applause, to carry on his good work.

Here's to the future masterpieces from Jerome!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

bigmoog wrote:ant, thats a ridiculously hard question
You're not wrong there BM. I finally plumped for Edgar but Johannes has to be a very close second, with the others trailing some way behind.

I suspect that Edgar just edged it because he's produced more CDs over the years than Johannes.
timer

Post by timer »

For consistancy its got to EF for me.
24db

Post by 24db »

As a body of work: Johannes Schmoelling
As the most played album at my gaff: Jerome Froese

Enjoyment over dogma...so Jerome wins! ;)
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I’m Still Fan of Jerome Froese.

:arrow:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢

Post by boruncy »

Yes indeed I follow BigMoog superb comments.

It just has to be EF! :wink:
Ode To Granny A
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

It has to be Edgar. Ive enjoyed some of the JF, JS and PB releases but i can live without them. No edgar is like no oxygen, unthinkable !!!
Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy »

For me it's definitely Edgar Froese! He's the pioneer, the father of invention! He's the Mastermind behind this extraordinary music, there would be no JS, no PB, no CF, no JF etc. without him and his invention of electronic dream music. EF's solo stuff is a testimony of his spirituality - magical compositions being forever young and timeless. This is true art!
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. OSCAR WILDE