Steve Jolliffe on live performances

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

I had a discussion with the wife's cousin the other night and it turns out he knows Steve (and his brother) quite well. We chatted about all things Tangerine for most of the evening!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Re: Steve Jolliffe on live performances

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:What constitutes a good live performance in your opinion? What’s your approach to performing on stage?

Live performance is a tricky one for a composer, especially when most of your work is created through improvisation and careful editing. I sometimes feel it would be better to sit with the audience and enjoy listening to a polished sound system. Playing along to preprogrammed sequencers or watching people pretending to turn knobs to a backing track leaves me cold. To really capture the magic it needs to be a one off with no preconcieved crutches. I intend my next concert to be a completely live affair.

hmmm?
Interesting, Steve... I hope you would do the warm-up gig at frankfurt alte oper!

After the conversation i had with Steve prior to the SBE 05 gig i would find it highly unlikely that would happen :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

Steve's still the most talented musician to have been in TD (if we're talking about pure technique).
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Steve's still the most talented musician to have been in TD (if we're talking about pure technique).
Im sure the others would have something to say about that :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:Steve's still the most talented musician to have been in TD (if we're talking about pure technique).
Im sure the others would have something to say about that :wink:
can't hear them! ;) no obviously Paul Haslinger was very good as well.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I will say one thing..............i like Steve's music very much 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I think Steve had the broadest range of skills. There are very few multi-instrumentalists like him - I reckon he could pretty much play every instrument in the orchestra!

I reckon Johannes and Paul may have had the edge on compositional and piano playing skills, given their backgrounds in classical music.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
la sagesse du destin

Post by la sagesse du destin »

I like the album "Poland" from Steve very well (and not only for the 1967 TD excerpt)!!

Charles
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

the day before the SBE 2005 gig, I visited 2nd hand shops in Notting Hill, where I bought some really good TD/PB/KS vinyls and cd's. I also saw an album by Steve Joliffe in the new age section. I believe it was from 1983.

At the gig I saw this Swedish guy (Nicklas Lundström) who also was interviewed for the DVD. He had a plastic bag from the same 2nd hand chain, and from the one side I could see the Mirage LP (would be cool to own that) and the excactly same Joliffe album, when he put the bag into the other hand...

Could be cool to own that as well, I've never seen a Joliffe album ever since... :cry:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

billythefish wrote:I think Steve had the broadest range of skills. There are very few multi-instrumentalists like him - I reckon he could pretty much play every instrument in the orchestra!

I reckon Johannes and Paul may have had the edge on compositional and piano playing skills, given their backgrounds in classical music.
A real nice guy as well Stephen :arrow: 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

epsilon75 wrote:
billythefish wrote:I think Steve had the broadest range of skills. There are very few multi-instrumentalists like him - I reckon he could pretty much play every instrument in the orchestra!

Totally agree - he puts you at ease straight away - as if you had always known him.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

billythefish wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

Totally agree - he puts you at ease straight away - as if you had always known him.
At the pub prior to the SBE 05 gig i was trying to get photos with Steve but my camera kept going off due to the batteries needing charging.....i went and looked for a shop,purchased some and when i got back to the pub although Steve was busy chatting he still took the time for the photos yet again............top fella
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

epsilon75 wrote:Japanese butterfly a great album on Nada Pulse,has that been re-issued on CD by chance :?:

It was issued on CD as THE JAPANESE WAY. The album and track titles were changed for legal reasons, but it's the same music. Contact Horizon- there still may be a few copies around.
Hobo

Re: Steve Jolliffe on live performances

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:What constitutes a good live performance in your opinion? What’s your approach to performing on stage?

Live performance is a tricky one for a composer, especially when most of your work is created through improvisation and careful editing. I sometimes feel it would be better to sit with the audience and enjoy listening to a polished sound system. Playing along to preprogrammed sequencers or watching people pretending to turn knobs to a backing track leaves me cold. To really capture the magic it needs to be a one off with no preconcieved crutches. I intend my next concert to be a completely live affair.

hmmm?

This debate seems endless to me. The bottom line is, do you find their performances entertaining and worthy of the ticket price. For me, the answer is a resounding yes, but I appreciate others don't feel the same way. We are all free to make our own choice.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

TheXFactor wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Japanese butterfly a great album on Nada Pulse,has that been re-issued on CD by chance :?:

It was issued on CD as THE JAPANESE WAY. The album and track titles were changed for legal reasons, but it's the same music. Contact Horizon- there still may be a few copies around.
Thanks for that XFactor :wink: