Steve Jolliffe on live performances

EDWEIRDO
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by EDWEIRDO »

bigmoog wrote:
EDWEIRDO wrote:
24db wrote: blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
I was obviously just a child back then Andy :wink: Pulse: 'music for the interior life'.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember who else were there. Paul Nagle played live. Chris And Cosey has a stall :!: and I remember speaking to the lads from Altres. SJ was amazed I had travelled from Glasgow and told me he had family here.

aha, chris and cosey, CTI ....velly awesome body of work

i also like coil :arrow:
Did you ever receive the WE ARE CREOSOTE discs BM?
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

24db wrote:
EDWEIRDO wrote:
24db wrote: blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
I was obviously just a child back then Andy :wink: Pulse: 'music for the interior life'.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember who else were there. Paul Nagle played live. Chris And Cosey has a stall :!: and I remember speaking to the lads from Altres. SJ was amazed I had travelled from Glasgow and told me he had family here.
Ah that makes sense...the relatives bit.

I think I threw out my copy of E&MM years ago that covered that concert (probably a good job really as I kept all the other c.rap :D), I vaguely remember that Inkey$ audio magazine covered it as well. They certainly had a nice interview with Dave Lawrence from Pulse records.
I think Inkeys organised/sponsored the event. I used to have a t-shirt from the festival and I'm sure Inkeys were on it.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

ed, yes got thee discs, i sent thee an email of thanks and admiration

very great in thee small

excellent
...The wise.....are silent.....
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

bigmoog wrote:ed, yes got thee discs, i sent thee an email of thanks and admiration

very great in thee small

excellent
Cheers BM, glad you enjoyed!! I must get my e-mails sorted out, methinks the filter is a tad over-sensitive.

I'll send you a copy of our 3rd creation when completed :wink:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

cheers ed

and i will send you ruby_CON (extension under going planning dept approval)

and thee next disk, forced mah jong (with my homage to cloudburst flight, played on a bontempi..)
...The wise.....are silent.....
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

I thought Ashra headlined that concert not Neuronium? Unfortunately I've disposed of my extremely fashionable t-shirt that listed all the bands on the back.

I went to a couple of Electronica's in the 80's and unfortunately line ups have merged, I remember Ian Boddy playing twice, the second time competing with the local taxi firm on the PA, Mark Shreeve, Chris and Cosey (quite a contrast to the other acts but quality nonetheless), Stevo (often wondered if this is the same guy who posts on other forums), Wavestar, Steve Jolliffe (definitely supported Ashra and was superb).

In those days live EM seemed to have quite a healthy following - Ashra filled the Octagon in Sheffield. Not sure that would happen these days, went to see Ian Boddy's last SMD gig and only about 50 people turned up - a great shame as he was excellent!
24db

Post by 24db »

Six By Nine wrote:I thought Ashra headlined that concert not Neuronium? Unfortunately I've disposed of my extremely fashionable t-shirt that listed all the bands on the back.

I went to a couple of Electronica's in the 80's and unfortunately line ups have merged, I remember Ian Boddy playing twice, the second time competing with the local taxi firm on the PA, Mark Shreeve, Chris and Cosey (quite a contrast to the other acts but quality nonetheless), Stevo (often wondered if this is the same guy who posts on other forums), Wavestar, Steve Jolliffe (definitely supported Ashra and was superb).

In those days live EM seemed to have quite a healthy following - Ashra filled the Octagon in Sheffield. Not sure that would happen these days, went to see Ian Boddy's last SMD gig and only about 50 people turned up - a great shame as he was excellent!
and Ian is a big EM name...shocking
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Six By Nine wrote:I thought Ashra headlined that concert not Neuronium? Unfortunately I've disposed of my extremely fashionable t-shirt that listed all the bands on the back.

I agree Andy,Ian Boddy is a top class artist :? :roll: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
EDWEIRDO wrote:I saw Steve Jollife live at a UK Electronica Festival in Sheffield, in 1984 or thereabouts - he was excellent, and if memory serves me well he played some stuff from the Japanese Butterfly album . Also on the bill were Neuronium and a stupendous set by Mark Shreeve.
blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
Japanese butterfly a great album on Nada Pulse,has that been re-issued on CD by chance :?:
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
EDWEIRDO wrote:I saw Steve Jollife live at a UK Electronica Festival in Sheffield, in 1984 or thereabouts - he was excellent, and if memory serves me well he played some stuff from the Japanese Butterfly album . Also on the bill were Neuronium and a stupendous set by Mark Shreeve.
blimey that was some time ago mate. That's when Steve was still on the Pulse label...happy days
Japanese butterfly a great album on Nada Pulse,has that been re-issued on CD by chance :?:
I hope so, Colin. I gave my vinyl copy out on loan and never saw it again :cry:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Heres what available on Steve from Horizon records,sadly no Japanese Butterfly :roll:

http://www.hmnetwork.com/
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

I agree Andy,Ian Boddy is a top class artist :? :roll: :arrow:
IMHO one of the few people in the UK producing music that's interesting...and he only gets 50 people turn up?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Yes its hard to believe Andy,a performer of his calibre should be having healthy crowds at his concerts..............But i think these attendances go throughout EM on a whole,very very strange
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:Yes its hard to believe Andy,a performer of his calibre should be having healthy crowds at his concerts..............But i think these attendances go throughout EM on a whole,very very strange
Sad, but true.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Pertou

Re: Steve Jolliffe on live performances

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:What constitutes a good live performance in your opinion? What’s your approach to performing on stage?

Live performance is a tricky one for a composer, especially when most of your work is created through improvisation and careful editing. I sometimes feel it would be better to sit with the audience and enjoy listening to a polished sound system. Playing along to preprogrammed sequencers or watching people pretending to turn knobs to a backing track leaves me cold. To really capture the magic it needs to be a one off with no preconcieved crutches. I intend my next concert to be a completely live affair.

hmmm?
Interesting, Steve... I hope you would do the warm-up gig at frankfurt alte oper!