td of the past and today

trane
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

td of the past and today

Post by trane »

i do not know how much 'difference' one may find between the muisc of td of the '70-'80s and that of today, but at least for me there is quite a marked one. here i can't help but agree almost perfectly with what johannes schmoelling said about td's today music when categorising it as 'soft pop music'. really, listening to their above referred 'old' albums there is true quality arising from spiritual, mental and emotional contents, perfectly reflected in the music they produced. however, comparing those to what they produce now there i can sense only melodic/emotional contents dressed in somewhat trendy clothes :( i of course am not saying i KNOW what they did years back along with what they do today, only i feel the then-inherent gestalt is missing...
save the trees, eat beavers :-D
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Have you heard Springtime In Nagasaki, or Sleeping Watches Snoring In Silence? If not, give them a go, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a massive fan of Virgin Years TD, but IMO these latest TD releases are superb and hark back to the "good old days"
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

'for me' the inner message of TD's music is still there, it's a horizontal line that started on sept 29th 1967 and it's still going almost 40 years later (it'll sound like BS...but I can hear it in the music, for me TD's music doesn't rely on any technology: old or new, it's music made by people and not by the machines). I know some people don't like the newer stuff, but IMHO 'some of them' like only a small spectrum of what is possible in EM and then want to hear that again and again for the rest of their lives (that's their taste...not mine).

My favourite TD album is Ricochet, but do I listen regularly? NO! I know every second of it, I don't want to search for music that reminds me of the past, I want to hear new stuff, be it TD, Sigur Ros, Ulrich Schnauss, Jeromes latest album etc etc. When TD 'finally' hang up their jack plugs, well then it'll be the time to go back and re-listen to their old stuff more, until then the train moves forward.

Btw feel free to post where Johannes said that, I'd love to read it (it sounds more like a Conrad Schnitzler quote to me).
This is the same guy who admires Edgar for always trying something new
Last edited by 24db on Sat May 12, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trane

Post by trane »

no, hobo, not as yet. i will however take your words and find a place where i could give those a listen, though i must say i am a bit sceptic judging from the later released 'td albums' of the '70-'80s. i when spotted them in the shops ran to buy them without actually listening to a second and when got home and heard them (e.g. 220 volts) got quite depressed... also, i then got the feeling that only then did i grow to understand why no more material had been printed by virgin of the time
24db

Post by 24db »

trane wrote:no, hobo, not as yet. i will however take your words and find a place where i could give those a listen, though i must say i am a bit sceptic judging from the later released 'td albums' of the '70-'80s. i when spotted them in the shops ran to buy them without actually listening to a second and when got home and heard them (e.g. 220 volts) got quite depressed... also, i then got the feeling that only then did i grow to understand why no more material had been printed by virgin of the time
Trane. always play and enjoy whatever you like! some of the newer TD stuff you might like, but chances are they'll be other groups you'd like more.

I'd recommend Node, for me they're the only group that admitted they were influenced by TD and tried to sound different.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
trane wrote:no, hobo, not as yet. i will however take your words and find a place where i could give those a listen, though i must say i am a bit sceptic judging from the later released 'td albums' of the '70-'80s. i when spotted them in the shops ran to buy them without actually listening to a second and when got home and heard them (e.g. 220 volts) got quite depressed... also, i then got the feeling that only then did i grow to understand why no more material had been printed by virgin of the time
Trane. always play and enjoy whatever you like! some of the newer TD stuff you might like, but chances are they'll be other groups you'd like more.

I'd recommend Node, for me they're the only group that admitted they were influenced by TD and tried to sound different.
I'd add Free System Projekt in that. You can hear the TD influence, but they steer clear of being TD clones.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
trane

Post by trane »

dear 24dB, it's great you still find their music involving and, actually, this is why i started this topic, namely, to have people's opinions on td's past and recent activities concerning music. however, 'disliking' their today music does not necessarily mean that one is not open-eared enough to find new and challenging music. i myself listen to quite a wide range of music of today, ranging from e.g. antenna (really pop, from australia) to arvo part. BUT in this kind of music td started i still need content, as said before, which for me is not present in their 'new' music.
actually, my favourite td album is Ricochet, too :lol:
the source of schmoelling's statement is here in the forum, i do remember reading it in some of the threads, but forgive me i do not remember in which one :(

Post by 24db »

trane wrote:dear 24dB, it's great you still find their music involving and, actually, this is why i started this topic, namely, to have people's opinions on td's past and recent activities concerning music. however, 'disliking' their today music does not necessarily mean that one is not open-eared enough to find new and challenging music. i myself listen to quite a wide range of music of today, ranging from e.g. antenna (really pop, from australia) to arvo part. BUT in this kind of music td started i still need content, as said before, which for me is not present in their 'new' music.
actually, my favourite td album is Ricochet, too :lol:
the source of schmoelling's statement is here in the forum, i do remember reading it in some of the threads, but forgive me i do not remember in which one :(
Trane mate, I wasn't suggesting for a second that you or anybody else wasn't open minded (hence the 'for me' comment in my reply). My taste in music is just that...mine, I never impose my opinions on others either (although....I always have an opinion ;))

Honestly that sounds more like Conrad to me...He said it was 'Soft Music' that went on and on until he made him sick. Bless him :D

mind you I'm not expert...so I could be wrong
trane

Post by trane »

24dB, i did not take it personal, be sure :lol: no, i just wanted to note 'disliking' something does not involve restrictive approach to anything, it is just a personal 'trait'. i guess, this is where both of us' opinions coincide, ain't them?
trane

Post by trane »

also, you are right, i did find the reference and it was schnitzler, not schmoelling - sorry :( you know, these german names, all starting with 'sch' :lol:
24db

Post by 24db »

trane wrote:24dB, i did not take it personal, be sure :lol: no, i just wanted to note 'disliking' something does not involve restrictive approach to anything, it is just a personal 'trait'. i guess, this is where both of us' opinions coincide, ain't them?
I agree, although, like music there are no absolutes...therefore people can be open minded about other music, as much as people can be small minded about TD's...and Visa Versa. It's just music, you cannot analyse exactly why certain frequencies and tempos excite or bore us, it's a completely personal thing. Music 'should' be enjoyed, it's as simple or a complex as you make it.

Have a look for Node, I think you'd like their self titled album (some people describe it as a more Industrial sound compared with TD, but I just think it's great ;))
24db

Post by 24db »

trane wrote:also, you are right, i did find the reference and it was schnitzler, not schmoelling - sorry :( you know, these german names, all starting with 'sch' :lol:
no problem, it just didn't sound like Johannes, he's still friends with Edgar afterall.

I guess I'll be having the same problem with german words when I'm in Frankfurt in October..trying to order some food :D or trying to find the station ;)
trane

Post by trane »

okay, i will, thanx :) by the way, can't you suggest a place to listen to some minutes into their music? i tried google but it showed only sites from where i could buy it
trane

Post by trane »

"I guess I'll be having the same problem with german words when I'm in Frankfurt in October..trying to order some food or trying to find the station"

you will still be in a much easier situation as if coming to hungary and trying the same in our language... i know i speak it every day :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:'for me' the inner message of TD's music is still there, it's a horizontal line that started on sept 29th 1967 and it's still going almost 40 years later (it'll sound like BS...but I can hear it in the music, for me TD's music doesn't rely on any technology: old or new, it's music made by people and not by the machines). I know some people don't like the newer stuff, but IMHO 'some of them' like only a small spectrum of what is possible in EM and then want to hear that again and again for the rest of their lives (that's their taste...not mine).

My favourite TD album is Ricochet, but do I listen regularly? NO! I know every second of it, I don't want to search for music that reminds me of the past, I want to hear new stuff, be it TD, Sigur Ros, Ulrich Schnauss, Jeromes latest album etc etc. When TD 'finally' hang up their jack plugs, well then it'll be the time to go back and re-listen to their old stuff more, until then the train moves forward.

Btw feel free to post where Johannes said that, I'd love to read it (it sounds more like a Conrad Schnitzler quote to me).
This is the same guy who admires Edgar for always trying something new
Spot on the money again Andy. I too see TD's progress as fairly linear. Obviously they have swerved a few times in different directions but there is still a central theme that runs through everything that is fundamentally TD. Can't say for sure what that central theme is but I suspect it's something to do with writing good innovative music with out getting too hung-up on the technology.

I hopped on board the TD juggernaut back in 1975 and it's been an odd but very enjoyable sort of journey ever since. I've been to lots of strange places I didn't expect to go but have never been disappointed or felt like jumping ship. Of course there were places I liked more than others but we haven't been to any slums or red light districts yet.