PETER BAUMANN - MACHINES OF DESIRE

32 years + counting
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

PETER BAUMANN - MACHINES OF DESIRE

Post by 32 years + counting »

I never thought the day would come that I'd hold a new Peter Baumann album in my hands!

And yet here it is, after something like 23 years.

Having listened 5 or 6 times now, I think it's fair to say it's not quite up to the variety, beauty and quality of ROMANCE or NIGHTS, but it knocks the spots off REPEAT, STRANGERS and the lost BLUE ROOM project, and it's all instrumental.

Peter's classic 'lonely' sound design, minimalism and sparse arrangements abound, and, yes, there are some decent sequencer wig-outs to get your teeth into!

Whilst the atmospheric elements are great, for me what it lacks somewhat is strong melody. I feel I'm hearing a treasured artist finding his feet again after a very long time. That said, it's a very fine effort, and well worth adding to your collection.

Apparently another album is already in the works. I suspect that's when he'll nail it dead centre.

I'm just so delighted to have him back in the fold. What a treat!
Steve C

Re: PETER BAUMANN - MACHINES OF DESIRE

Post by Steve C »

32 years + counting wrote:I never thought the day would come that I'd hold a new Peter Baumann album in my hands!

And yet here it is, after something like 23 years.

Having listened 5 or 6 times now, I think it's fair to say it's not quite up to the variety, beauty and quality of ROMANCE or NIGHTS, but it knocks the spots off REPEAT, STRANGERS and the lost BLUE ROOM project, and it's all instrumental.

Peter's classic 'lonely' sound design, minimalism and sparse arrangements abound, and, yes, there are some decent sequencer wig-outs to get your teeth into!

Whilst the atmospheric elements are great, for me what it lacks somewhat is strong melody. I feel I'm hearing a treasured artist finding his feet again after a very long time. That said, it's a very fine effort, and well worth adding to your collection.

Apparently another album is already in the works. I suspect that's when he'll nail it dead centre.

I'm just so delighted to have him back in the fold. What a treat!
I agree with your comments completely. I'm also at a loss to understand the apparent lack of interest from the Forum in this landmark release.
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

I recently purchased MOD about a month ago and gave it a listen or two and, sadly, I am not impressed.

It's certainly something DIFFERENT, but I feel it is inferior to most of Peter's previous releases (with the exception of maybe REPEAT, REPEAT.....truly awful).

I was expecting more melody, more FEELING, but what I came away with was mainly just SOUNDS; interesting sounds, yes, but just SOUNDS.

Maybe my mood was off or I was having a bad day when I listened. Maybe I need to give this one another go.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:I recently purchased MOD about a month ago and gave it a listen or two and, sadly, I am not impressed.

It's certainly something DIFFERENT, but I feel it is inferior to most of Peter's previous releases (with the exception of maybe REPEAT, REPEAT.....truly awful).

I was expecting more melody, more FEELING, but what I came away with was mainly just SOUNDS; interesting sounds, yes, but just SOUNDS.

Maybe my mood was off or I was having a bad day when I listened. Maybe I need to give this one another go.
I know what you mean - it is quite dark. More important than this release is the promise of more to come, and that Peter has regained his passion for creating music. I'm excited by the prospect of another album.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

Nothing wrong with dark and moody -- if only it were just that.

I purchased the limited-edition white vinyl and CD, just to find out that the CD doesn't come in a standard CD packaging, with booklet and inlaycard included but just the CD, slipped into the album sleeve. This was a bit of a let-down, especially since I didn't want to cut the sealed album open, just to get to the CD. This wasn't mentioned on the BureauB website either. Make of this what you wish. I for one felt a little cheated.

Musically, I am not sure whether this was supposed to be a bad joke (i. e. failed German attempt at being funny) or a serious musical statement. If the latter is the case, I wonder how people would respond to this album if it had not been recorded by someone like Peter Baumann (whose reputation is based on deeds from days of yore) but by one of those third or fourth-generation TD soundalikes that seem to make up the majority of synthesiser music performers these days. Honestly, some of these bedroom musicians and amateurs do hold up better in terms of performance and production.

Would people still be overwhelmed by this record and welcome it enthusiastically, had it been recorded by John Smith, or would they sniff at it and say "what's the point of releasing an album full of badly played music that would already have been crappy some 40 years ago?"

Even the missus thought someone was playing a silly joke on her... and she most certainly isn't the most distinguished expert on this type of music.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

projekt-elektronik wrote:Nothing wrong with dark and moody -- if only it were just that.

I purchased the limited-edition white vinyl and CD, just to find out that the CD doesn't come in a standard CD packaging, with booklet and inlaycard included but just the CD, slipped into the album sleeve. This was a bit of a let-down, especially since I didn't want to cut the sealed album open, just to get to the CD. This wasn't mentioned on the BureauB website either. Make of this what you wish. I for one felt a little cheated.

Musically, I am not sure whether this was supposed to be a bad joke (i. e. failed German attempt at being funny) or a serious musical statement. If the latter is the case, I wonder how people would respond to this album if it had not been recorded by someone like Peter Baumann (whose reputation is based on deeds from days of yore) but by one of those third or fourth-generation TD soundalikes that seem to make up the majority of synthesiser music performers these days. Honestly, some of these bedroom musicians and amateurs do hold up better in terms of performance and production.

Would people still be overwhelmed by this record and welcome it enthusiastically, had it been recorded by John Smith, or would they sniff at it and say "what's the point of releasing an album full of badly played music that would already have been crappy some 40 years ago?"

Even the missus thought someone was playing a silly joke on her... and she most certainly isn't the most distinguished expert on this type of music.
Quite why anyone would expect to get a CD, WITH packaging, when buying the vinyl edition is beyond me. The vinyl version was only about 5 Euro more than the CD on its own.
Jon

Post by Jon »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:I was expecting more melody, more FEELING, but what I came away with was mainly just SOUNDS; interesting sounds, yes, but just SOUNDS.
That's why I haven't bought it.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:
RAYMAN1970 wrote:I was expecting more melody, more FEELING, but what I came away with was mainly just SOUNDS; interesting sounds, yes, but just SOUNDS.
That's why I haven't bought it.
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

It's music....
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

projekt-elektronik wrote:Nothing wrong with dark and moody -- if only it were just that.

"Honestly, some of these bedroom musicians and amateurs do hold up better in terms of performance and production."

This statement alone proves that you really have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to either musical composition or performance. MACHINES OF DESIRE is one of the most impressive albums in the synth/EM genre to come out in the past 10 years, and the- mostly UK based- third or fourth-generation TD soundalikes you're referring to wouldn't even be able to remotely conceive music of this quality. If you want "badly played/crappy music", let's start back in the 90's with Neu Harmony, Centaur Discs, DiN etc etc which ultimately brought about "those third or fourth-generation TD soundalikes" you apparently worship. Who are also all on their own labels because someone like Bureau B would never, ever touch them. Conversely, they not only liked (and released) Peter Baumann's new album but it sold well enough to justify the rerelease of his first two solo albums on their label as well.

Getting to your main issue:

In some ways, Baumann's solo stuff is deceptively simple on the surface but repeated listenings reveal a much greater depth and- to the intelligent listener anyway- the amount of thought that went into each piece as it was being crafted. So for you to come out with something flip like "Peter Baumann (whose reputation is based on deeds from days of yore)" only serves to illustrate that you don't understand why Tangerine Dream became popular back in the 70's to begin with. There would not have been a Tangerine Dream as we all know them were it not for the contributions of both Baumann and Franke. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't make a point of complaining about the little sonic throwbacks to his earlier albums that were included on MoD. Which you would have thought was "brilliant" had it happened on other releases, I'm certain. Baumann may be finding his footing again after a very long absence, but the point is he actually had one to begin with.

I would be curious to hear you explain- at length- how the multiple albums you released with the band you were in have managed to eclipse the "days of yore" and also why your recent solo album is better than MACHINES OF DESIRE. BTW, what was the name of the genre pioneering band you were in again? And how many successful solo albums have you released since you left to strike out on your own? What did you do to improve on the "performance and production" each and every time?

You are SO wrong, for SO MANY different reasons...
projekt-elektronik

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your infinte wisdom with me.

I am humbled.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

projekt-elektronik wrote:Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your infinte wisdom with me.

I am humbled.

Well I don't know about "infinite wisdom", but I'm certainly a lot more in touch with common sense than you are. And the fact that you posted the original diatribe- only to be reduced to mumbling a few sarcastic word after I responded- again proves my point that you have no idea what you're talking about as far as music is concerned. You guys think you're being trendy by trashing an established artist, new release etc, but as soon as someone else responds and tears your original post to shreds you're literally "humbled" (as you put it) into silence. Which only serves to prove that you can't support your initial argument to begin with, and in all likelihood never could. Which begs the question why make the post in the first place?
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Have to agree with the X factor here.

You Mr P-E frequently slag and belittle the music of others. Always more successful , respected and considerably more talented musicians it has to be said. Perhaps herein lies the issue. I have seen you do this many times to Tangerine Dream and Edgar elsewhere., and many others . Never your own music though eh ? In fact you constantly post about listening to your own "music" ( absolute minter ( look it up)). For your info due to the way you conduct yourself towards others and the music of others , I have never and will never acquire anything by yourself. I did listen to one on bandcamp and thought it was very poor. There you have it , not very pleasant when your music gets slagged off eh ?

Your rant above regarding Machines of Desire sums you up perfectly.

Sorcerer X
projekt-elektronik

sorcerer wrote: [...] For your info due to the way you conduct yourself towards others and the music of others , I have never and will never acquire anything by yourself. I did listen to one on bandcamp and thought it was very poor. [...]
Oh, no!

That's a real bummer, man.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

projekt-elektronik wrote: Oh, no!

That's a real bummer, man.

Ah, sarcasm. The dry hump of mental defense mechanisms.

In one sense, I can see why you'd resort to that. Making a grand total of four sales from your music as opposed to (possibly) five probably doesn't even register with you because you've undoubtedly blamed the non-sales on people "just not getting" what you're doing. Sorcerer makes a very good point though inasmuch as your response to his post is **exactly** what would be expected from the kind of person he described. You've been called out on what you wrote- twice, I might add- and rather than even make an attempt to defend or support your original statements all you can muster is a poorly worded sarcastic response towards the people who called you out and not address what you were actually called out on. Again, twice in a row. So, sarcasm AND misdirection.

As I said previously: you are SO wrong, for SO MANY different reasons. I'll pose a simple question though- 40 years after it's original release, Peter Baumann's debut solo album was remastered & reissued. Where- specifically- will your music be in 2057? Will people still be discussing/remembering it the same way they're discussing TD, Baumann et al right now?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

An immense return from peter....yes it is sounds, but it has atmosphere....i look forward to the next release... :D
...The wise.....are silent.....