Schmoelling's DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI (1994) on eBay

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Schmoelling's DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI (1994) on eBay

Post by TheXFactor »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301824966378?ss ... 1555.l2649 (remember to right click the link in order to see it)

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of attention for this one, honestly. The Steve Schroyder CDs are getting more hits, and I'd argue that Schmoelling's solo material is somewhat more followed by TD fans.
Last edited by TheXFactor on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rigel

Re: Schmoelling's DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI (1994) on eBa

Post by rigel »

I remember when this came out and was listed in the CDS (Dundee) catalog. If I remember correctly, this is a spoken word storybook CD with accompanying music by Schmoelling but the music is in the background. Unlike the Rumpelstiltskin release there are no separate standalone tracks on it without the words over the top. I never had this CD but I think this was how it was described by CDS so I decided not to buy it.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

rigel wrote:I remember when this came out and was listed in the CDS (Dundee) catalog. If I remember correctly, this is a spoken word storybook CD with accompanying music by Schmoelling but the music is in the background. Unlike the Rumpelstiltskin release there are no separate standalone tracks on it without the words over the top. I never had this CD but I think this was how it was described by CDS so I decided not to buy it.

That sounds like a pretty good description based on what I remember as well. Even though it's not a synth/EM album in the traditional sense, I know there are certain collectors who just need to own a copy of every single rare TD and related item in existence. Given the fact that this was never available in large quantities to begin with- not to mention it being OOP for almost two decades- I would have guess it'd be the first item to get a bid. Edgar's MACULA TRANSFER has been similarly ignored- and it's the official release from Manikin too.
rigel

Post by rigel »

That makes sense, and being a big Scmoelling fan I would be tempted, but not at that price :wink: Actually I'm thinking if I was ever to buy DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI I should have done so 20 years ago!

Is the Manikin release of MACULA TRANSFER the original bonafide album without overdubs/rerecordings etc? I ask because I only ever had the original vinyl which I can no longer play as I don't have a record player :?
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

rigel wrote:That makes sense, and being a big Scmoelling fan I would be tempted, but not at that price :wink: Actually I'm thinking if I was ever to buy DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI I should have done so 20 years ago!
It's tricky coming up with prices on rare items. Normally you can look and see what they've previously sold for on eBay, compare that with current active auctions, and arrive at a number. When that's not an option (which is the case here), Discogs is a good site to fall back on- especially since you can see a low, median, and high price for completed sales as well as current asking prices. Again, not an option here. In that particular set of circumstances, I use the aforementioned parameters for a similar release from the same general time frame and that becomes the price point. If it sits around for a few months unsold, then you start lowering it.

rigel wrote:Is the Manikin release of MACULA TRANSFER the original bonafide album without overdubs/rerecordings etc? I ask because I only ever had the original vinyl which I can no longer play as I don't have a record player :?
Yup!! Even has the info at the bottom of the rear tray card slightly cut off- which is a sure sign of the actual pressing on Manikin and not the pirate repressing. I'll bet whoever was responsible for the bootleg version thought they were being clever by actually fixing that. :mrgreen:
Last edited by TheXFactor on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rigel

Post by rigel »

TheXFactor wrote:
rigel wrote:That makes sense, and being a big Scmoelling fan I would be tempted, but not at that price :wink: Actually I'm thinking if I was ever to buy DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI I should have done so 20 years ago!
It's tricky coming up with prices on rare items. Normally you can look and see what they've previously sold for on eBay, compare that with current active auctions, and arrive at a number. When that's not an option (which is the case here), Discogs is a good site to fall back on- especially since you can see a low, median, and high price for complete sales as well as current asking prices. Again, not an option here. In that particular set of circumstances, I use the aforementioned parameters for a similar release from the same general time frame and that becomes the price point. If it sits around for a few months unsold, then you start lowering it.

rigel wrote:Is the Manikin release of MACULA TRANSFER the original bonafide album without overdubs/rerecordings etc? I ask because I only ever had the original vinyl which I can no longer play as I don't have a record player :?
Yup!! Even has the info at the bottom of the rear tray card slightly cut off- which is a sure sign of the actual pressing on Manikin and not the pirate repressing. I'll bet whoever was responsible for the bootleg version thought they were being clever by actually fixing that. :mrgreen:
Ah, thanks for that. It would be good to listen to MACULA TRANSER again on my good old fashioned and still working after 24 years (touch wood!) separates hi fi system :) And I get your points about pricing of rare items. If it is really very rare then I think a seller has a right to price up, as there will always be some financially flushed avid fan who really wants it. But as with rare out of print vintage books, some sellers on Ebay do take the whatsit a bit with their pricing :wink:
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

rigel wrote:Ah, thanks for that. It would be good to listen to MACULA TRANSER again on my good old fashioned and still working after 24 years (touch wood!) separates hi fi system :) And I get your points about pricing of rare items. If it is really very rare then I think a seller has a right to price up, as there will always be some financially flushed avid fan who really wants it. But as with rare out of print vintage books, some sellers on Ebay do take the whatsit a bit with their pricing :wink:

I've actually offered the rare stuff a few times as a possible trade here, but never had any takers. So it all went back on the shelf until recently when I decided to just straight-up sell them. I actually bought a rare book on eBay once by doing exactly what you described. Waited from the initial price point of $500 (which was ridiculous) all the way down to $250 (which was very reasonable considering the rarity). Plus I had a $10 bonus something-or-other from eBay (this was quite a few years ago) so that covered my registered, insured shipping costs. 8)

Macula Transfer remains a personal favorite of mine, and I really wish Virgin had licensed/included the album (and the two SOLO 1974-1979 remixes) for inclusion in their Edgar Froese Box set. Ditto for KAMIKAZE 1989. It just got relisted, but if you have a good copy of PURPLE DILUVIAL available for trade shoot me a PM.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Der Zaubergeiger is actually not that rare, bought it for 4 Euros on eBay last month...
rigel

Post by rigel »

multivit72 wrote:Der Zaubergeiger is actually not that rare, bought it for 4 Euros on eBay last month...
Fair enough, although perhaps the demand for this release is minimal. Pricing is affected by popularity as well as rarity...plus an Ebay seller not realising the value of what they've got (one hopes for this lol). Even better though if you find what you want in a charity shop. A few years ago I found a remarkable selection of vintage SF paperbacks in an Oxfam Bookshop. It's possible they were donated by relatives of some old SF fan/collector who had passed away, and maybe they didn't appreciate the worth/rarity of what they had inherited/been lumbered with :wink:

On Schmoelling again, I was really glad the original Theta version of The Zoo of Tranquillity got a rerelease a while ago. The first pressing had become quite a rare item. And just thinking of Der Zaubergeiger, it would be good if we could get a CD release/download made available of the music without the words over the top. Just a thought. I suppose there may be a copyright issue there for Viktoriapark(?) to contend with.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

I actually found that I overpaid because it is available for only 2 Euros here (one of my favorite Shops) - so if any of you is still looking:

http://www.medimops.de/martin-burckhard ... 25ET3.html