origin of the 'Sobornost' mystery?

TheXFactor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

origin of the 'Sobornost' mystery?

Post by TheXFactor »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JpfHt8CiPk

It's credited as Edgar solo and not TD, although this track was certainly performed at TD concerts in the early 80's.

Who knows the actual story here?
rigel

Post by rigel »

Well, I don't for sure in this case, but numerous TD tracks were written by just one member of the group but were performed by the band and indeed appeared on TD albums. "Mothers of Rain," for example, was apparently composed solely by Edgar Froese.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

One interesting composition mystery is 'Song of the Whale', which Paul Haslinger claimed he wrote BEFORE he joined TD and presented to them, only to see Edgar and Chris take the credit for it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Peter Beasley wrote:One interesting composition mystery is 'Song of the Whale', which Paul Haslinger claimed he wrote BEFORE he joined TD and presented to them, only to see Edgar and Chris take the credit for it.
Where on earth have you heard this?
Erik

Post by Erik »

edgar IS paul haslinger
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Jon wrote:
Peter Beasley wrote:One interesting composition mystery is 'Song of the Whale', which Paul Haslinger claimed he wrote BEFORE he joined TD and presented to them, only to see Edgar and Chris take the credit for it.
From journalist Mark Jenkins who interviewed Haslinger.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Peter Beasley wrote:
Jon wrote:
I'm sure I've read something similar on the internet. It was some sort of college project that EF and CF took and worked on. I suspect he gave them the raw backbone and they filled in the detail. Can't imagine for a moment that PH would have written the guitar parts which are so obviously Edgar's.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Jon

Post by Jon »

Chris Monk wrote:
Peter Beasley wrote:
Jon wrote: Where on earth have you heard this?
I'm sure I've read something similar on the internet. It was some sort of college project that EF and CF took and worked on. I suspect he gave them the raw backbone and they filled in the detail. Can't imagine for a moment that PH would have written the guitar parts which are so obviously Edgar's.
I jusr asked Paul about this, and he said that all of the songs on US were written together, all three members. But Chris and Edgar didn't feel Paul had "earned" writer's credit at the time, that's why he is not credited. Paul did not mind at the time, he was just happy to be in TD...
Last edited by Jon on Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Jon wrote:I jusr asked Paul about this, and he said that all of the songs on US were written together, all three members. But Chris and Edgar didn't feel Paul had "earned" writer's credit at the time, that's why he is not credited. Paul did not mind at the time, he was just happy tp be in TD...
So someone has been 'inaccurate'! Interesting that the three all wrote together for 'Underwater Sunlght', whereas on the previous studio album 'Le Parc' and subsequent albums ('Optical Race', 'Lily on the Beach') they wrote individually. Maybe because Paul was new to the band they adopted the comradley approach for 'U.S'.

Surely Paul composed the beautiful piano solo at the beginning of 'Song of the Whale ... to dusk"? He played it after all. That alone deserves a writing credit.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Peter Beasley wrote:
Jon wrote:I jusr asked Paul about this, and he said that all of the songs on US were written together, all three members. But Chris and Edgar didn't feel Paul had "earned" writer's credit at the time, that's why he is not credited. Paul did not mind at the time, he was just happy tp be in TD...
So someone has been 'inaccurate'! Interesting that the three all wrote together for 'Underwater Sunlght', whereas on the previous studio album 'Le Parc' and subsequent albums ('Optical Race', 'Lily on the Beach') they wrote individually. Maybe because Paul was new to the band they adopted the comradley approach for 'U.S'.

Surely Paul composed the beautiful piano solo at the beginning of 'Song of the Whale ... to dusk"? He played it after all. That alone deserves a writing credit.
Hmm...any idea which tracks on Le Parc, Optical Race and Lily On The Beach were written by which member? At least the sleeve from Lily doesn't say anything about this, only "all music written by Froese/Haslinger."

I guess you may be right about the piano solo. Paul usually answers questions via his Facebook profile.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Jon wrote:Hmm...any idea which tracks on Le Parc, Optical Race and Lily On The Beach were written by which member? At least the sleeve from Lily doesn't say anything about this, only "all music written by Froese/Haslinger."
The members and ex-members of TD have released plenty of solo works from which the attentive listener, with a bit of musical and technical knowledge, should be able to deduce the different writing, performing and production styles of individual members. It's not always easy though.

Paul Haslinger (again during the interview with Mark Jenkins) said that he composed the majority of tracks on 'Optical Race' and 'Lily on the Beach' whilst Edgar concentrated more on band management affairs.
Jon

Post by Jon »

[/quote]The members and ex-members of TD have released plenty of solo works from which the attentive listener, with a bit of musical and technical knowledge, should be able to deduce the different writing, performing and production styles of individual members.[/quote]

:roll:
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Peter Beasley wrote:Paul Haslinger (again during the interview with Mark Jenkins) said that he composed the majority of tracks on 'Optical Race' and 'Lily on the Beach' whilst Edgar concentrated more on band management affairs.

Paul was primary composer on 8 of the 10 tracks from OPTICAL RACE, and the two he wasn't are clearly Edgar compositions.
Jon

Post by Jon »

TheXFactor wrote:
Peter Beasley wrote:Paul Haslinger (again during the interview with Mark Jenkins) said that he composed the majority of tracks on 'Optical Race' and 'Lily on the Beach' whilst Edgar concentrated more on band management affairs.

Paul was primary composer on 8 of the 10 tracks from OPTICAL RACE, and the two he wasn't are clearly Edgar compositions.
Ralf Wadephul had quite a bit of input on Sun Gate.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

TheXFactor wrote: Paul was primary composer on 8 of the 10 tracks from OPTICAL RACE, and the two he wasn't are clearly Edgar compositions.
Jon wrote: Ralf Wadephul had quite a bit of input on Sun Gate.

Right, I had forgotten about that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I read it was originally a song Ralf had written and it was adapted/expanded for inclusion on the album. Honestly, I hear both Paul and Edgar's influence on it. So in addition to that, I'll amend my above statement and say that Paul was primary composer on 7 of the 10 tracks from OPTICAL RACE, and the two he wasn't are clearly Edgar compositions.