Question about Steve Jolliffe

Erik
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Question about Steve Jolliffe

Post by Erik »

on this article about his solo release "Poland", it mentions track one have an old recording of TD from 1967. was he a part of the band? i didn't know any TD recordings existed from that time
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

Yes, he was member of Tangerine Dream. But this was around 1969 and not 1967!!!

The lineup at this time was Edgar Froese, Klaus Schulze and Steve Jolliffe. They did a short germany tour together.

The excerpt is a short improvisation from that time where you can hear Edgar Froese jamming on guitar.

You can read more about this time here:

http://www.stevejolliffe.net/archive-1/interview-3/

You can also read his autobiography where he writes about more details.
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

Look, here is a short clip from that era with Edgar Froese and Steve Jolliffe at the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dof4Fh9MDac

They met in an electronic music studio in Berlin. The drummer is Al Akhbar who was replaced by Klaus Schulze shortly after that.
24db

Post by 24db »

phaedra1974 wrote:Look, here is a short clip from that era with Edgar Froese and Steve Jolliffe at the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dof4Fh9MDac

They met in an electronic music studio in Berlin. The drummer is Al Akhbar who was replaced by Klaus Schulze shortly after that.
Thomas Kessler's 'Beat Studio' in Wilmersdorf, Berlin. Originally partly funded by Chris Franke's mother
Erik

Post by Erik »

ok, so what was the 1968 line-up? was it completely changed from the 1967 line-up?
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Is his solo music any good, I must say I have not bothered with anything. going by some of the titles and covers I get a feeeling his music might be New Age stuff whatever that means :P :wink:
phaedra1974

Post by phaedra1974 »

cantosis wrote:Is his solo music any good, I must say I have not bothered with anything. going by some of the titles and covers I get a feeeling his music might be New Age stuff whatever that means :P :wink:

Steve Jolliffes music is definitely not New Age.
There are three albums "Broken wings", "Alien" and "Ethereal" with relaxing electronic world music but I wouldn´t call them New Age.

Steve has released a lot of great ambient albums and also some jazz and classical stuff.

It is very unfair for a musician to write such deprecative things if you have NO knowledge about his music...
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

phaedra1974 wrote:
cantosis wrote:Is his solo music any good, I must say I have not bothered with anything. going by some of the titles and covers I get a feeeling his music might be New Age stuff whatever that means :P :wink:

There are three albums "Broken wings", "Alien" and "Ethereal" with relaxing electronic world music but I wouldn´t call them New Age.

Steve has released a lot of great ambient albums and also some jazz and classical stuff.

It is very unfair for a musician to write such deprecative things if you have NO knowledge about his music...
SO I take it your not a new age music fan :wink:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

cantosis wrote:
phaedra1974 wrote:

My recommendations if you want to dip your toe into his music is to try 'Beyond the Dream' and 'Omni'. They're two favourites of mine.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
phaedra1974 wrote:

In truth some of Steve's music does edge towards NA stuff...BUT he's far too good a musician to be labelled under that hideous title.

try Journeys out of the Body