Paul Haslinger - Shoot Em Up

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Paul Haslinger - Shoot Em Up

Post by Jon »

I saw this 2007 film yesterday. The score by Haslinger was decent, the soundtrack album features 22 rather short tracks by him.

Has anyone got the CD?

Opinions on film or CD?

Sound clips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UA ... d_i=507846
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I am not too fond of Haslinger's soundtracks. They work together with the movies, but without the pictures the music is usually a bit annoying. But that goes for most soundtracks, in my opinion (not the TD soundtracks that can be considered regular TD albums, of course).
Did not he also have the music for Death Race? I saw that movie (terrible), but cannot remember any of the music.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

...and PH CDs are hard to get anyway. Death Race is £49 at amazon.co.uk :roll:
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I've lost touch with PH releases... there were so many to keep up with and many of the CDs contained so much other music, or were made up of too many short edits. I think the last one I bought was 'Girl next door'.

It's a pity because there are some real gems within these releases. His first couple of albums have dated a lot for me, although I liked them to begin with.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:I am not too fond of Haslinger's soundtracks. They work together with the movies, but without the pictures the music is usually a bit annoying. But that goes for most soundtracks, in my opinion (not the TD soundtracks that can be considered regular TD albums, of course).
Did not he also have the music for Death Race? I saw that movie (terrible), but cannot remember any of the music.
Shoot Em Up is only 8 dollars.
I agree that his soundtracks are not the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, but they are at least more interesting than the standard symphonic scores by lots of ther composers. But he has completely removed all traces of his TD-past in his music, and *that's* a shame. It's not a time he wants to look back upon.
I don't agree that most soundtracks are boring though, I know of several good composers. Here is a list, check it out. These are the top synth/contemporary film composers from the last 30 years or so:

Sylvester Levay, Harold Faltermeyer, Jan Hammer, Tangerine Dream, Jay Ferguson, Patrick Leonard, David Foster, Hans Zimmer, Mark Mancina, Gary Chang, Giorgio Moroder, Nick Glennie-Smith, Trevor Rabin, BT, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Craig Armstrong, Vangelis, Patrick O'Hearn, W.G. Snuffy Walden, Jeff Rona, Klaus Badelt, Christopher Franke, Vince DiCola, Eduard Artemyev, Paul Haslinger, Jonathan Elias, Yves Laferriere, Tim Truman, Alan Silvestri 1986/87, Mark Isham, Steve Jablonsky, Eric Serra, Paul Hertzog

Yes, Death Race is really expensive. It went out of print from Intrada Records pretty fast.
Jon

Post by Jon »

billythefish wrote:I've lost touch with PH releases... there were so many to keep up with and many of the CDs contained so much other music, or were made up of too many short edits. I think the last one I bought was 'Girl next door'.

It's a pity because there are some real gems within these releases. His first couple of albums have dated a lot for me, although I liked them to begin with.
And The Girl Next Door had only a few short snippets by Haslinger...

I don't really listen to his 90s solo albums much, but he needs to release a new one anyway. It has been more than 10 years since the last one. But of course, the money is in the film music, not at all in the solo albums.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Regarding the price for Death Race. Amazon mentions they have new CDs for £49. OK, the Death Race CD got sold out, but they obviously has got a few copies left. Do Amazon take benefit of it beeing a rare CD and selling it very expensive (like private sellers do)? And in that case; is it legal by a company to do that?
24db

Post by 24db »

it's a shame that Paul didn't continue is collaboration with Lightwave or the Coma Virus project, generally far more interesting than the usual Hollywood fodder (stale audio accompanyment to here today gone tommorrow movies)...all IMHO of course. Once again the money might be in Hollywood, but artistically? hmmm for some (Paul's a relatively young bloke so it would be unwise to right him off just yet...the jury is still out) it can be a creative killer.

A quote from Chris Franke: "If you just do soundtracks without a solo career then you can some how be treated as a slave"

Paul? Chris? Michael?...solo albums please!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:Regarding the price for Death Race. Amazon mentions they have new CDs for £49. OK, the Death Race CD got sold out, but they obviously has got a few copies left. Do Amazon take benefit of it beeing a rare CD and selling it very expensive (like private sellers do)? And in that case; is it legal by a company to do that?
It's not Amazon that sells it for £49, it's the Amazon Marketplace sellers. I don't think Amazon gets any of that money.
Jon

Post by Jon »

24db wrote:it's a shame that Paul didn't continue is collaboration with Lightwave or the Coma Virus project, generally far more interesting than the usual Hollywood fodder (stale audio accompanyment to here today gone tommorrow movies)...all IMHO of course. Once again the money might be in Hollywood, but artistically? hmmm for some (Paul's a relatively young bloke so it would be unwise to right him off just yet...the jury is still out) it can be a creative killer.

A quote from Chris Franke: "If you just do soundtracks without a solo career then you can some how be treated as a slave"

Paul? Chris? Michael?...solo albums please!
Yes, seems like things have changed for Franke since that quote... :roll:

I guess Haslinger will be in the music business for 20 more years, so I guess there is still hope for some good stuff.
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

I finally got around to watching this turkey tonight. What an awful movie. A real low point in TD connected movies. Awful stuff. Avoid.