Johannes Schmoelling: a thousand times

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:Even so Andy you still get new music coming out that sounds original and fresh even if the technology is old hat. and what about granular synthesis? I dont know much about it but it sounded quite fresh from what I have heard on the Namlook albums?
granular synthesis? it didn't strike me as anything new at all, or perhaps it's fairer to say you could have done it years ago, but it would have taken years...all technology has done has made it quicker, the same way that tape was replaced by sampling and then in turn by hard-discs (in theory a tape recorder could do what a Mellotron did...it would have just taken a very long time and a lot of splicing...see Holger Czukay's first album Canaxis, years ahead of Eno and Bryne and yet they got most of the praise). Perhaps as a musician I listen to things slightly differently (no better or worse, just a tad differently), although I should add always emotionally first. This is why (for me) the best tracks on Johannes's new album are the most emotional, I can't ask Johannes to come up with something I've never heard before if the combined might and brains of Korg, Yamaha, Roland et al are looking back for the latest thing, rather than pushing things forward. In someways EM has reached adulthood, rather than trying to find what it can do (the teenage years), musicians are confronted by the problem of 'what do I want to say'? 'How do I combine things'? etc etc...and that's something that all artists have done for hundreds of years, whatever the medium, whatever the message.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

interesting posts Andy

:arrow:
Last edited by bigmoog on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...The wise.....are silent.....
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:interesting posts Andy

but there is imho Electronic Music that still innovates and surprises....not 'berlin school',..such as NWW, Whitehouse, rectalpolyp attack, bileduct, etc etc :wink:
I agree with you and Matt, whatever your musical taste is there's always something good out there (wherever the 'there' is!). In 1975 95% of music was utter rubbish and 5% was brilliant...I very much doubt whether it's changed now...the problem is or rather the art is finding the stuff that floats your boat, relaxes you, makes you think or jump around like an winner. Music is a tool, a man-made drug with few side effects, it's the only one where we are in control of the musical chemist shop (probably a good thing). However when music develops rules....you must have this or you can't have that...it's dead.

Anyone for TD rehab? ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I am listening to it now and enjoy it very much......if you do not enjoy it then fine,each to their own. :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

99% of that you could have done with a sampler and with the human ear it wouldn't have sounded even slightly different IMHO. All the software has allowed the musician to do is go from the idea to the result much much quicker...within seconds rather than weeks or months...for that the developers should be highly praised. I can only comment that the end results don't float my boat that much, but that's just subjective opionion...not fact
Last edited by 24db on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:I am listening to it now and enjoy it very much......if you do not enjoy it then fine,each to their own. :)
that's what music is about mate :)
24db

Post by 24db »

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
— Michelangelo
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

I just LOVE how 'Kiterunner' transforms into a regular 'Baba O'Riley' tribute, at the 02:23 mark. Wonderful! 8)
When it's dark enough, you can see the stars.
ant

Post by ant »

:) Ok, it may not be breaking new ground but does every new album have to be?? TD were breaking new ground in the 70's but I doubt anyone would say that about them now but I still love their music. I find most artists/bands are the same. They are ground-breaking or different when they start , sometimes producing what we call a 'classic' album, as JS did with White-Out, then tend to tread familiar ground the rest of their careers. I just don't think that means the music is any the worse for it and I still love it. If he does another experimental album, great. If he doesn't it's still great. I am happy either way but I realise that is just my opinion. :D
Biggus Dickus