Peter Baumann a reappraisal

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Peter Baumann a reappraisal

Post by 24db »

Peter Baumann, he's a member of TD that often gets overlooked, the old thought process goes, 'Oh Chris did ALL the sequencing, Edgar did ALL the Mellotron and Peter did...er, well er...he probably did some effects and er other stuff'. Like most neat (and rather pat IMHO) ideas (myths?)this 'theory' doesn't always get near the truth of the matter.

So....Peter Baumann, Time for a Reappraisal?:

Have a look at the few videos of TD playing in the 70's and you'll see that Peter's contribution is far far more than is first apparent. He's providing melodies, chords, effects and shock horror...rhythmic stuff (with sequencers). In 1979 just after he had left TD Peter was interviewed in one of the UK music weeklies, he was asked 'what was your greatest contribution to TD's sound?'...and the answer....'Rhythmic stuff'. Now this doesn't sit well with some fans ideas about what TD 'are' or were. What I'm saying is that TD didn't infact have hard and fast 'rolls' and that the musicians in TD could swap these duties between them. Or to put it another way, they should be seen as 'complete composers', rounded individuals and not some two dimensional cut-outs possing before flashing lights and patch leads.

If you give Peter's first two solo LPs a quick spin you'll hear complete and full compositions, very complex arrangements, full of melodies, driving rhythms and sequences, full of emotion and experimentation.
epsilon75

Re: Peter Baumann a reappraisal

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Peter Baumann, he's a member of TD that often gets overlooked, the old thought process goes, 'Oh Chris did ALL the sequencing, Edgar did ALL the Mellotron and Peter did...er, well er...he probably did some effects and er other stuff'. Like most neat (and rather pat IMHO) ideas (myths?)this 'theory' doesn't always get near the truth of the matter.

Have a look at the few videos of TD playing in the 70's and you'll see that Peter's contribution is far far more than is first apparent. He's providing melodies, chords, effects and shock horror...rhythmic stuff (with sequencers). In 1979 just after he had left TD Peter was interviewed in one of the UK music weeklies, he was asked 'what was your greatest contribution to TD's sound?'...and the answer....'Rhythmic stuff'. Now this doesn't sit well with some fans ideas about what TD 'are' or were. What I'm saying is that TD didn't infact have hard and fast 'rolls' and that the musicians in TD could swap these duties between them. Or to put it another way, they should be seen as 'complete composers', rounded individuals and not some two dimensional cut-outs possing before flashing lights and patch leads.

If you give Peter's first two solo LPs a quick spin you'll hear complete and full compositions, very complex arrangements, full of melodies, driving rhythms and sequences, full of emotion and experimentation.
"Romance 76" and "Transharmonic nights" are outstanding, and listening to these two albums i think your PB theory is spot on :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:Peter Baumann, he's a member of TD that often gets overlooked, the old thought process goes, 'Oh Chris did ALL the sequencing, Edgar did ALL the Mellotron and Peter did...er, well er...he probably did some effects and er other stuff'. Like most neat (and rather pat IMHO) ideas (myths?)this 'theory' doesn't always get near the truth of the matter.

I've always thought this to be the case, so no reappraisal needed from me. No doubt, the confirmation will come in EF's book.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:

"Romance 76" and "Transharmonic nights" are outstanding, and listening to these two albums i think your PB theory is spot on :arrow:
Cheers mate, 'if' these albums were easier to get hold of then, perhaps, fans would have a clearer idea....or put it another way, a more 'balanced' view of the greatest synth rock group in the world
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:

I've always thought this to be the case, so no reappraisal needed from me. No doubt, the confirmation will come in EF's book.
Well there's some big hints about this from Edgar in the Q&A section. He should know that not everyone has been taken in by the old theories, and Peter's work will never be airbrushed out of TD's legacy. I do expect that Edgar will maintain the balance...and it's going to be a shock to some fans...a BIG shock!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

Cheers mate, 'if' these albums were easier to get hold of then, perhaps, fans would have a clearer idea....or put it another way, a more 'balanced' view of the greatest synth rock group in the world

Its nothing short of a disgrace why these two beauties have not been re-released on CD,im sure there are a lot of people who would love to hear them.......................i blame Virgin :x
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Peter Baumann did some great sequencing on Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights. Edgar did some great sequencing on his solo albums, aswell.
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Peter Baumann did some great sequencing on Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights. Edgar did some great sequencing on his solo albums, aswell.
Peter did some great sequencing on several TD albums, only certain people don't or won't except it :)
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

24db wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:Peter Baumann did some great sequencing on Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights. Edgar did some great sequencing on his solo albums, aswell.
Peter did some great sequencing on several TD albums, only certain people don't or won't except it :)
Yes, certain people should understand that there can be more than one string to someones bow.
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
24db wrote:
Yes, certain people should understand that there can be more than one string to someones bow.
Totally agree, btw this isn't meant to belittle anyone elses contribution within TD (there's been too much of that already).
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

Got to agree that PB is a much underated part of the machine. Romance '76 is a stunning piece of work, and Trans-Harmonic Nights has some great passages. The guy is a great loss to EM, more so, I'd say than Chris Franke, who has consistently disappointed me with his solo work.

Of course, it's easy to say all that about PB, with his small out put, and none of it very recent.

Romance '76 on CD is, for me, the Holy Grail of EM. The day I own that to hear again without the pops & crackles of my clapped out vinyl to CD copy, I'll die happy.
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

Echosnare wrote:Got to agree that PB is a much underated part of the machine. Romance '76 is a stunning piece of work, and Trans-Harmonic Nights has some great passages. The guy is a great loss to EM, more so, I'd say than Chris Franke, who has consistently disappointed me with his solo work.

Of course, it's easy to say all that about PB, with his small out put, and none of it very recent.

Romance '76 on CD is, for me, the Holy Grail of EM. The day I own that to hear again without the pops & crackles of my clapped out vinyl to CD copy, I'll die happy.
And no sending me it on CD in the hope I'll kick the bucket........
tuftuf

Post by tuftuf »

Echosnare wrote:
Echosnare wrote:Got to agree that PB is a much underated part of the machine. Romance '76 is a stunning piece of work, and Trans-Harmonic Nights has some great passages. The guy is a great loss to EM, more so, I'd say than Chris Franke, who has consistently disappointed me with his solo work.

Could send you by mailattachment the cd in pieces (no not broken) but then you don't have the cd itself ! :wink:

But can't but agree that Romance and Transharmonic Nights are 2 albums I play often and still give me the shivers ! ! !
music is part of my life, without music life would be senseless
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

tuftuf wrote:
Echosnare wrote:

Could send you by mailattachment the cd in pieces (no not broken) but then you don't have the cd itself ! :wink:

But can't but agree that Romance and Transharmonic Nights are 2 albums I play often and still give me the shivers ! ! !
I've got both on LP and CD and I have a question...

How come "Meadow Of Infinity" has two possible endings? The original LP has the ending quite quiet, gently fading away with not much happening. The later LP (and CD release) has a much more intense mix, almost building to a climax. Both are good, they just set a different mood, that's all...

Of course PB had sequencers (Chasing The Dream is a huge sequencer fest). As much as I think CF used two on the big modular, there must have been more so the different sections could be used live (otherwise CF would spend ALL, rather than some, of his time re-programming the thing...)
24db

Post by 24db »

DSJR wrote:
tuftuf wrote:
Echosnare wrote: And no sending me it on CD in the hope I'll kick the bucket........

I've got both on LP and CD and I have a question...

How come "Meadow Of Infinity" has two possible endings? The original LP has the ending quite quiet, gently fading away with not much happening. The later LP (and CD release) has a much more intense mix, almost building to a climax. Both are good, they just set a different mood, that's all...

Of course PB had sequencers (Chasing The Dream is a huge sequencer fest). As much as I think CF used two on the big modular, there must have been more so the different sections could be used live (otherwise CF would spend ALL, rather than some, of his time re-programming the thing...)
Td developed a programmer, that would switch between sequences, say 8 bars sequence one, 4 bars sequence two.

Btw PB's PE modular (all $18,000's of it) had at least 2 sequencers, and probably 4 (I'm going by the photos I have from PE).