Froese - The correct prenunciation

Barbakane
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Barbakane »

I'm something of a pronunciation stickler myself (it comes from my line of work in spoken voice recording). Plus I took German years ago in school.

The sound for ö (or "oe") is made by forming your mouth to say an "oh" sound, but instead, saying "ee". It takes a bit of practice and sounds odd the first several times you do it, but if you want to be absolutely correct about it, that's how you go. Same with ü - form your mouth to say "oo" and instead say "ee".

I knew a guy once who said Edgar "Freeze." That's rather cold, also. But he sounds like a superhero that way!
Pardon me, I have nothing to say.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Barbakane wrote:I'm something of a pronunciation stickler myself (it comes from my line of work in spoken voice recording). Plus I took German years ago in school.

The sound for ö (or "oe") is made by forming your mouth to say an "oh" sound, but instead, saying "ee". It takes a bit of practice and sounds odd the first several times you do it, but if you want to be absolutely correct about it, that's how you go. Same with ü - form your mouth to say "oo" and instead say "ee".

I knew a guy once who said Edgar "Freeze." That's rather cold, also. But he sounds like a superhero that way!
Just tried that. Good job nobody was around, as I looked and sounded ridiculous. Sort of came out like Tim Nice But Dim saying "Freezer".
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:
Barbakane wrote:I'm something of a pronunciation stickler myself (it comes from my line of work in spoken voice recording). Plus I took German years ago in school.

Just tried that. Good job nobody was around, as I looked and sounded ridiculous. Sort of came out like Tim Nice But Dim saying "Freezer".
A mate of mine Carl always said "Froze" :oops:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Barbakane

Post by Barbakane »

Making the ö and ü sounds by themselves does make one sound rather odd. But that's only because we don't have any equivalent to them in English. If you learn a little bit of the lingo (much of which I've regrettably lapsed with), you begin not to notice it.

A close approximation of the ö without much need for lip exercise is to just make it something of an "ur" sound. Crude, but effective. :)
Pardon me, I have nothing to say.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

oe=ö ........ sounds like the "ö" in "schön"
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

It's pronounced [FRØ·ZE] :wink:
Last edited by Pertou on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

actually it's pronounced 'Neville'...but he wants to keep it quiet ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:actually it's pronounced 'Neville'...but he wants to keep it quiet ;)
:shock: :? :?
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:actually it's pronounced 'Neville'...but he wants to keep it quiet ;)
rofalmao!!
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
JD

Post by JD »

epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:

I still say Froze ! I always said it and when I heard th correct pronunciation I didnt like it so Im not changing.
:wink:
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

JD wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote: Just tried that. Good job nobody was around, as I looked and sounded ridiculous. Sort of came out like Tim Nice But Dim saying "Freezer".
I still say Froze ! I always said it and when I heard th correct pronunciation I didnt like it so Im not changing.
I'm like that with "Phaedra"... I've heard the correct pronunciation, (fade-ra), but will forever know it as 'fi-dra'.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

billythefish wrote:I'm like that with "Phaedra"... I've heard the correct pronunciation, (fade-ra), but will forever know it as 'fi-dra'.
[fää-dra] or [fææ-dra] as we say in DK and Germany.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

billythefish wrote:
JD wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: A mate of mine Carl always said "Froze" :oops:
I'm like that with "Phaedra"... I've heard the correct pronunciation, (fade-ra), but will forever know it as 'fi-dra'.
I always assumed this to be pronounced "Fade-ra", but later discovered through research that the correct pronunciation is, in fact "Fee-dra".

http://web.uncg.edu/dcl/demo/flash/glos ... ossary.swf
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
timer

Post by timer »

From the Closing words on the Tempodrom & SBE2005 DVD's I think it's Frose.

Neville Froese - classic !
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Hobo wrote: I always assumed this to be pronounced "Fade-ra", but later discovered through research that the correct pronunciation is, in fact "Fee-dra".

http://web.uncg.edu/dcl/demo/flash/glos ... ossary.swf
I'm pretty sure it was intended to pronounced in German fää-dra