Froese - The correct prenunciation

Froesesque
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Froese - The correct prenunciation

Post by Froesesque »

That lad on the MFD promo put me right, for years I thought it was prenounced Fro-eze and after listening to the announcer on one of the live CD's for many years after I thought it was prenounced Fro-ze.

I think the guy interviewing Edgar on the MFD promo must be right, he was sitting right next to Edgar and prenounced it Fro-za and Edgar didn't correct him.

But how about Jerome?, there is a strange umlat looking thing above the O so whats the correct prenunciation for his name.

I apolgise to other members for creating such a boring thread :oops:
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
billythefish

Re: Froese - The correct prenunciation

Post by billythefish »

Froesesque wrote:That lad on the MFD promo put me right, for years I thought it was prenounced Fro-eze and after listening to the announcer on one of the live CD's for many years after I thought it was prenounced Fro-ze.

I think the guy interviewing Edgar on the MFD promo must be right, he was sitting right next to Edgar and prenounced it Fro-za and Edgar didn't correct him.

But how about Jerome?, there is a strange umlat looking thing above the O so whats the correct prenunciation for his name.

As I understand it, Froese has always been spelt that way, but it is quite common for Germans to spell their umlauted 'O's as 'OE's for the benefit of English speakers. Schmoelling is an example, where is native spelling is Schmolling (with an umlaut).

I was never in doubt about pronunciation though... the first LP I bought was Poland, and the announcer at the start got it right.
Last edited by billythefish on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

Froesesque wrote:That lad on the MFD promo put me right, for years I thought it was prenounced Fro-eze and after listening to the announcer on one of the live CD's for many years after I thought it was prenounced Fro-ze.

Spot on with the prenouncation...always been Fro-z-a. It sets my teeth on edge when people like Lou Gentile, who interviewed Edgar a few years back, repeatedly say Fro Zay...ugh :D :D

As far as i know Jerome is just Jerome. :)

btw I've started more boring thread myself :)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

billythefish wrote:

As I understand it, Froese has always been spelt that way, but it is quite common for Germans to spell their umlauted 'O's as 'OE's for the benefit of English speakers. Schmoelling is an example, where is native spelling is Schmolling (with an umlaut).
Quite right Stephen. The replacement of the umlaut with an "e", is to make it easy for those who don't use umlauts, on a keyboard for example.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

I think it was the announcer on Encore that prenounced it Fro-ze! :)
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
24db

Post by 24db »

Froesesque wrote:I think it was the announcer on Encore that prenounced it Fro-ze! :)
Well that guy's (prof Mota) use of English was...er creative to say the least. Have a listen to his 'between Encores' interview with Chris Franke on one of the Bootleg Box discs
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Ive always anounced it as Fro Zer................a mate of my Carl always said Froze :oops: yuck....sounds so cold :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Froese = GOD :shock:

End of pronouncation problems
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

alipaul wrote:Froese = GOD :shock:

End of pronouncation problems
Here Here :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Ive always anounced it as Fro Zer................a mate of my Carl always said Froze :oops: yuck....sounds so cold :wink:
Spot on Colin
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Pronunciation -- The correct speeling. (sorry, I couldnt resist) :twisted:

When I first discovered TD, my friend and I were saying it out loud "FRO-zee" even though I knew in my head (having had several years of German in school), that it should be "FRO-za." I'm not aware of any examples in German where a final 'e' does not take a schwa 'a' sound.

Now, then, is it FRANK, or FRAH-nka? I say the latter.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:Pronunciation -- The correct speeling. (sorry, I couldnt resist) :twisted:

When I first discovered TD, my friend and I were saying it out loud "FRO-zee" even though I knew in my head (having had several years of German in school), that it should be "FRO-za." I'm not aware of any examples in German where a final 'e' does not take a schwa 'a' sound.

Now, then, is it FRANK, or FRAH-nka? I say the latter.

And i'd agree :arrow:
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

See, they really should have stuff like this on the official website. You know, useful information.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:See, they really should have stuff like this on the official website. You know, useful information.
Wholeheartedly agree. In fact the forum could run a German course for those of us that didn't have the opportunity at school.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Danke Schon :D