Edgar & Chris Franke

Janus
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Janus »

David Ryle wrote:Anyone that can build this line from inside their head is a genius to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpeqcab_vXA

Not as easy as it seems. I'm not sure if it was Franke, Froese or Baumann but I have my suspicions.
Thanks for the link David.. nice to see and hear..Magic :D :D
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

One thing Chris Franke must receive credit for is the technical side in the early to mid-70s at least. If you read interviews with Edgar from this period he admits to being a novice and quite happily refers the interviewer to Franke for technical matters.
David Ryle

Post by David Ryle »

Peter Beasley wrote:One thing Chris Franke must receive credit for is the technical side in the early to mid-70s at least. If you read interviews with Edgar from this period he admits to being a novice and quite happily refers the interviewer to Franke for technical matters.
Thanks for the information. I know Baumann had commissioned Projekt Electronik for their gate clock and expander for the 960 sequencer. If my understanding is correct, Stratosfear was delayed a bit due to waiting for PE to complete it. At least this was what I was told recently from another fan.

Stratosfear was an awakening for me with the use of multiple synchronized sequential rhythms. I recently built a modular system around the Arrick reproduction of the Moog 960 for just this reason. The sounds and rhythms touches a cord within me like no other.
Two glasses Australian Shiraz, roaring fireplace, my Linda in arms and Rubycon on the player = BLISS
24db

Post by 24db »

David Ryle wrote:
Peter Beasley wrote:One thing Chris Franke must receive credit for is the technical side in the early to mid-70s at least. If you read interviews with Edgar from this period he admits to being a novice and quite happily refers the interviewer to Franke for technical matters.
Thanks for the information. I know Baumann had commissioned Projekt Electronik for their gate clock and expander for the 960 sequencer. If my understanding is correct, Stratosfear was delayed a bit due to waiting for PE to complete it. At least this was what I was told recently from another fan.

Stratosfear was an awakening for me with the use of multiple synchronized sequential rhythms. I recently built a modular system around the Arrick reproduction of the Moog 960 for just this reason. The sounds and rhythms touches a cord within me like no other.
Peter's HUGE PE modular was on stage at their Royal Albert Hall concert in June of 1976:

Stratosfear was recorded in August and the final LP was out in October (from memory I should add)

The Modular ready to be shipped at PE's workshop:

note all those sequencers ;) 'what Chris Franke didn't do all the sequencer stuff'? blimey ;)
Last edited by 24db on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthman1

Post by synthman1 »

Well, lets put this in its most obvious and basic fact. Personal style and preference aside on who you may think is you favorite member, Edgar Froese, Chris Franke, J Schmoelling, P Baumann, P Haslinger, etc. All are very capable composers. Its indisputable.

They each have a catalog of solo reference material to prove this. They each have written entire songs, not just rhythm parts, or sequences, or pads or baselines or melodies and leads, but every aspect.

There have been discussion sighting, Edgar played leads, Franke did the rythem part and Schmoelling played the chords exclusively. That is simply false.

Anyone who has watched the Poland concert or any other video footage from that era can clearly see Schmoelling and Franke playing melodies and leads as well.

I cant remember were I read or heard Froese or the band stating something to the effect “that each member did anything for any given piece of music”. This seems highly factually for a few reasons:

1. They all are capable of it.
2. It provided the ability for each band member to bring full or partial compositions to the table.
3. It provided the ability for each member to work independently and in a group setting at various times.
4. It offered a means for the band members to work on various things simultaneously.
5. Any composer who creates music with synthesizers wouldn’t want or agree to be limited to just a specific area of the song arrangement -especially when they all are capable of much more.

All I’m saying, it would be foolhardy to say Chris Franke didnt or couldn’t (should that actually happen) do this or that when clearly he can and has composed every aspect of songs - and not just berlin style, his soundtrack work goes well into symphonic, contemporary and world territories also.

You would have a hard time convincing anyone that while in TD he just putsed around or didn’t do much and suddenly when he left, he became this world class composer with such on-demand stylistic diversity to compose soundtrack work.

Sure, maybe there were some agreements that changed course or questionable things that happened that left hard feelings-fair enough, but I dont believe anything good can come from discrediting anyone at this point should that actually occur. It would open pandoras box that wouldnt be beneficial or my give the impression of bitterness and spite rather than "truth".

Should it happen though, I'll be ringside to watch the firework show!

Its the same thing that happens in any business. Someone works with or for a company for 20 years. Theres a rift and a split and all of a sudden the person who leaves is a good for nothing bum. Wost unproductive person they ever work with, right? You've heard this story a million times.

But yet, somehow they were there for 20 years? :wink:

In all fairness, Edgar never claimed or implied C Franke's involvement or any other past member was less than anyone elses creatively or compositionally.

The rift most certainly has to do with ideological divisions, a difference in directions on where to take things or falling outs on the business aspect.
Last edited by synthman1 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einstein's Barber (ADMIN)

Post by Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) »

Friends,

This is an idle topic....

I can assure you - we all know nothing. Let's accept it.

Regards,
EINSTEIN'S BARBER (ADMIN)
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. ALBERT EINSTEIN
24db

Post by 24db »

Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) wrote:Friends,

Regards,
I certainly know nothing, my posts prove it ;)
David Ryle

Post by David Ryle »

Regards,
Agreed. I'd rather not refer to anyone's capabilities or contributions. My intention was to acknowledge the beauty and genius of the entire work as a whole. (preaching to the choir?)

I have my mental pictures of how things happened but none are based on anything more than what I've seen or heard in the music. The sequential aspects of the modular synths is my interest and was the reason for my post.

Hat's off! to all three composers from that era - forever.

-David
Two glasses Australian Shiraz, roaring fireplace, my Linda in arms and Rubycon on the player = BLISS
timer

Post by timer »

Regards,

But this is what the average TD thrives on EB ! making the unknown to how you want it ! :lol:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

timer wrote:

Regards,

But this is what the average TD thrives on EB ! making the unknown to how you want it ! :lol:
May be we ought to take up jobs as writers for Eastenders? :wink:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:
timer wrote:

Regards,

May be we ought to take up jobs as writers for Eastenders? :wink:

We'd make a better job Eastenders is so predictable
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
har

Post by har »

alipaul wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: May be we ought to take up jobs as writers for Eastenders? :wink:

We'd make a better job Eastenders is so predictable
AP. Did you really mean to say " We'd make a better job Eastenders is complete and utter crud " ? :wink:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Correct Har
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

24db wrote:
David Ryle wrote:

Peter's HUGE PE modular was on stage at their Royal Albert Hall concert in June of 1976:

Stratosfear was recorded in August and the final LP was out in October (from memory I should add)

The Modular ready to be shipped at PE's workshop:

note all those sequencers ;) 'what Chris Franke didn't do all the sequencer stuff'? blimey ;)

Cool. 8)

:!: :arrow:
hansx

Post by hansx »

But a nice dream of me is, a cd from Edgar with Chris just like the Edgar and Johannes cd. I know, I know. It won't happen, but a man can dream. :D